NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator belt snapped

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator belt snapped
    Posted: June-04-2016 at 11:33am
So I'm at the lake and snapped the belt for my alternator. I'm hoping I can still salvage the day by finding a replacement. Does anybody know if there is an equivalent auto part. Boat is new to me so I have no idea how old the belt was.

If I do find a replacement how easy is it to put back on.

Thanks,
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 11:57am
NAPA should be able to help you but if you have old belt to bring in, it will speed it up. I bet someone here can quote the right part number if we know your engine make and year. You need the correc length and belt width.

Replacement is easy. There is a upper bolt and nut on the alternator bracket that you loosen and then move the alternator all the way towards the middle of th engine--it's on a sliding slotted bracket. . If it won't move when you loosen it you'll have to loosen the lower bolt and nut on the alternator which is a pivot point only.

The installation is putting the new belt over the crankshaft pulley and the alternator pulley then you slightly tighten both bolts and get a long bar or screwdriver to pull the alternator away from the center of the engine while tightening the upper bolt. You want the belt tension to allow for 1/4" deflection. Then tighten the lower bolt. You're finished.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 11:59am
I see you have a GT-40 engine. Bring the old belt to NAPA.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 12:31pm
Thanks, I have a 1995 gt40.

I went to the closest auto parts store and they have a similar sized belt buts it's for outdoor power equipment.
96 Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 12:37pm
Put it on, it will get you thru the weekend and then buy the factory belt when you get time.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 1:12pm
Youll be back in action before lunchtime. Order a factory belt and a spare water pump belt at the same time and keep it on the boat with your basic combo wrenches and you'll be a step ahead. I keep two belts and an impeller on board, along with a raw water strainer o-ring. Those three things are nice if you're not near home. I also have a few spare relays for the GT-40 EFI.

I bet others will chime in with their spares.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 1:58pm
As previously mentioned, a similarly sized belt should get you through the weekend. There is quite a bit of play in the alternator slot adjustment to accommodate minor differences in length

Factory replacement P/N's should be PCM #R066001 Alt., #R066008 RWP

(BELT SET PCM FORD Standard 302/351, HO, GT40, Pro Boss, Item # 1144)

At least, that's what's on mine

$19.00 for the set out of Discount Inboard Marine
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Put it on, it will get you thru the weekend and then buy the factory belt when you get time.

Thanks for the help. This is what I did and was back on the water within an hour. Appreciate the help. Will order an original part from Nautique Parts today and replace the temp belt next weekend.
96 Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 5:42pm
Love those weekend saver results! Congrats!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

I went to the closest auto parts store and they have a similar sized belt buts it's for outdoor power equipment.

Paul,
Hopefully you didn't go to Autozone!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 6:22pm
Better to go to Autozone than to give up and let the kids sit inside on the couch
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Paul,
Hopefully you didn't go to Autozone!

It's was a Lakeland auto. No idea how it compares to Napa or AutoZone but it was the 5 minutes away option vs the 35 minutes away option and it got me back on the lake so I'll go back there next time I'm in a pickle.
96 Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 11:21pm
Going to Autozone is like going to home depot instead of a real lumber yard
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 6:44am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Going to Autozone is like going to home depot instead of a real lumber yard

Paul,
I have to agree you are totally correct! All my construction materials for my house addition/renovation are coming from a very REAL lumber yard. Yes, you do pay for what you get but the cost is worth it. I haven't seen a bad piece of lumber yet. I do get contractor pricing and delivery including sending their boom truck to set all the floor trusses, roof trusses and LVL's is only $5.00!! The HD doesn't do that.

One thing I have been doing with HD is using their on line web site for purchasing lots of things like bath fixtures. They have great pricing, name brands, items not found in their stores and free shipping ether directly to the house or the store on large items like shower enclosures. Laundry and kitchen appliances are next on the list.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic