Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help! 1979 Ski Tique: Velvet Drive Transmission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! 1979 Ski Tique: Velvet Drive Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
350G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! 1979 Ski Tique: Velvet Drive Transmission
    Posted: June-08-2015 at 2:30pm
Was attempting to get my 1979 Ski Tque with a Ford Commander 302 & Velvet Drive transmission on the water this weekend. We managed to revive the engine, but after running for less than a minute, it started pouring trans fluid out from the bottom of transmission where the bell housing meets the block. This was already a replacement transmission (used), the original transmission had the same fate. I'm now stuck with 2 blown transmissions.

I located a breakdown for this transmission in the manuals on the forums here. I don't have the exact model number of my trans handy, I'll grab it next weekend, but it looks like there is an Oil Seal (Part #2) on all the diagrams that seems to be a common point. It's also looks to be the last seal before the bell housing (I think?). Logic tells me that must be the seal that has gone bad. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should check out, or where I could get these parts?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 2:39pm
You're correct on the seal, but it should not have any pressure behind it. Rebuild time.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 3:01pm
I'd say call Skidim, get two front seals and you'd probably have two good trans.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 3:32pm
I blew up the Velvet Drive in my 78 Nautique years ago. A boat cut in front of me, I was going about 45 MPH, to avoid collision I threw it into reverse and hit full throttle. Panic move of course. I did avoid the collision but the tranny was blown. I am not a transmission guy but these are pretty simple inside. I pulled it apart, ordered all the broken parts in and put it back together. It worked like new again. It was not that hard to do.
350G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 3:47pm
I called a local performance trans shop I've used (Atomic Transmission in Villa Park, IL). He seemed comfortable talking about the trans and told me the oil seal in the front was most likely the culprit. For $100, he is going to disassemble the trans and give it a once over to check the condition, and if nothing is broken (hard part wise) it should be about $300 to check, clean, and replace the seals and other simple parts. He also said that the coolers plug up sometimes, and that could cause the pressure to make a seal pop. I can remove the cooler & hook it up to a garden hose, he said it should flow smoothly with no pressure out the other side. If there's any restriction or buildup coming out, they can possibly boil it or clean it to clear the obstruction. Hopefully it's just an old seal leaking and some dumb luck away from running again.

DrCC, what is SkiDim? Also, does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a rebuild If I send this thing out? I am definitely mechanically capable, but to be honest, transmissions have always scared me. What are the basic parts I should look at replacing if I decide to tackle it myself?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 5:01pm
Discount Inboard Marine   

don't quote me but I think normally a rebuild is approx. 700.00 - 800.00
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You're correct on the seal, but it should not have any pressure behind it. Rebuild time.

I totally agree! Eric used to really comment a lot about the issue. When the pump is worn beyond tolerance, it will by pass oil and pressurize the area behind the seal. A new seal will not solve the root of the problem.
Originally posted by 350G 350G wrote:

I called a local performance trans shop I've used (Atomic Transmission in Villa Park, IL).

Good luck with this. Sounds like an automotive trans shop. They aren't even close in design to a marine. The cooler plugging up and blowing the seal is BS!! If he is not versed in marine tran's as well as all the internal tolerances, this is a major mistake. BTW, I've been past the place and would even question taking a car in there!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 1:28am
Contact these guys:

http://fantasticfinishmarine.net
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
350G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 7:54pm
Well Atomic has done some trans work for me before, they are more of a muscle car type of place, so they haven't exactly worked on their building appearance, I could understand your hesitation lol. However, the guy knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the Velvet Drive. He was referring to the position of parts & things to check on my specific trans, so I'm guessing it's in his comfort zone. I will go ahead and contact some of the places you guys recommended.

I don't want to end up putting a thousand dollar trans into the boat as I have 2 Ski Tiques, and I'm hoping to sell both of them this year to move into a newer nautique. So if I dump a grand into the trans, that's money I won't get back. I love these old boats, but I need something a little bigger with open bow seating. 5 passengers isn't cutting it anymore.
soldthefarm3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldthefarm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 11:22pm
You can tray Federal Marine Transmission In Countryside IL. 780 352 2200
Pete
Bencruizen76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencruizen76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 7:30pm
I have a 76 ski tique with the exact same problem, what did you end up doing to fix yours?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic