Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine pulses mid throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
579021 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 579021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine pulses mid throttle
    Posted: June-09-2015 at 11:38am
1984 Ski Nautique w/ 351 all stock. Having a problem , Engine pulses mid throttle. Starts and runs great but between 21 MPH and 30 MPH the engine will pulse almost surge intermittently almost running smother for a split second. Ran normal when I put it away for the winter all I did in the spring was change the raw water pump impeller and plugs. New points and condenser and coil mid season last year.   
MK
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2015 at 2:29pm
If you hold it at 25 MPH (steady state), does it surge?

Of does it start surging during an acceleration (as it approaches 25 MPH)?

Its important, vacuum levels are different at steady state and acceleration.
579021 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 579021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 10:35am
The surge is not noted during acceleration only noted at a cruse type setting ..
MK
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 12:09pm
Was it running well before the points condensor and coil? Where those tuneup items, or trying to address a problem?
579021 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 579021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 3:42pm
Points ,condenser, coil, were for a no start problem plus they were due ended up being a wire in the distributor going to ground . Not related to this surge. I have put many hours since that. I did just do the plugs its been 6 years ant thought it was time. That was the only thing that i just did . I might try swapping the old ones back in and see if it goes away.
MK
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2015 at 4:52pm
Might check the condition of the advance springs and weights (make sure they are free on their pivot pins) while you are in the distributor. Also, a surge / or drop in fuel pressure can cause the symptoms you've described.

Good Luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic