Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atom Skier Emblem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Atom Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atom Skier Emblem
    Posted: November-11-2015 at 2:29pm
I've casually looked for the Atom Skier emblem shown over the last few years with no luck. So I'm basically to the point of having one made. Any connections out there as to who would be willing to make one?
Jason
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 3:22pm
With the advent of 3D printing and how inexpensive they are getting has anyone looked into getting these made with one of those?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 3:35pm
No matter what process is used, the biggest issue will be to come up with the original script outline.

Jason,
I suggest you look for a job shop who has a water jet but, the original zinc die castings have relief (a taper) on the edges so you would need to find one that has a muti-axis machine. You being in the heart of the midwest manufacturing area, there has to be plenty of them around.

3D printing as Tim mentioned is also an option but you would need to investigate the chrome plating. The material used would need ether to be made with a conductive material or be sprayed with a conductive coating before the plating.

Water jetting SS and then a buff would be my choice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 4:05pm
I want and need the same emblem. Willing to contribute. Please keep me informed as to progress making it.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
63 Atom Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 4:51pm
Thanks for the input! I was thinking along the same lines as a local job shop with a water-jet/laser could do it as well...just wanted to check here first to make sure there isn't anyone out there that already has done it in the past that has the script, taper, etc ready to go.
Jason
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2015 at 5:07pm
Jason,
I suggested water jetting over laser due to the edge finish. Water jetting even though it won't be perfectly smooth and polished, will be smoother than the laser. Then you could also look into electropolishing. It will get you almost to the point of a full buff. The shop you go to may already deal with someone that has the electropolishing equipment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 10:44am
I just got a 55 Atom Skier and would be interested in one although I'm not sure they were on boats that early.

Also, I need my dash panel (same one that's in your picture) restored to it's original finish (black background in all faded}. Any suggestions ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 11:08am
Clark,
No, the dash emblems weren't used on the early 14'6" Atom's so you don't need to worry about it.

Your dash panel is a Stewart Warner. The back panel itself was never black but the gauge faces were. It that what's faded? Get in touch with Dale He may not have the silk screens needed to restore the gauge faces but, if not can make them. Be prepared for a long delivery time but, he's the best. You won't be disappointed.

Are we ever going to see some pictures??   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 1:29pm
If you can find someone to loan you an emblem, it should be really easy to make a mold and diecast, then chrome.

mold material

metal alloy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

make a mold and diecast, then chrome.

Bill,
Interesting concept! Do you have any experience with plating this cast material? I couldn't find any information on their site about plating. With the bismuth, can it be plated? I ask since I know many platers even shy away or don't have the process for even zinc die castings which is a close "cousin" but without the bismuth.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 3:08pm

I have the "Skier" piece.   But, it's not actually from an Atom.   It's from a Tournament Skier.    So now it says:   Tourn        ament        Skier

I'll see if I can find it and put up a pic.
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 10:54am
Here's a picture of my little mongrel. It's in hiding till spring
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 11:50am
Clark,
Thanks for the picture. Yup, the Atom looks familiar. It looks like someone modified the deck aft of the forward cockpit. Do you know the story behind it? Have you any plans for it yet? Did you have a chance to confirm that it is your gauges with the black background and not the actual face of the S/W panel? Keep the pictures coming!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 1:39pm
The metal I was suggesting is mostly tin. I use Mike Chestnut for plating corroded pot metal with fantastic results. He would be the guy to ask.

http://horsepowerunlimited.net/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic