Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Its ALIVE! 351W is running

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its ALIVE! 351W is running
    Posted: July-02-2015 at 8:52pm
My first engine build and she's running. I'm thrilled and frankly a bit surprised.
I did my 20 minute run to break in the cam and lifters. I'm changing the oil and filter here in a few minutes.
A couple of quick questions:
1)
I rebuilt the Holley 4160 and it has a pretty bad leak that seems to be after shut-down.
It leaked before the rebuild but I never figured out from where. Now I can see that its from the secondary valve shaft thru the base.
How in the heck can I fix that?
Also, I saw a thread a while back about another brand of carb selling now that was said to be high quality at a better price. I'd like to look into those as well if anyone knows the brand and where to buy.

2)
In the meantime, where do you measure the vacuum? The port in the intake manifold is plugged and I don't see a port on the carb.

3)
its set on about 10 degrees BTDC right now what should it be in the end?

4)
I have a can with a pump to suck the oil out thru the dipstick tube for this go around and I know the time to set up an alternative was while the engine was out but I'd like to fix up a way to drain the oil thru a tube thru the hull if possible. Has anyone done that? any pics?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 9:12pm
I'll give this a try:

1) I believe the carb you're referring to is the Quick Fuel M-600

2) Vacuum port is usually the one on the back of the manifold that goes to the PCV valve.

3) I believe 10-12 should be your initial timing and all in should be no more than 34 degrees.

4) My boat is currently covered in the drive and it's raining, but this is the oil drain kit I'm running that I think you are referring to Oil Drain Kit

Your YouTube video is set to private, so we cannot view it. If you wish to embed it do this:

Copy the link to the video.
Click the "Insert Image icon up in the ribbon (tree without the arrow)
Replace the beginning and end "IMG" with "tube"
Make sure the link is "http" not "https"
if it says "https", simply remove the "s"

Hope this helps.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 9:21pm
-- JPASS beat me to the <enter> key!

1. Quick Fuel Technologies is like a next generation Holley carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-m-600/overview/

2. Vacuum for carb adjustment should be full manifold vacuum. As such, you can pull from the bottom of the carb or from the carb/manifold spacer. My engine has a hose "barb" fitting on both. The Quick Fuel carb in the link above has the hose barb.

3. 10 degrees BTDC is a good place to start. Your total spark advance is a function of RPM and the advance mechanism of your distributor. Not enough advance and performance will slip. Too much advance is also bad as it can lead to over-heating and detonation or pinging. More advance may also require a higher octane fuel.

4. Sucking the oil out the dipstick tube is not a bad way to go. Just make sure that the oil is warm (not too hot) or it will take too long to remove. A great device for this is the Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator. If you want the drain hose option, try this link:

http://www.skidim.com/OIL-DRAIN-KIT-302_351_GM-1_2-Thread/productinfo/RK024056A/

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 10:22pm
Thanks guys.
The video was unpublished (rejected) I fixed it and used the "tube" change thanks!

wow, wasn't expecting that price on the Quick-Fuel carb. I'll look around first

I drilled and tapped the wedge spacer for the PCV. I'll play around there and see what I get.

I'll play with the advance in the morning.
I'll be running 90 octane because that's the only ethanol free available close-by.

I've been using a Topsider brand for the oil changes. It works ok but I'd rather be able to drain it with a hose thru the hull.
How do the skidim kits cut the flow? I don't see a valve.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by 73SN 73SN wrote:

How do the skidim kits cut the flow? I don't see a valve.

There's a screw on plug on the end. You unscrew the cap to drain the oil I can post a pic of mine tomorrow.

73SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 12:05am
So oil sits in the tube?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 12:23am
Yes it does,but just so you know the Skidim ones are no different than the ones supplied now by PCM on their engines. I still use my vacuum extractor on it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 12:24am
Originally posted by 73SN 73SN wrote:

So oil sits in the tube?

Just a little. The PO installed the one on our boat. The hose is routed up from the pan, then behind the alternator and to the starboard side of the engine over the circulation pump, under the thermostat housing, then to the starboard ring on the cylinder head.

These are the best pics I could find on my phone presently. I'll take better ones tomorrow.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 8:11am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

The PO installed the one on our boat.

Is it the same previous owner who would have taken the factory drain out? They've been standard equipment since the late 70's.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2015 at 8:34am
I didn't know they were standard. Good to know.

Always learning new things on this site...........

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic