NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lapping the valves

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lapping the valves
    Posted: January-31-2016 at 7:48pm
Talk me off the ledge.. please.. somebody!
So I had a slow leak in one manifold I found when the spark plugs seized in the head.
Head-off, plug out, ready to go. I had noticed irregular cranking effort when starting which on a SBC is certain compression issues in my experience. Sure enough the cylinders on that side were glazed.
That is where I was. / This is where I am at:
I don't have the time to rebuild this thing right now so I'm going full ghetto while I shop for a vortech long block, either ready or rebuildable. Possible stroker project, we will see. This thing just has to run until about June. By then I should have a long block ready to roll. The crew does not like down time!
In the meantime I took some emery to the cylinders and knocked the glaze off. I did a solvent test on the exhaust valves and they are not horrible but not perfect either. But I know, as do you that that water got in the cylinders past the valve seats and they just have to be corroded / pitted.
So the block is dressed, head is dressed, gasket kit ready and I could jam it back together tonight..... Or I could knock the valves out of the head and dress them up.
So tell me I'm an idiot or go ahead or don't do it or "it will be fine" whatever. I am low on stoke and need prodding.
I still have to cough up 600$ for a pair of manifolds. Salt water boating is expensive.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 8:18pm

Never mind..I answered it.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 8:23pm
Looks like it's time to freshen the heads. Notice I said that as plural. Only out one more head gasket and little more time. Should not run that many $$ for a quick valve/seat grind. Then if you don't have the new engine ready as planned you will be able to get some more hours out of this one. You are past lapping.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 8:36pm
Yeah I know, well past lapping.
The other head was fresh last year, +- 200 ish hours and that manifold didn't leak. So I think I'm OK there..I'm going to replace this one, too much rust in bad places, Oil seals are all crunchy etc. Its just all around ugly.
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 4:46pm
Good call, I wouldn't run those as they are. Just asking to lose a cyl or two mid season. Either do it right or just go straight to the new engine build and do something else with this one later, you have all winter. Oh wait, you don't get winter down in FL.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 12:05am
In addition to realizing you're able to boat every day, my wife, in Florida visiting friends has to remind me it is almost 80F. Yeah we will have that to deal with in about 16 long, cool weeks. I would rather suffer the mechanical maladies of salt water than deal with wind chill any day.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 9:18am
Damn, that sux John. Believe me when I say that I feel your pain.

I can't thank the heavens enough to have another boat (and JBear) available when you have one of these little setbacks. I don't have to rush and can do everything right while still being able to ski.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 10:05am
Thanks Eddie, I put the center console in the barn while I work on the Nautique so I am not completely cast away as it were. Its just not the same though. The problem is this little snafu is taking the time and money away from the stuff I really wanted to do and the real reason I pulled it from service in the first place... Se' la Vie. I still have to replace the bimni, re build the stereo and put the running gear back in.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 11:34am
I helped a buddy put a craigslist 400 dollar vortec 5.7 into his Malibu this summer, it was out of a Tahoe with about 90k on it.   Swapped over the accessories added a intake and a DUI and he put over a hundred hours on it so far. The thing is open bow with a tower and pushes 48-49 with lh 1.125" version of a acme 540 - where before it was pushing 43-44. It saved his summer big time - we were thinking a different cam over the winter when we first put it in but after running it all summer he doesn't want to mess with it.

EDIT - we did have to add an electric fuel pump and regulator as there was no provision in the block for the mechanical pump
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic