Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1974 ski nautique 351 w pcm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 ski nautique 351 w pcm
    Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:59pm
I have had this boat for several years and have not been able to get set properly.new Mallory electronic distributer from ski dim put in.had Mallory 4160 carb rebuilt twice.new plugs,wires .have timing set to 5 degrees and still sluggish on hole shot or get a pop noise like to much fuel in carb .i turn in the air fuel screws to cut down on fuel and it only gets worst.I Tried using vacuum gauge in between pvc valve in valve cover and carb to set screws but no luck. Need advice
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:00pm
Timing
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:44pm
Sorry new to website and have 2 post on the go for same subject.didnt think first one went thru.have timing set to what mechanic told me and ski dim but reply on other post agrees its timing
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 12:05am
Had a brain fart just realized you were the one that replied to other post
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 12:57am
Map your timing curve. Start at idle and watch what it does and record the timing from idle to 4,000 RPM. Once you know what it does and when it does it you can fix it or rule it out as a possible cause. Timing is set on a mechanical advance and can be adjusted but you need to know what it does before changing it.
Map idle, 1,000 RPM, 1,500 RPM, 2000 RPM, 2,500, every 500 RPM all the way to 4,000.
It will stop advancing at some point between 3,000 and 4,000 n0rmally.
You can do this with a set back timing light or buy a harmonic balancer tape at a speed shop or from Summit and it will allow you to read the timing all the way up beyond 40 degrees advance.
Maybe your distributor has very stiff springs and it is not advancing as fast as you need or is coming in too fast. It should advance exactly the same each and every time you rev the engine and it should advance very smoothly with no stops and stutters.
Takes time but the test is free.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 1:14am
Testing is fine but 5deg initial is too low any way you cut it. 10-12 will almost assuredly fix the symptoms you describe. Keep it under 36 total.
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 8:29pm
Thanks for the advise.should have joined this forum years ago.going to start with timing at 10 degrees and map it as you suggested.
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 10:33pm
Ok.set timing to 10 degrees in drive way and with the idle screw backed out all the way I can only get it to idle down to between 700and 800 rpm
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 10:58am
Something is amiss, take a close up photo of the carb on each side as it is now, maybe we can identify something.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 8:51pm
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 3:36pm

Hopefully you can see pictures of the carb.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 5:01pm
I'm getting a major headache standing on my head trying to decipher the pics but you have an automotive carb on that thing. It stands to reason that you can't get it to run right.

Lack of "J" tubes might not be a complete giveaway as they might have been cut off. In Pete's lingo, a true hack job. OK, I'll give you that one.
Then having externally adjustable floats could also be a retrofit that was added after the fact. For the sake of argument, I'll let you have that one also.

To have both red flags on the same carb, not being able to make proper adjustments and still running terrible screams of the wrong carb. Put the proper marine carb on it and you'll be golden.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 5:06pm
Then again, this might very well be one of those really funky marine carbs that KenO talked about someplace else.
Get us a list number off the horn of it. That should tell us for sure.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I'm getting a major headache standing on my head trying to decipher the pics but you have an automotive carb on that thing. It stands to reason that you can't get it to run right.

Lack of "J" tubes might not be a complete giveaway as they might have been cut off. In Pete's lingo, a true hack job. OK, I'll give you that one.
Then having externally adjustable floats could also be a retrofit that was added after the fact. For the sake of argument, I'll let you have that one also.

To have both red flags on the same carb, not being able to make proper adjustments and still running terrible screams of the wrong carb. Put the proper marine carb on it and you'll be golden.

Eddie

It wasn't more than a week or so ago that this came up in one thread or another. Back when you used a big word like facetious

Back in 74 that is exactly what a Holley marine carb was like.

No J tubes,(the tubes were cut at a slant) externally adjustable floats, and the 45 degree fuel inlet that Zach wanted to see on the QuickFuel carbs Also had the grooved, slabbed shafts that you can see from the bottom if you know where to look..

If he gets the list number off the choke horn, it'll most likely tell him it's a marine carb

I'd say that's the original carb that came on the engine

KenO Edit just saw your last post and we're thinking alike here, and it ain't FUNKY
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 5:12pm
I stood up and the blood drained back from my head. Now it maybe looks like only the secondary bowl is adjustable and the primary has a plug in it.

It all just looks weird to me.

It's really clean though...LOL

Eddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 5:21pm
[QUOTE=backfoot100] I It's really clean though...LOL/QUOTE]

Are you talkin' about your head, the carburetor or both?

Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:09pm
Sorry guys bear with me.Not much of a computer guy as you can tell by the way my pictures were posted.get that number off air horn and post
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:18pm
The number is 3059 B . To bad clean doesn't make it run good.want to get it it in the water and see what the 10 degree timing is going to do.at the end of the day if I'm idling 150high and it runs good does it matter other than it bugging me because the idle screw is backed all the way out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:43pm

I think you may have looked in the wrong spot, the attached picture shows where to look.

The number you found was probably on the side.
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 9:22pm
Ok thanks.ill check again
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 9:37pm
Skeeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 9:59pm
deleted
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 11:30pm
Exact same list as my 74
Carb looks way too clean.   Did you paint the carb ???
And it looks to have been Frankenburetored at some point in it's life.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 12:19am
I noticed how clean that motor and carb look as well. Wish mine were half that clean!
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 10:25pm
It just came from cr carb rebuilders.They have some process which he did not care to share which returns it to original colour.i think that actually sand blast it when it is all apart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic