Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel tank seeping fuel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Atom Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel tank seeping fuel
    Posted: December-21-2015 at 7:17pm
So I noticed my fuel tank in the '63 Atom Skier is seeping fuel from the circular plate that sits on the top left hand side of the fuel tank (this would be where the sender unit would go if I had one). Note I do have a full tank of fuel for winter storage. The sealant around the circular plate is pretty rotted, so I've removed all of the rotted sealant and cleaned up all of the seeped fuel with some mineral spirits. I have already loosened up all 5 screws that hold on the plate. I plan to pop off the plate, put some new sealant between the plate and tank, re-fasten with the 5 screws. Any suggestions with this process, and in particular, what sealant to use?
Thanks!
Jason

Jason
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 8:14pm
You might want to consider making a gasket out of sheet rubber.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 8:16pm
Not sure what was used originally but I would lean more towards cutting a new gasket than trying to use a sealant.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 8:25pm
-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 8:29pm
Plus another suggestion to make a new gasket Cork has been used for years, is cut easily and you could probably find some at you local auto supply.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Atom Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Atom Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 10:17pm
Didn't even think of a gasket...you guys are right, there should be a gasket there. I know the tank was out of the boat when it was restored twenty years ago, so the sealant might have been someone's poor attempt at some preventative measures at that time. Regardless, I'll stop at the local auto parts store and see what they have for gasket material.

Thanks guys - as always, you guys are a big help!!!
Jason
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 2:17am
I used a cork rubber composite gasket sheet for this exact purpose to seal the fuel tank sender.

It was sold as being suitable for fuel.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2015 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

I used a cork rubber composite gasket sheet for this exact purpose to seal the fuel tank sender.

It was sold as being suitable for fuel.

Buna N/cork under "compressible cork gasket material"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic