Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Install piston and rings dry??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Install piston and rings dry??
    Posted: May-03-2016 at 4:25pm
In the midst of my engine teardown, a coworker mentioned that when you install new rings in a honed cylinder you should only put oil on the piston skirt below the rings. Do NOT coat the cylinder or rings with oil. He says when the engine starts up the rings will seat in minutes and you don't have to worry about a long break in period trying to seat the rings.

This seemed like the most ridiculous thing I could imagine but I did some google searching and found a few sites that actually recognized this method. This site at the bottom of the page has a little history about where it started but I'll take it with a heaping grain of salt.

Anyone with experience rebuilding ever try or even recommend assembling a new top end dry?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 4:31pm
Uhhh, I've always oiled everything up. No sense in risking scoring a wall or getting a ring stuck on a fresh start. The rings basically peal it all off when you push it down anyways. Maybe someone else has heard of it ?
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 4:35pm
My thoughts exactly. I'd take my chances on oiling everything and possibly a tedious break in period over the possibility of scorching a brand new engine build! It just seems way too risky to even try
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 4:49pm
Dry?? No thanks, not me. You go and watch any professional engine builder and see what they do. Never heard of dry assembly.. The last thing we do before putting the compressor sleeves on our pistons is oil the assembly. We build 3 to 5 engines everyday for the Funny Car at the track on race weekends. I"ll stick with oily Sounds like a good way to scrap out an engine to me.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 4:53pm
I've read the dry theory as well but have always used a light coating of 10w oil on the rings. Just don't use a heavy assembly lube.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 6:15pm
I worked for Sealed Power and Speed Pro, we made millions of Piston Rings.
They always teach to install them with oil not just on the cylinder face but lube the Ring Lands top and bottom and the cylinder wall to help the rings rotate without drag.
The recommendation was to use Sealed Power Assembly lube LL-5 because it offered more protection and blended well with engine oil once the engine started plus it had much better life than engine oil and would stay on your parts where oil can drip off over time. Many engines sit for long periods after the build before they are started.
Use this on the bearings, camshaft and lifters/lifter bores also.
FYI, it is very important to oil the Piston Pin before install. The clearance on the pin is so tight oil will not get there for a while after start up and engines have actually squealed to a stop on start up because the builder did not oil the pins.
On initial start the exhaust will smoke for about 60 seconds and then you burn clean.
Everyone will have an opinion on this but Sealed Power actually had design engineers and 26 dyno labs testing this stuff and had to warranty failures so they had a lot of skin in the game. I trust that opinion.
Hope your engine turns out well.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 6:56pm
Wow really appreciate the info! I'll definitely be going with the tried and true method
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

The recommendation was to use Sealed Power Assembly lube LL-5 .

Mark, I'm not finding this product, Do you have another reference number for it. What's popping up at Summit is a Cam and lifter lube and is described as "Sticky" Don't think this is the same product you are referring to, Can you verify please. I'll be putting my Hemi together soon and am sourcing parts and stuff. TY
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 7:50pm
Sorry, LL-5 part number to order is 55-400 comes in a 4 oz bottle.
There are other brands of quality assembly lube and also some that are lacking.
I can only comment on this one and have used it for over 25 years.
Mark
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 8:13pm
Every engine rebuild show I've ever watched always showed oiling up everything prior to installation.

They show it here at the 15min mark

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic