NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zero Turn Mowers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zero Turn Mowers
    Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:59pm
My new place has 2-3 times more grass than the old so I'm researching ZTR mowers. So far, I like the Toro SS4200.

Anybody got any passionate feelings about ZTRs or more specifically brands and recommendations? My total lot is 1 acre. My mowable grass area is probably 2/3-3/4 of an acre.

My desire is to mulch exclusively.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:22pm
My father in law has a toro and it works great. Probably 5-6 years old mowing 1.5 acres of rough texas landscape. He does however use a push mower around the pool since it throws alot out.

My house in town isn't big enough for one and we have a trusty old jon deere traditional riding mower at the lake. But, when it finally kicks the bucket I won't buy anything but a ZTR. Since my father in law has had good luck with his toro I'll probably follow suit.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:22pm
I'm a John Deere man. so anything green is the best! All the farmers around me have Grasshoppers, so i would only assume they must be pretty good (man are they expensive), but i've never used one myself.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:30pm
Geat a couple of goats    Get a couple push mowers and tell the kids to do it
Overall the Toro Timecutters are OK.. The Kawasaki engines are the better engines. The Kohler Command engines are ok too- but tend to give trouble- .
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:32pm
I have always run John Deere, Dad worked there, so kind of bleed green and gold. Ran my first mower for almost 25 years. My current tractor just threw its electric clutch after 12 years, first major failure I have ever had with deere. Zero Turn are nice if you have BIG open space, which it sounds like you do, however they have limited utility. My GT235 is probably a little slower to mow (because of the smaller turn radius) but I have a rear tiller and snowblower. You can't use those on a zero turn, not that you will probably need a snowblower. Also the tractor works well for pulling small trailers, etc.

Best thing is to go to the dealer and compare side by side. Mow a little bit on the tractor and then mow the same little bit with the Zero Turn.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 2:51pm
I've got a Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle w/ 50'' deck 26 hp Generac engine LOV IT ! 8 mph - 6 ac. in 4 hrs or so
Bad boy mowers are also very tuff.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Best thing is to go to the dealer and compare side by side. Mow a little bit on the tractor and then mow the same little bit with the Zero Turn.

yeah, our local implement dealer will deliver ones to try for free!

We have a JD Hydro 185 tractor (1986 used for $400, 36" deck, still running strong) and we do exactly what skutsch said, we use it to move trailers around, small utility wagons, aerators, spreaders, snow plow blade, etc...we have a little over an acre with lots of trees. sure the turn radius isn't as good, but the weed wacker takes care of those areas.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 4:28pm
My old man just went through this decision and went with a Gravely ZTR. Seemed reasonably priced vs. the competition and very capable FWIW. My lawn is too small for one at .5 acres but my parents have 2 acres to mow.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

My old man just went through this decision and went with a Gravely ZTR. Seemed reasonably priced vs. the competition and very capable FWIW. My lawn is too small for one at .5 acres but my parents have 2 acres to mow.

Joel, what do you mow your 1/2 acre with?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 4:47pm
His M3
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Joel, what do you mow your 1/2 acre with?

Not the M5, but I do have a BMW Roundel on the front of my Deere GX85 mower. This is a mower from back when you had to go to a real equipment dealer to get a Deere, not a big box store. 1900.00 in 1998, real money for a real machine.

In reality it's a pretty sad/wimpy looking little thing but it's perfect for my lawn.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 10:07am
I have 2 xmark lazer z's 52 " with ultra vac bagging systems . they cut 30 lawns a week and i replace each one every 6 to 8 yrs they might seem over kill for your home but you should get 15 yrs of trouble free service from one.. also consider a used one with 500 hrs from a local lawn company they are usually well maintained and parts should be available for yrs for it. a fair used price would run between 4 and 5 thousand
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 12:29pm
My family has two of the CUB ZT series Bad Boy mowers. The frame and manufactured parts are extremely well built., It has the 26 hp Briggs pressurized oil twin engine that runs great. They both have around 300 hours with no issues other than normal services.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2015 at 9:55am
We have a couple of eX-Marks at our church. We cut ~4 acres every week. Can't say enough good about them. Not sure of the model.   
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 10:07pm
Ended up buying the Toro Ss4225. Added the mulch kit and hour meter. Thabks for the input
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 8:59am
Late to the thread but my brother has a Walker and loves it

http://www.walkermowers.com/
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 9:00am
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 11:36am
Forgot to include pic of my Gravely ZT50 . My Dad bought it for me from an individual for $2k. It only had 10 hrs on it. The person bought something bigger because he got more work. I guess my Dad was pushing me into starting my own Lawn Service up- but that hasn't taken off yet. About 12 years ago I had 15 yards-.

Here's where I get my 'smarts' from    Here's my 82 year old Dad- OOPS! pushing leaves back in the winter...

Here's a push mower I fixed up for a friend back in the 90's.

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic