Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Erratic engine heating

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
meplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Erratic engine heating
    Posted: January-26-2016 at 11:07pm
Lately engine is having large swing in temp from 120 to 240. Had to sit at idle for 10 minutes to allow to cool. Ran at reasonable temp for 20 minutes then had quick swing to 240 again. Engine is Chrysler 273. Is this a sign of a bad temp stat.? Thanks
Mike
Mike P.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 11:15pm
Unlikely to be the stat. But the Mopar stuff has some really goofy plumbing. Double pocket pumps, two inlets etc. I would start with the impeller(s) and inspect for loose hoses, clamps etc. I am no expert on these but one or more will be along soon. I just didn't want you to strip the thermostat when they almost never are the culprit.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2016 at 6:10am
Mike,
I almost missed your post. I should take a look in the "new" forum section more often but did using the "new posts" ran across it..

Did you ever change both impellers back in 2014 when you had a similar problem? If so, what was their condition? I'm also wondering if you still have any acorns or impeller pieces still in the system on the suction side of the cooling system? You by chance, haven't been running the engine even briefly out of the water without water hooked up. The impellers being water lubricated will self destruct without water. It doesn't take much.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dave12gauge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave12gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 3:20am
Not sure if your cooling system is like mine, but if you have a small bypass hose going from your intake manifold to your circulation pump there might be an obstruction. Took awhile to figure out but you need to take the hose off and poke wire or something to make sure its clear. Don't forget about both barb fittings. I did a visual and only when I pulled it off did I see it. Good luck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 8:49am
Originally posted by dave12gauge dave12gauge wrote:

Not sure if your cooling system is like mine, but if you have a small bypass hose going from your intake manifold to your circulation pump there might be an obstruction. Took awhile to figure out but you need to take the hose off and poke wire or something to make sure its clear. Don't forget about both barb fittings. I did a visual and only when I pulled it off did I see it. Good luck

David,
As mentioned, the Chrysler marines were plumbed differently than the typical marinized engine and quite different than your BB. We do however appreciate your input I'm not sure if Mike found his problem or not since he hasn't been back on the site in some time. I wish he would since I and I know others sure like to hear if we've helped or not. From time to time we do get new members joining, asking questions and then disappearing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
meplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 12:55am
Well since my mechanical ability usually comes to a quick halt after spark plugs, belts and hoses I hauled our Mustang into the shop in Melrose, FL. Hoses were inspected for acorns and such but none were found. Ended up with a new thermostat and is running within safe range again. The shop did find something that appeared odd. The temp gauge was wired into two different sensors from the engine. The shop owner also said that the Chrysler marine engines had a fairly complicated cooling system. . We have put 6 hours on the boat since getting back last week, so far so good.

Mike
Mike P.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2016 at 8:33am
Originally posted by meplante meplante wrote:

Well since my mechanical ability usually comes to a quick halt after spark plugs, belts and hoses I hauled our Mustang into the shop in Melrose, FL. Hoses were inspected for acorns and such but none were found. Ended up with a new thermostat and is running within safe range again. The shop did find something that appeared odd. The temp gauge was wired into two different sensors from the engine. The shop owner also said that the Chrysler marine engines had a fairly complicated cooling system. . We have put 6 hours on the boat since getting back last week, so far so good.

Mike

Mike,
It's great to hear that the T stat solved your problem. I'm surprised since the typical T stat fails in one position and doesn't cause the temperature swings you described.

I recommend finding another shop that knows Chryslers. before they hack up the engine. They obviously don't know about Chryslers and the dual station temperature senders.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
meplante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meplante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2016 at 12:05am
Thanks for the advice! Any suggestions in the Jacksonville, FL area? Also I probably need to buy the tech manual for the engine, do you know a source? Thanks Mike
Mike P.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2016 at 11:24pm
Mike,
Take a look here for the specific manual for your Chrysler.

There's one in the reference section but it doesn't cover your 273. I don't think there's much difference between it and a 318 but I'm not sure.

Others may have a good idea for someone in your area that knows Chryslers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic