Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1976 ski Tique steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chris76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 ski Tique steering
    Posted: November-05-2015 at 9:31am
What would cause the boat to move to the right ever so slightly on its own when cruising at say 30. - 35 - it's a little unnerving very little play in the steering fin
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2015 at 2:36pm
Have you inspected all the components from the rudder (steering-fin) forward ?

KellyfromVA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyfromVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2015 at 10:20pm
My 1980 Tique pulls a little to the right when cruising along at 30-35. I've just chalked it up to the rotation of the water across the rudder at speed. My steering gear is a little loose too, but it isn't that big of a deal.
1980 Ski Tique
Chris76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 9:15am
Thanks for the info - mine turns on its own with the wheel strait at those speeds running out of time to work on it- I live in the north east- I'll dig in to the steering in the spring- just bought it- it's a blast to drive - very fast for a small boat
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Chris76 Chris76 wrote:

Thanks for the info - mine turns on its own with the wheel strait at those speeds running out of time to work on it- I live in the north east- I'll dig in to the steering in the spring- just bought it- it's a blast to drive - very fast for a small boat

So explain the "turns on it's own with the wheel straight"???
It turns to the right while holding the wheel straight or it tracks to the right while holding the wheel straight?
It turns to the right if you let go of the wheel?
It turns to the right if you hit a certain speed range?

These boats will have a tendancy to pull to one side or the other while under power. They're designed like this to provide straighter tracking with minimal steering wheel movements with a really hard pulling skier (especially through the coarse). If you have a neutral tracking the boat will drift from side to side while pulling a skier and you'll have to counter the tracking with constant steering wheel movements. This is not a very pleasurable experience. Especially pulling people through the course.
This pulling to one side will also force you to keep your hands on the wheel. If you let go it will turn on it's own (sometimes quite sharply). This tracking characteristic can be adjusted by filing down the trailing edge of the rudder (unless you have a newer tunable rudder) but probably better left alone unless you're feeling adventurous.

It's also not uncommon to have a boat pull one way or the other or even steer neutral at slow speeds and then change completely at higher speeds. Again, the nature of the beast and can be adjusted somewhat by tuning the rudder or may even need some reshaping of the hull to correct. The latter is definitely best left to someone willing to destroy the hull and/or gelcoat so lets not even go there for the sake of argument. Sometimes even a prop change can completely change the steering and handling characteristics. The new CNC props that are available now weren't even thought of in "76.

Now if it's tracking a little to the right while the wheel is aimed straight, that's easily adjusted with the steering cable clamp at the rudder.

So there is a quick rundown of the steering/tracking of these boats if you're not familiar with them. Just wait until you have to try docking when they only want to backup one way. We'll save that for another discussion.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 10:53am
Pulling in one direction or the other may indicate rudder shape or tune as Eddie said. Un welcome direction changes are not normal- that sounds disconcerting and potentially dangerous. Could be issues with the steering system or running gear...

If you want a 2nd opinion as to whether the behavior is normal, there are many northeast members who you may want to reach out to.
Chris76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 11:35am
Thanks guys for the info - it's definitely not welcome changes- it's to the right - there is play in the wheel left to right a little bit without moving the ruder
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 11:43am
A little bit of play between the helm and cable is normal. Excessive play is not. It shouldn't cause unwanted steering behavior in any case.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 7:10am
Chris,
Where are those pictures we asked for?
Besides the steering, how's the overall condition of the Tique? You haven't mentioned if the boat is new to you so we don't know if other items have been checked or not. Things like engine condition, stringer condition and trans/shaft/log/strut alignment are always on the list. Fill us in. Also, a diary entry would be great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 8:45am
Chris,
You've probably winterized the Tique but have you had a chance to check the steering? Checking it out of the water would be my choice since you can have someone move the rudder port to starboard while you look for excessive play. It also would be a good time to check other items as mentioned. Don't wait till spring - that's when you want to use it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chris76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 9:07am
Yes its winterized - had them install a fuel shut off switch as well - the ruder turns more to the right then the left when looking at it from the rear of the boat - very little play in it - haven't had a chance to remove the rear seat yet - will I be able to see the cable without removing the gas tank - can't seem to download pictures here - I did do a diary with a couple pictures thanks for responding
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 9:56am
Chris,
You'll need to do some experimenting in the water with tracking. At the aft end of the steering cable is a clamp tube and clamp block. The tube is moved forward and aft for centering the rudder as well as adjusting how far the boat turns port or starboard. However, due to prop torque in one direction it can't be done by simply measuring the movement of the rudder and the reason I mentioned experimenting.

Since you mentioned there's very little play, straight line tracking as mentioned above is done by tuning the rudder by grinding one side of the trailing edge of the rudder. This also is done by experimenting. It will remove the straight line neutral back and forth tracking you are experiencing.

You mention a fuel shut off. Hopefully its a valve and not an electric solenoid. Electrics are just something to give you problems.

Posting pictures can be a problem from a mobile device. If you are using one, email them to you home computer, use the "post reply" rather than the "quick reply", click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow and a box will come up allowing you to select the picture off the computer. I know there's a trick off a mobile device but Sorry, I can't help you there!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 11:43am
There is no way to post pictures directly to the site using a mobile device. External picture hosting sites are your only option (photobucket, etc).

Unequal steering travel is a function of steering clamp tube and clamp block position. It is adjustable (the tube within the clamp) to an extent. I have seen some 16' boats that were set up from the factory with an inability to adjust the steering equally... Poor clamp block install location. Relocating the clamp block would solve this, but would require open access to the exhaust pocket... So some disassembly required.

Based on the description of the problem, he is describing disturbing uninduced steering inputs, not a constant/steady steering load. The former is BAD, the latter is tunable (and may or may not be desirable). Personally, I prefer neutral steering except in a dedicated course boat. The little bit of play on center in a properly functioning neutral steering set up should NOT cause any disconcerting behavior.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic