Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine bogging at higher rpms

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine bogging at higher rpms
    Posted: March-14-2016 at 6:36am
When running upwards of around 5 on tach motor Boggs down runs great up till then I have 1997 air with gt 40
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 8:35am
If you mean 5000 rpm, I believe that's near the upper limits of how high you should safely rev the motor.

Have you been able to get to those RPMs before with no issues? Speed at this RPM?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 9:49am
Check fuel filter(s) and the anti-siphon valve after addressing what JP said
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 11:20am
Yes I have been running good at that rpm until last year I have a 1997 air first time it has failed me
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 11:22am
We're are the filters and anti siphon valve located on 1997 air with gt 40 in it
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 12:28pm
I'm going to add one thought. You probably just got the boat out of storage. If any water got in the tank over the winter, it will be the first thing the engine drinks. Maybe the problem will go away with a fresh tank of fuel or just burning off the water-laden fuel that's sitting on the bottom of the tank with a few hours of running.
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 2:44pm
It started happening around mid summer
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Pipsen Pipsen wrote:

We're are the filters and anti siphon valve located on 1997 air with gt 40 in it

Pretty sure a 97' has a FCC, have you changed that filter recently?

Anti siphon would be in the fuel supply line just after the elbow at the top of the fuel tank.

Back to Peter's question, is the fuel in the boat fresh?? If not dump 5 gals of fresh in and see how things go.
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 3:09pm
Yes the gas is fresh the filter for the fcc are they inside the cell I haven't had to check it out before the engine manual Dosnt really address the fuel cell very good
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 3:24pm
Yes, inside the canister. Believe yours is the threaded type and I have heard where the threads can be seized to the point the FCC needs to be removed and put in a vice to get enough torque to open it up, hopefully that is not the case for you.
Believe CC recommends that filter be changed once a year or every 100hrs.

If you are unsure how to do it do some searching on this site for FCC filter change should be several posts about it or google the same and you will get even more hits.
303skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 3:40pm
Could be a bad injector! Happened on one of my boats.
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 5:40pm
Thank you for the info I'm sure that's what's going on I haven't had to mess with fcc ever guess I've had a good run since 1997 only have had to change oil and spark plugs and impellers
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 6:03pm
Sometimes when an engine lays down or bogs at wide open throttle it is caused by detonation which can be very bad for the engine. Try a tank of premium fuel or add octane boost to your tank and see if the problem goes away. If it goes away you most likely have too much timing or a lean burn at wide open throttle. This would need to be fixed quickly before running wide open and maybe breaking parts.   I own a GT40 but I do not know the electronics of this engine yet.   Detonation is a hot spot in your combustion chamber glowing red and acting like a spark plug igniting fuel at the wrong time. Higher octane can mask this sometimes and avoid detonation, it is not a fix just a work around.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 7:22pm
Mark good suggestion. I wonder since Paul is in Illinois if he is using ethanol, which does not like to sit 5 months either?

Mine revs to 11

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 7:31pm
We try not to get ethanol but sometimes there's no way around it
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 8:31pm
GT40 has knock sensor.
Fuel filter and the small piece of hose in the fuel cell would be the first things to change especially if you have never been inside the FCC before.

Then do a fuel pressure check if the problem persists.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Pipsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 9:36am
Thanks will do that nice looking air you have
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 1:58pm
GT40 with knock sensor, I should have thought of that. Good Point.
When I first bought mine it had been sitting for years.   It ran funky at first, sometimes perfect and sometimes it would cut out on acceleration.
I believe the limp home mode was kicking in trying to protect this engine from damage.
It had good clean oil and was full, the temperature did not seem to be fluctuating but something was going on.
I changed the gas filter, oil pressure sender, coolant temp sensor and installed a new water pump impeller.
It has purred ever since (2 years) and I really don't know which fix did the trick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic