Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 38 TH Annual New Years Day Barefoot Tournament LKN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

38 TH Annual New Years Day Barefoot Tournament LKN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 38 TH Annual New Years Day Barefoot Tournament LKN
    Posted: December-30-2015 at 2:18pm
I know that Greg Fossett will be there. I am planning on being there just to watch.

New Year’s Day Barefoot Tournament
Lake Norman Marina
6965 NC Highway 150 East - Sherrills Ford, NC
January 1st, 2016
11:30 am - 4:00 pm

The New Year’s Day Barefoot Tournament on Lake Norman is one of the longest running and most unique barefoot tournaments in the world. Held annually in Mundy Cove in front of Lake Norman Marina and hosted by the Carolina Show Ski Team, it combines barefoot waterskiing starts, tricks, and endurance into one scored and competitive adventure. This will be the 38th year barefooters are making a splash on New Year’s Day.

In the past, the annual event has drawn participants from Wisconsin, Indiana, New Jersey, Tennessee, Virginia, and, of course, the Carolinas. While water and air temperatures may vary, a heated waterfront building is available for the barefooters to change before running to the dock to take their run.

Competitors are divided between boom, male, female, and open divisions; there’s a place for you in this tournament regardless of barefooting skill level. This is a USA Water Ski sanctioned event, and there are only 40 participant slots available.

USAWS Member competitors: $35
Non-USAWS member competitors: $45
All spectators: FREE! Bring your camera!

Limited concessions will be available. Invite your barefooting friends to compete and see who will reign supreme! This is the 38th anniversary of our tournament; join the conversation on Facebook.

FYI,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I am planning on being there just to watch.

Say what?? What's wrong, no room on the shelf for a 38th trophy??
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2015 at 2:45pm
I will be there piloting the official Lake Norman Marina supplied Cobalt for this event. To my knowledge this will be theb2nd time a Colbalt has pulled this event, the other time was when "The Bull" Ron Scarpa set the event record in the 80's which stood until~ roughly 5 years ago when all the stars aligned and local skier Jeff Blair set the new record of ~ 800 points.
This year will see our own Scott Monahan competing with Larry Hineline as a potential wildcard entry. It would be great for a large showing of CCFANS competing in future years. JBears nephew Brett Barry is also a regular at this event who has been a podium finisher more than once.
Having competed in roughly 8 of the last 10 tournaments (beginning with the boom division) I can say that this is a great event with fantastic people of all abilities.
Results to follow
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I am planning on being there just to watch.

Say what?? What's wrong, no room on the shelf for a 38th trophy??

Chris,

As a rule of thumb, I never get in the water between November and early March. Too much shrinkage.   I am always thinking about the ladies and you.

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

I will be there piloting the official Lake Norman Marina supplied Cobalt for this event.

Wait a minute, you're driving, not skiing? I know you drove last year, but you hadn't said anything about that this year. So I am left to Scott to have a friendly wager with....tho those Ohio guys are tough....what with his Buckethead credentials and all. Plus I got 10 years on him.

Wait, I'm sure they can find a substitute driver so you can get in a run too, no? I'm going to be disappointed if you don't get out there for a pull, too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2015 at 9:25pm
Yes I will ski the event.
The typical format (and this year will be no different) is as follows......

The CSST typically does an opening pyramid to the National Anthem which is immediately followed by the boom division.

After the boom division the men's division foots (order usually drawn by picking numbers out of a hat) then the driver skis last in this division as he is not yet acquired the skill to compete in the open division

After the men's division the open skiers ski

Then it is time for to start the the men's second run for those who want to ski a second time and then to the open for a second run.

You do not need to ski two times but if you do, your better of the two scores is used to place you within the skiers
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 12:17am
Others will need to fix the link. From the smart phone they do not work very well.
nyd pics LINK
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 9:07pm
What a great time this event is. CCF was represented by Greg, Scott Monahan, and myself and sort of related member Brett Berry, Bill's son/John's nephew. We were cheered on by Donald Tilley and daughter Natalie. The recent crazy warm NC weather we have been having was behind us, but it wasn't bad, air low to mid 50s water, reportedly upper 50s. no wind, which was nice.

Here is a great set of professional photos

Here is my run

Scottie's Run

That almost two complete lap run was actually the 3rd best of our division. One of the two ahead of me was a 73 year old guy that did something like seven laps. Impressive. I think (I left before final awards) I finished 4th overall (out of 15). Scott Monahan, I think, ended up 3rd. He did almost a lap but threw in a couple one foots that pushed his score up. Greg drove the entire tournament, but got his run in at the end.

Definitely on my to do list again for next year. I know how to prep now
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 11:03pm
Awesome Larry you old barefooters always inspire me to give it another a try
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:19am
Scott off for his run

[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 8:50am
Some additional pictures from the event

Additioal Pictures
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:30am
Great photos and videos. How do you guys rate Colbalt as a barefoot boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:59am
All boats are different and have a uniqueness about them. While not an inboard or a boat designed for barefooting I would say that this boat did a very good job at the tournament. If there was an angst it was it took a bit longer to come up to speed which was only an issue with such a tight course. It knocked down the oilers unbelievably well. Marc Donhue (the open winner) was pretty quick to make a wake / knock down comparison to the BFN.
As the driver I would request a heater in next years towboat.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 5:49pm
Gotta get rid of that baseball grip
northcoastidol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastidol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 6:44pm
I know Hw, It's a bad habit of mine, going to be hard to break! What a awesome event. I would like to thank everyone involved with this tournament including Greg for spending the whole day driving for all of us! I'm not sure how I placed 3rd place in the men's division but I'll take it for my first try. The Cobalt was a little slow out of the hole but hard to tell you anything else since all you get for a ride is a tight circle. I met many people through out the day that made it all worth it! Thanks to professional photographer for all the great pics, and Larry for his videos, Tks Greg for letting me hang with him and Sue over at there Badin Lake home NYE.
Always be ready for a run, the water does not wait for you!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Awesome Larry you old barefooters always inspire me to give it another a try

Yeah, "those old guys" are inspiring. I was telling one guy I was 61. Usually that's impressive, but that guy was 76. A 73 year old blew us all out of the water with about a 7 lap run. Gives us youngsters something to aspire to

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastidol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 6:52pm
Oh and by the way Greg got 1st place, me 2nd and Larry 3rd in our driving to the event award. thank to the local po po!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 6:55pm
Speaking of what Scott said about meeting folks.,,, Another highlight of the tourney for me. Back in the 80s when a few ski buds and I wanted to step up our game, we knew no one to teach us. So I bought John Gillette's book, pretty much the only source of training info back in the day. It was like our bible. Had the pleasure of meeting John . Very cool after 30 years of crediting him with my enthusiasm for the sport

Meeting and talking to 2006 world champion Rachel Normand wasn't bad either. She's cuter than John.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastidol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 6:56pm
At least that youngster Logan will have to move up to the open class next year
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 9:55pm
It will be fun watching him in the open division. Wish I was spending summers at the WBC at 16.
Originally posted by northcoastidol northcoastidol wrote:

At least that youngster Logan will have to move up to the open class next year
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 4:50am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Gotta get rid of that baseball grip

HW--does the baseball grip help to prevent the infamous "taco"?
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 10:44am
The baseball grip leads to the rollover and the ultra awesome inverted taco
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 11:37am
baseball -> rollover

inverted taco sounds like a wild ride
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 11:26pm

Here are my pictures of Scott and Larry launching from the dock. CCFAN was representing well considering it was Scott and Larry's first appearance at this event. They were top of the leader board most of the event.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 11:32pm

Here Greg is trying to talk Larry into being a Charter Member of www.CobaltFan.com.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic