Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor problem, running rich at idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
thegadgetguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegadgetguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor problem, running rich at idle
    Posted: August-01-2016 at 12:06am
Howdy,

So my dad and I rebuilt the Holley 4160 carburetor on the 302 Ford in our '78 Ski Tique this weekend. The engine hadn't been running great overall prior to this, and would die if you floored it to yank a slalom skier, which led to some interesting starting techniques. We had previously rebuilt the carburetor about 8 years ago, and it ran fairly well for a few years after that, only really having problems this year and last year.

The insides of the carb looked worse than we were expecting given it had been rebuilt not super long ago; I presume this is due to the ethanol in the gasoline and the fact that the boat sits for long periods of time. The stalling during hard acceleration problem looks to have been caused by debris in the accelerator pump (which did not move freely before rebuild, and now does). The power valve that was in there did not look to be in good shape either.

So, here is what happened:
  1. The boat started more easily than it had before
  2. It was obviously running quite rich
  3. It was also running roughly, and required throttle above idle to keep running

Based on some research, we then swapped out the power valve marked 6 that we had put in initially with the other valve supplied with the kit marked 8. This definitely improved things.
  1. Engine started more easily
  2. We could get it to idle at 700-800 RPM pretty comfortably
  3. Still running very rich
  4. Tightening the idle adjustment screws all the way did NOT consistently kill the engine
  5. Gas was visibly entering the rear two barrels from the rear fuel bowl at idle
  6. Gas was also coming out of the front two "jets" at idle, though not all that much
  7. On the plus side, flooring it resulted in absolutely no hesitation, so the accelerator pump now appears to be functioning correctly

To recap, it runs better at high RPMs and flooring it no longer causes the engine to die, but it is idling too rich. Our main questions are as follows:
  1. Is a power valve marked 8 even close to being correct?
  2. What exactly does adjusting the float height (and thus height of gas in the bowls) do?
  3. Are there any other tests we can try to narrow possible problems?
  4. Any suggestions for what could be wrong or what to try next?

Thanks in advance for the help!
David
'78 Tique
Chris74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 9:24am
I just had my carb rebuilt and it was a 6.5 put in not a 8.NOt sure how much of a difference that would make but someone on forum will.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 10:19am
Have you closed the idle mixture screws one at a time ?
The idle circuit should stand on it's own. Without help from the transition circuit.
It should really change the idle quality and or kill the engine.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 10:44am

Change in PV should have zero effect on the idle, else its an indication you have things way out of sorts.

The 8 will give you problems you haven't encountered yet because the state of tune is still way out.

Sounds like you are still not idling on the correct circuit.

The idle fuel orifices in the metering block are likely still clogged.

If there was that much junk in the carb, you need to aggressively address fuel tank quality and filtration else even a new carb will go to crap in few minutes.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 11:43am
What size jets are you running ? #65 0r #66 should be adequate-did you replace the float needle valves?and seats? When you rebuilt the carb did you use carb cleaner and blow all the passages out with compressed air? Lots of info out there on tuning Holley Carbs-took me lots of tweaking to dial mine in-Good Luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegadgetguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 9:02pm

Guys, thanks a bunch for all the comments! They are much appreciated.

Originally posted by Chris74 Chris74 wrote:

I just had my carb rebuilt and it was a 6.5 put in not a 8.NOt sure how much of a difference that would make but someone on forum will.

Good to know, thanks. It sounds like the 6.5 was correct after all.

Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Have you closed the idle mixture screws one at a time ?
The idle circuit should stand on it's own. Without help from the transition circuit.
It should really change the idle quality and or kill the engine.

Yes, we did try this before, and I just tried it again a few minutes ago. The mixture screws obviously are doing something, because turning them does have an effect. Right now, closing them all the way actually makes the engine run better at idle because it is way too rich with them open. Something else is dumping way too much gas into the engine at idle.

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Change in PV should have zero effect on the idle, else its an indication you have things way out of sorts.

The 8 will give you problems you haven't encountered yet because the state of tune is still way out.

Sounds like you are still not idling on the correct circuit.

The idle fuel orifices in the metering block are likely still clogged.

If there was that much junk in the carb, you need to aggressively address fuel tank quality and filtration else even a new carb will go to crap in few minutes.

I think you are correct in saying something is way out of sorts. What that is, I have no idea. It sounds like the 6.5 power valve was the way to go, so I will swap that back in. What would cause the main circuit to be dripping gas at idle? I can see it coming out of the nozzles in the front two barrels. I don't think any of the junk we cleaned out of the carburetor came from the the fuel tank, though I could certainly be wrong - it looks like dried out ethanol gas.

Originally posted by Lakeview Lakeview wrote:

What size jets are you running ? #65 0r #66 should be adequate-did you replace the float needle valves?and seats? When you rebuilt the carb did you use carb cleaner and blow all the passages out with compressed air? Lots of info out there on tuning Holley Carbs-took me lots of tweaking to dial mine in-Good Luck

I will check on the jets when I pull the carb again tonight - they would be whatever was installed from the factory. Float needle valves and seats were replaced. I'm going to make sure they look like they are functioning correctly when it is apart. All of the passages were thoroughly blown out with both carb cleaner and compressed air during the rebuild.

I have some time tonight to look at it more and will reply with any updates. Thanks again!
'78 Tique
Tilleryboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilleryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 9:55pm
If the secondaries are dripping fuel at idle either the rear metering block gasket is leaking or the rear float is stuck. I had the same problem with the metering block gasket.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:34pm
The drips at idle on the primaries are due to the clogged idle fuel orifices.

Your idle stop is now opened too much because to the idle circuit is clogged and that's the only way your getting it to 'idle'.

Your idling now on the transition slots instead, and these pull fuel from the main jets.

The causes air from the main bleeds to percolate the raw fuel up to main boosters and cause the drips you see.

I believe your metering block is still clogged inside, and will never operate well at idle until you clean them or replace the metering block.

Your symptoms may be compounded my vacuum leaks. Hopefully you use fresh fel pro 1901 base gaskets, and not the crap in the rebuild kit.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 1:59pm
Since there is gas dripping, and you just rebuilt the carburetors, I would suggest checking the float adjustment level.    the Carburetor needle and seat valve shuts off the fuel when the float comes up the the appropriate level, so if the float is not adjusted properly, or t he needle and seat valve is leaking when the float is in the up position, gas will continue to dump into the carburetor.   If you have dripping fuel, the gas level is too high,   Bend the tab on the float down a touch to remedy the issue. This may require several small adjustments, as the engine is sitting at an angle. The Holley measurement for float level may need to be modified slightly to accommodate.   If you modify too much, the fuel level in the bowl will be too low, and you will have lean running issues.     The front barrels are the secondary's, so start with the float on that side, and check the primary also. While you have the bowls off, check the needle and seat by blowing into the fuel inlet (by mouth) to see if you can stop the fuel inlet by raising the float up to it's shut off point. The transition circuit comments are a good suggestion also, but you need to fix this dripping problem first, or you won't get a good read on the transition circuits.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegadgetguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:48pm
Hi everyone, thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it. Things are really busy right now, and this whole mess is not really what I wanted to deal with, haha

My dad and I ran the boat some more tonight and we messed with the floats some. I now cannot see gas dripping from the front two nozzles, so that is an improvement. It ran better, but would still idle with the idle screws screwed in all the way (and in fact idled best like that). It seems like one of the other circuits is still letting in gas when it is not supposed to. I know at least some of it is coming in through the rear two barrels, because I can see it pooling on top of the rear two throttle blades at idle. It's not coming out of the nozzles - there is a small slit right at the level of the blades that it comes out of. I used carb cleaner to follow the passageway, and it seems these are connected to the rear metering block.

I messed with the rear float level, but lowering it didn't really seem to decrease the fuel flow. I still need to test the needle valves to make sure that is working.

Also, the engine runs really rough - it shakes the whole boat. Is this a symptom of the fuel being too rich?
Originally posted by Tilleryboy Tilleryboy wrote:

If the secondaries are dripping fuel at idle either the rear metering block gasket is leaking or the rear float is stuck. I had the same problem with the metering block gasket.

I don't think the float is stuck because it moves pretty freely. I will look at the metering block gasket when I get another chance to mess with the boat.

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

The drips at idle on the primaries are due to the clogged idle fuel orifices.

Your idle stop is now opened too much because to the idle circuit is clogged and that's the only way your getting it to 'idle'.

Your idling now on the transition slots instead, and these pull fuel from the main jets.

The causes air from the main bleeds to percolate the raw fuel up to main boosters and cause the drips you see.

I believe your metering block is still clogged inside, and will never operate well at idle until you clean them or replace the metering block.

Your symptoms may be compounded my vacuum leaks. Hopefully you use fresh fel pro 1901 base gaskets, and not the crap in the rebuild kit.

I think you are right on the first part, except that I don't think the idle circuit is clogged. I have cleaned everything several times now, and it was idling okay before the rebuild, though not great. When the screws are open, more gas smoke comes out the exhaust and it bogs down. What are the "transition slots"? Are they the slots I mentioned above right by the the throttle blades?

Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Since there is gas dripping, and you just rebuilt the carburetors, I would suggest checking the float adjustment level.    the Carburetor needle and seat valve shuts off the fuel when the float comes up the the appropriate level, so if the float is not adjusted properly, or t he needle and seat valve is leaking when the float is in the up position, gas will continue to dump into the carburetor.   If you have dripping fuel, the gas level is too high,   Bend the tab on the float down a touch to remedy the issue. This may require several small adjustments, as the engine is sitting at an angle. The Holley measurement for float level may need to be modified slightly to accommodate.   If you modify too much, the fuel level in the bowl will be too low, and you will have lean running issues.     The front barrels are the secondary's, so start with the float on that side, and check the primary also. While you have the bowls off, check the needle and seat by blowing into the fuel inlet (by mouth) to see if you can stop the fuel inlet by raising the float up to it's shut off point. The transition circuit comments are a good suggestion also, but you need to fix this dripping problem first, or you won't get a good read on the transition circuits.

Thanks for this comment. Adjusting the floats seems to have helped. Any ideas on what's up with the rear bowl still leaking at idle through those slots by the rear throttle blade? Adjusting the rear float didn't seem to decrease the flow.

Thanks again for all the help! Also if there are any good books or websites on how these carbs work, please let me know. The stuff I have found on the internet so far has been helpful but far from comprehensive.

David
'78 Tique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 9:54am
I found this book to be a good, fast, read for principles and general operation theory. If you go to the Amazon page on this one, it will serve up some tuning specific ones. Holley also makes a good "Installation and Tuning" DVD, although much of that material is available for free on YouTube.

Here's the book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0895860473/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_4SYOxb4BEZ4TF
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 10:30am
SummitRacing.com produced several videos called "Quick Flicks" on various subjects -- including Holley carburetor tuning, etc. Go to YouTube.com and type the following in the Search Box:

"summit racing carb quick flicks"

Happy viewing.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 12:30pm
Have you considered just replacing your 38 year old carb? You can get a new one for under $500. I screwed around with mine for a couple of summers then just bit the bullet and bought a new one. Best decision ever. Back to skiing and having fun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegadgetguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2016 at 2:13am
Howdy guys, sorry for the long wait for a reply. Thanks a bunch for the tuning resources! Those videos on YouTube were helpful.

Anyway, we finally figured out what the problem was. The metering block gasket in the rebuild kit was incorrect, and was allowing gas to flow directly into the engine from the rear bowl. Once the old gasket was put back in and the the oil changed (there were like two quarts of gasoline in the oil from all the testing), it ran completely different. It fires right up now, and will die immediately if the idle adjustment screws are tightened all the way. Idles better than it has in a long time. Hopefully we can pick up a vacuum gauge and really dial in the tune this week.

Got to ski behind it on Sunday, so it made all the frustration worth it! I think I got the diary link working correctly, so I finally got a picture of the boat up. Thanks again for all the help and encouragement!

Gasket Photo
'78 Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic