NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wiring question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wiring question
    Posted: June-05-2006 at 3:23pm
On the 62 classic , I am near ready to run it...however...a couple wires have me scratching my head a little.

Wirng back at the coil...(312 egine)
First of all...there is no bal/res and my wiring diagram from the shop manual shows none if an alternator is used(which mine does) ...if a generator is used it shows a bal/res before the coil. If there is no bal/res... can I still use the standard coil that I would use on my other70's boats ???
(302,351)

Also...wires??? All at the rear near the coi1(On the 312 coil is at the back of engine as is the distr.)

1.Purple from ign to the coil...got that.
2.Orange??? It only reaches to the batt connection at the starter...does that sound right?
3.white...should be grd...it was grounded to the block before.
4.Yellow...??? I think it was grounded but not sure??? It looks like it was grounded near the coil , unless it was on the coil??? I traced it back derectly to the keyed ign. switch.

There is no nuetral safety switch or starter button.

So...those four wires???! and should there be a bal/res.???

Thanks
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 3:40pm
You have a very old boat, so I could be WAY wrong, but typically:

Purple=ignition feed (to coil/instruments/etc)
White=neutral safety switch
Orange=accessory power
yellow=alternator to voltage regulator field terminal (?)

If your distributor has points, use a ballast resistor. Hope this helps, but I bet it doesn't and I bet not all wiring strictly adheres to the "code". Any '62 owners out there that can help further?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 9:59pm
Thanks David F ! It's all good now! Yellow needed to go to the pos side at the coil.

And then could not get it to fire until my nieghbor shows up...distr. was 180 deg backwards...fixed that and it fired right up and roared! Got to hear that 312 for the first time! It will see the water this week!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic