Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this ticking noise?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this ticking noise?
    Posted: June-15-2016 at 10:38pm
Just finished my 351W rebuild, thread link, and now we're trying to figure out what this ticking noise is.

I reused my entire valvetrain (Cam,lifters,pushrods) with reworked GT40P heads.

Here's the Video

Is it a noisy lifter? Exhaust leak?

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2016 at 11:24pm
Sounds like an exhaust leak.

That or you left your turn signal on....
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2016 at 11:43pm
We used a stethoscope probe and we can't hear it at all when touching either valve cover or the intake manifold

Here's another video

Higher RPM video where it goes away, then comes back at idle:
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 1:17am
If you close the doghouse the ticking will go away...haha.

All humor aside, had a sweet 83 midnight virago years ago, one night we decided to go see the fireworks without helmets so we could see and hear the show better. Sounded a bit off and had a tick, so took it to the shop later that week. Explained the situation, the guru checked it out, laughed, and said "just put your helmet back on". Ran it for another 3 or 4 years, then gave it to my brother, who rode it for years, who then sold it to a friend...to my knowledge it's still a good runner to this day....

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 1:48am
It sounds like an exhaust manifold leak to me too.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 8:24am
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me as well.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 10:51am
Me three!.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 10:55am
That's what we were leaning towards too. Glad to hear I don't have to take the intake off!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:21am
Good luck with that. Since I put my 40's on I have a tick also,sounds much alike. I can't find it,many others don't even hear it. In real life it sounds more metallic. Maybe I'll try to double up the exhaust gasket for grins
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Good luck with that. Since I put my 40's on I have a tick also,sounds much alike. I can't find it,many others don't even hear it. In real life it sounds more metallic

Yeah we had a hell of a time trying to determine what side of the engine it was even coming from.

Glad to hear it's nothing serious.

Maybe at the end of the season I'll put the manifolds on our mill and plane the flange faces. But for now I can live with the tick
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:57am
Same here,using a screwdriver and placing it around the engine I can't find it or for that matter even hear it like a knock. I personally think it's something to do with the valve train but then again I haven't ever found it so maybe it's not
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:21pm
I haven't come across an exhaust leak that I couldn't confirm by feeling for hot pulses of air around the runners of the exh manifold. I'd be doing that ASAP. Some ticks shouldn't be ignored.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I haven't come across an exhaust leak that I couldn't confirm by feeling for hot pulses of air around the runners of the exh manifold. I'd be doing that ASAP. Some ticks shouldn't be ignored.

I gotta agree with Tim

I see in your other thread you're thinking maybe it's "normal".

Keep thinking that and don't worry,........... it will find you instead.

I seem to remember you having rocker arm issues, needing shims etc., so how did all that turn out.

Like Tim said, find it ASAP

KenO
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:34pm
I'll try and feel around the manifolds for the leak or spray some soapy water on them. It's hard to check the tops though because the valve covers are so close.

If it was something in the valvetrain, I would think I would be able to pinpoint it with the stethoscope, correct? When we listened on the covers and manifold you couldn't hear anything that sounded like the tick.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:47pm
I was never very good with a stethoscope or big screwdriver at finding noises etc.

You could probably skip the soap and just use water since it sounds like a pretty good leak If it's a leak it should blow that water away pretty good..

After the rocker arms issues though, you gotta wonder.

KenO
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by mbshaw88 mbshaw88 wrote:

When we listened on the covers and manifold you couldn't hear anything that sounded like the tick.

Same as mine even when listening to the block. I used different pushrods when setup and later tried shims when I went looking for the noise. Tim might not remember but I mentioned the tick when we were running it at GL one time. Maybe it might be the exhaust but it does not sound like it's coming from there,that's what's so confusing. Thought if it was the exhaust I'd see it by now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 10:19pm
UPDATE:
Started with a cold engine

- Began feeling around both manifolds for leaks, couldn't feel anything.
- We pulled off both belts to eliminate pulley/bearing noise. No Change
- Noise goes away after 1200 RPM

Then to possibly isolate it to a cylinder, we started pulling individual spark plug wires. When we pulled the #2 plug wire, the noise went away . Putting the wire back on the noise started up again.

So then it's definitely a valvetrain issue? Or if the noise goes away when there's no combustion pressure does that confirm an exhaust leak?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 10:43pm
I'd be pullin' the valve cover and looking for some slop on one of the pushrods for the #2 cylinder to start with..

It could also be much deeper in the engine like say a wrist pin or piston slap sinjce it goes away when the cylinder isn't doing any work, but let's hope not.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:23pm
UPDATE #2

I was about to start taking off the valve covers, so I started to loosen the exhaust manifold to get to the middle valve cover bolt. I then found that the Ex manifold bolts were just barely snug! So I tightened up all 16 manifold bolts and rechecked all the intake bolts.

Started it up and the TICK IS GONE!

NEW VIDEO

I'm guessing a combination of getting the engine up to temperature for the first time and the anti-seize was enough to loosen them slightly. I definitely should have rechecked the torque sooner after the break-in.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:34pm
Well I'm happy for ya'.

Like you said, you should have rechecked the torque............as soon as you suspected an exhaust leak that would be the first logical thing to do.

mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 12:03am
Yeah I can't believe I didn't just check the bolts to begin with. But it wasn't the first time I've overlooked the easy answer, and it probably won't be the last
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 1:16am
What's that saying about learning something new every day?

I learned that an exhaust leak noise goes away when you pull the plug wire on that cylinder.

I'd also say that" you done good kid"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 2:27am
Great you got it resolved.When I get mine out I'll try pulling a plug wire too. Hope mine is as easy.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic