Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Issues w 1981 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Issues w 1981 2001
    Posted: April-25-2016 at 1:28pm
I have a 351W in a 1981 Nautique 2001.

Only run non ethanol fuel and try to fill completely up when I store it for any length of time.
I removed the tank and slid the tank forward to replace a blower motor. Put everything back and ran on the hose just fine. Took it to the lake and ran 1\2 a tank through it with no issues at all.

When I am at wide open throttle it would begin to shudder and kill the engine like it was starving for fuel. Seems to be a lot worse when cornering or when I hit someone's wake (shakes the boat). I have replaced the water filter separator and checked the micro filter at the carb....Nothing in it.

Though that it may be a firing issue but it is not a constant issue motor will run great for several minutes and then begin acting like it is starving for fuel then shut down and take several revolutions of cranking to get it to fire back (like the carb bowls are empty or the engine is flooded). The plugs read like the engine is running lean (which would make sense I just don't know what is causing the issue. Fuel line is not kinked at the tank.

Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2016 at 1:37pm
Is the inside of these tanks baffled?
Is there a sock at the end of the pickup?

Could it be the fuel pump or clogged needles in the carb?
Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2016 at 2:34pm
Fist off: '81 2001? Thought they were made from '82 onwards. Really early one?

About the issue: I had what sounds exactly the same problem. Started acting up in turns, later more and more in straight line too. Checked everything, replaced some stuff, turned out to be the pickup. Pull it out of the tank and clean it out. I used carb cleaner, let it set in it for the night, shake it, etc. Mine got clogged with dust and hairs and even a dead bug.
Good luck!
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2016 at 4:27pm
You are right my friend it is an 1982 I was going off of memory (which is terrible BTW) and Bill of Sale does state 1982. Good catch. I am new to the nautique clan and I am happier then ever with the boat.

I am going to pull the pickup this weekend....Sounds just like what you are describing.

I also some in other threads about the anti siphon on the pickup acting up....Anybody got any special techniques on cleaning that guy out or what it looks like.....

I think that is looks just like a fitting right where the rubber fuel line runs in the pickup..Is that correct? A brass fitting....Does it have a check valve it in should I be able to blow one way through it and not the other? Can it be replaced?

Sorry for all of the questions but I store my boat a good distance from my home and when I go get it I would like to have everything I need to work on it in hand before for a fast fix and not have to travel back and forth to the storage facility.
THANKS IN ADVANCE, OLIVJ
Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
olivj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olivj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 12:27pm
Anyone with Anti siphon experience? can it be bought new? techniques for cleaning?
Jeremy Oliver
2001 Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 12:35pm
Jeremy,
Cleaning the anti siphon is pretty self explanatory but if you run into a problem, certainly ask. Remove it, look in it for debris, spray some carb cleaner in it and blow it out with some air.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic