NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st Generation Ski Nautique Roster

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:43am
Art, when did you start working at Correct Craft? I've always wondered who designed the hulls. The SN, Mustang, Cuda and Wildcat hulls are some of the most beautiful hulls ever designed, IMO. Chris Craft and Century certainly did not have designers with nearly as good foresight as Correct Craft did when they went to glass.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 10:17pm
I'll try not to make this an autobiography, so will edit out a lot of details. In 1965 I bought a Ski Nautique from Leo Bentz without knowing what it represented,. It needed some new trim and a few parts to make it first-rate, so in my travels I stopped in at the CC factory to pick up the parts. Antiquated as it was at that time, I was fascinated with the building process. That was the beginning of my relationship with CC. As time went on, I got into the ski school business and used a SN as my main school boat. I got more and more involved in testing new ideas for them and coming up with improvements to the boat. I joined the tournament Promo Team in 1972 and between taking boats to tournaments, working fulltime, still doing some ski school, and trying to be a competitive skier, it was just too much. W.N. Meloon had made a casual remark about my coming to work for him at the 1973 Nationals, and in '74 I showed up at his office and announced that I was now working for him fulltime. Hardly looking up from his desk, he gave me my first assignment;, to install a reduction transmission in a SN and try it out. So the short answer is "Since 1965 and fulltime since 1974.
"Art"
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 11:32pm
Great story Art! Thanks for sharing that with all of us.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 5:46am
Hey guys don't know if anyone can help but urgently looking for a Chrysler 318 starter in running order ?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by ForestB ForestB wrote:

Hey guys don't know if anyone can help but urgently looking for a Chrysler 318 starter in running order ?

Is it a right-or left hand rotation engine, and is the starter mounted next to the block, or is it mounted through the bellhousing from the rear?
"Art"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:53am
Art, sounds like your job is what most of us do for our hobby. You must have loved going to work every day.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:56am
Nice bit of history Art. Thanks for sharing that and all the other tid bits of info you have.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Is it a right-or left hand rotation engine, and is the starter mounted next to the block, or is it mounted through the bellhousing from the rear?

Forest,
Do you have the starter? If so and considering your location, rebuild it. If you don't want to undertake the job yourself, there should be some shop in South Africa that can? All it may take are brushes and a commutator clean up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 10:01am
Art,
I sure wish I had a carrier path like yours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 2:26pm
The starter is on the bell housing , not sure if it's left or right hand rotating I've taken it to a few place and apparently it can't be fixed ? Is there not a place anywhere were I can get a new armature that's what I need
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 3:08pm
Not sure of your engine rotation? Is it a BW 1:1 transmission? If so, prop turns same way as engine. Check prop to determine. It is likely a reverse rotation engine, but check. If it is a reverse rotation and the starter is high up on the bell housing and comes in from the rear, then you use a "standard" rotation starter. Shouldn't be that hard to find, BUT, be sure to get a marine one (intrinsically safe) vs an auto one from auto zone. That could make it a little harder, but I bet they are out there.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 3:23pm

The starter is on the bell housing , not sure if it's left or right hand rotating I've taken it to a few place and apparently it can't be fixed ? Is there not a place anywhere were I can get a new armature that's what I need

If the starter is the one I am thinking of, it is easily available in the States. If the armature has failed, it would probably cost more to buy an armature than it would to buy a complete starter. We need to establish the engine rotation without any doubts. First check for the type of transmission you have. If it is an AS1-71 or a 1017, Warner it is a 1 to 1 ratio and the propeller will turn the same direction as the engine and will be marked RH by its manufacturer. Or, you can look at the propeller from behind the boat and see whether the prop turning clockwise would propel the boat forward.

There is a supplier of marine starters here in Florida called Arco that will have them in stock.
"Art"
Hercules_ZA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules_ZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 6:00pm

Forest

There is a place in Edenvale that specializes in starters.

They rebuilt a starter off an 89 Supra Comp for me, that other shops just shrugged their shoulders at.
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:06pm

Hey guys ive bought a new project but its missing the fiberglass guide the shaft goes through as shown in the picture . Can I just rip one out of one of my old hulls and fiberglass it back in or what is the best way to do it
Thanks in advance
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:11pm
Original would have been brass and glassed down. Angle needs to match the strut- so don't just pull any old log from a different model without measuring the angle.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:13pm
Yes, you can salvage a log from an old hull but only if the angle is the same. Getting the angle may be a challenge unless one of the members can help. If not, I'd set the engine in the hull and go off the trans coupling face and strut.

You can also go new.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:15pm
Forest B,

There is a company titled Buck Algonguin that makes brass Marine Hardware. They have been in business for over 50 years and they offer a online catalog. You are looking for a Brass Shaft Log. Goggle them and find a catalog and checkout their Shaft Logs. You will place it in the hull and glass it in like Tim just stated. They also offer struts and rudders and packing parts.

I hope this helps,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:16pm
The one i want to use is out of an old ski nautique and the shaft is out of the same one , what do you suggest i do ?
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:17pm
Thank you so much will have a look !
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:25pm
How do I measure the angle shaft log i will need ?
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:40pm
Thank you all so much for the help ! tell me if this will work out , the brass log ,strut and shaft are all off the same boat do i just need to adjust the engine to suite it ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 1:12pm
Forest,
Per Algonquin's site there is a 13 or a 12 degree log for a 1" shaft. You do not want to change the shaft angle as the hull came from the factory. Are you saying the strut and log you want to salvage from another boat are from a 1st generation SN? One degree doesn't sound like much but it would change the way the hull performs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 1:14pm
Both are SN Hulls and correct I will salvage the log and strut from the old hull
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 1:18pm

Both are SN Hulls and correct I will salvage the log and strut from the old hull

Then you are good to go if both are 1st generations. When you go to set the log, I suggest making a mock up of were the engine trans coupling is centered and then run a mock up shaft aft though the strut so you get the log in the proper spot on the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2016 at 2:50pm
so if I mount the trans in the original mounting wholes it should be centered just so I have something to work from
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 3:39am
So turns out the shaft log I wanted to use is worn through , what angle shaft log to I need to buy for the first gen hull
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 6:47am

So turns out the shaft log I wanted to use is worn through , what angle shaft log to I need to buy for the first gen hull

Even though the salvage log is worn through, get the angle off it. Do make sure both the salvage hull and the hull you are working on are the same.
Someone may know the angle, and if you can't get the angle off the bad log, you can always go back to this:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes, you can salvage a log from an old hull but only if the angle is the same. Getting the angle may be a challenge unless one of the members can help. If not, I'd set the engine in the hull and go off the trans coupling face and strut.

You can also go new.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 10:07am

Even though the salvage log is worn through, get the angle off it. Do make sure both the salvage hull and the hull you are working on are the same.
Someone may know the angle, and if you can't get the angle off the bad log, you can always go back to this:

You can also go new.

As best as I can remember, the shaft angle on 1st. gen SNs was 14 degrees. I can check later and confirm. I measured a strut that I have from those days, and it measured at 13.5 degrees. One or 2 degrees of variance won't kill the job. If you like, I can measure the distance from the inside of the transom to the face of the output flange on the transmission of the '61 SN at the factory. That might help you locate the engine position.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 10:10am
Please see my reply in the next post.
"Art"
ForestB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 11:45am
okay just to get things clear I am a little bit clueless the transom would be ?
And any measurements for the SN would highly appreciated thanks !
Such a great group will definitely organize some donations
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic