NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shakedown cruise result - not ready yet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shakedown cruise result - not ready yet
    Posted: August-07-2016 at 6:39pm
So yesterday was the big day...   first time to have my boat in the water, hoping to get a good read on any little things that I needed to clean up to have this thing ready for family.   The good news is that the boat floats and starts.

the rest... well, it needs some work still

- at the ramp, the boat started, not too tricky, but it felt like it took a good while to warm up enough to get it in gear without stalling... maybe chalk this up to user inexperience.

- once running, it bogged severely when moving from idle to anything above that.   Once under load(in gear) the motor back fired a few times(thru the carb) and smelled strongly like unburned fuel.   once home, I discovered the carb idle screw on the observer side was out approx 8 turns, where the drivers side was about 2.5.    the idle smoothed out a good bit once I put the vacuum gauge on the motor and adjusted the screws for highest vacuum.   I end up with just over 14 inches of mercury as my end result.   hopefully this will help the bogging and flooding and backfiring issue on the water.   

- I had a fairly good vibration when the motor was under load, I hadn't felt it in the driveway on the hose, so this one was a bit of a surprise.    Once home again, I took a temp reading on all of the exhaust riser ports, and had 220 degrees or so on the front 2 cyls on each side, and about 200 on each of the rear cyls on the left, but only about 120 on the rear 2 cyls on the right.    Seems like the cylinders were too cold to have been firing.   I had new Autolite 764's in the glove box, so to eliminate a dead spark plug possibility, I replaced them with the new set.    I still have a strong vibration at 1800 RPM on the hose,,,   not sure what to make of that, I wonder if this has something to do with my issues under load?    what would cause this vibration?   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic