Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 351W Engine - Reverse Rotation Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dubseven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 351W Engine - Reverse Rotation Question
    Posted: October-26-2016 at 4:26pm
I recently purchased an 85 Ski Nautique 2001 with a PCM 351W in it that was completely seized up.

I mis-read the engine tag as standard rotation, not reverse. Rookie mistake - first time working on a boat.

I bought a 351W roller motor from a 96 F-150, swapped over the GT40 heads, intake manifold etc, and installed into boat. It has a mild roller cam in it. Didn't realize my mistake until I found the distributor gear from the old boat would not mesh with the new regular rotation camshaft.

What do I need to do to have this engine work - or will it not work at all? Best I can tell, just swap the cam out, or is there a cam gear setup that will spin the cam correctly?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 4:32pm
There is no gear setup that will spin that cam correctly.   There are also no roller cams for reverse rotation 351s. So minimum to make it make noises in the right direction is a new reverse rotation flat tappet cam with lifters and likely new pushrods.

Then you need to worry about the rear main seal being the wrong direction and pumping oil out of the motor into the bilge.   There are a bunch of other differences to the motors but with a used motor I say swap the cam and rear main and give it a shot--- might get you skiing a good long time.    But I would be easy on her for a while after you start runnin her backards to see how she takes it .

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 5:40pm
Depending upon which pistons Ford uses (ie. offset wrist pin or centered wrist pin) you may need to reverse the pistons. The notch on the pistons will need to face the rear of the engine. Sealed Power pistons for Ford replacement pistons are offset and therefor will need to be installed notch to the rear. Water pump will need to be switched over to that engine also. You are basically looking at a new rebuild. As Joe stated: the crank is wrong too if it has the wick lines knurled into the seal diameter.
Donor auto/truck motors are not drop-ins.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 5:44pm
Wouldn't it be easier to keep the engine LH?

New cam gear
New starter
New prop
Swap trans pump
Turn RWP upside down
dubseven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 5:45pm
I dont believe pins are offset but will check. Crank surfaces looked perfectly smooth when installed seals.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to keep the engine LH?

That's what I was thinking,   LOL.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
dubseven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:04pm
I think you mean new distributor gear? Will that mess with the mechanical advance?

What does Swap trans pump and Turn RWP upside down mean?

Thanks!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by dubseven dubseven wrote:

I think you mean new distributor gear? Will that mess with the mechanical advance?

Thanks!

If you swap the dist. gear to the truck/car gear then you can use your existing dist.
RawWaterPump, turn it over so it will pump the correct direction.
Transmission pump cover has CW/CCW direction arrows for whichever direction you need.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:14pm
Trans spins same direction as motor, will need to be swapped from RR to LR.
RWP also set to spin RR so flip it to run LH
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:14pm

Thanks!

Andrew,
The hydraulic pump in the front of the trans can be indexed to the rotation of the engine. It basically reverses the pressure and suction ports of the fluid..

The RWP (raw water pump) is also revisable for the rotation. Turning it upside down places the cam that compresses the rubber impeller on the opposite side so the in and out ports are reversed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:15pm
Yes I meant new distributor gear

Since then rwp will be turning backwards you just need to mount it upside down. Swapping the hoses would be far more difficult.

Trans pumps relative to rotation but these transmissions can spin either way. It's an easy modification but I don't know the specifics.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:15pm
If it was me, I'd rebuild for a RR. You got all winter to do it. Then you have a zero time engine.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:37pm
Just to clarify/summarize... You have 2 options. Convert rebuild from LH to RH or convert the externals to run the engine LH.

The latter option will make the boat ride with a starboard lean and will be detrimental to the boats handling. I would highly advise getting a RH engine in there even if the time/cost involved in doing so is incrementally higher.
dubseven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 6:53pm
I am being told by swapping the input rotation on the trans, and then rotating the plate, the output will stay the same, and I do not need a new prop?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 7:27pm
Don't think it's possible, trans guys will explain
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 7:48pm

I am being told by swapping the input rotation on the trans, and then rotating the plate, the output will stay the same, and I do not need a new prop?

The output of the trans matches the input rotation of the engine. Indexing the trans pump does NOT reverse the output of the trans. IE, if you index the pump for a LH engine, you are simply indexing pressure and suction ports of the pump so you would need a LH prop.

I'm with Tim - Build a RH engine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 8:13pm

Every now and then there comes the time when this picture comes in handy

Like these guys are saying it won't work to have a normal rotation engine turn a reverse rotation prop by re indexing your BORG WARNER trans that came with the boat

Whoever is telling you that, like the BS meter says is wrong but not intentionally misleading you. You can make it turn the prop the same way as the engine but not the opposite way

It's a fairly common misconception, but it's been accidentally proven more than a few times by people.

If you decide to try it, and take a LH engine and index the pump for opposite rotation, you'll have a boat that has nothing but neutral.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:32pm
Just one more option to throw out there at you. In your first post you said the boat came with a completely seized up engine. Depending on the extent of the damage, you could rebuild that engine to whatever spec you want, have exactly the engine and drivetrain you need, use all the current accessories with no modification needed. You could keep or sell the roller truck motor. Just a thought.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:33pm
Yeah i stick with my original answer - upgrade the cam and rear main and take your chances. Piston pins are not offset in that engine, if you wanted to build a new engine i am guessing that is what you would have done already.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:33pm
If you want some maybe interesting, maybe confusing reading read this old thread on rotation

It'll probably have your head rotating in both directions at the same time
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:35pm
Why is the original engine seized? Maybe using parts from both the old one & the truck engine you can put together a running RH engine.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 2:48am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Just one more option to throw out there at you. In your first post you said the boat came with a completely seized up engine. Depending on the extent of the damage, you could rebuild that engine to whatever spec you want, have exactly the engine and drivetrain you need, use all the current accessories with no modification needed. You could keep or sell the roller truck motor. Just a thought.

63 Skier suggestion makes the most sense. Some of the other suggestions are do able, questionable, and the results may work, OR NOT. At this point you have time (which = money) and money invested and possibly a season wasted.

Between the two motors you may have enough good hard parts to complete a build. If lucky, you may have a complete rotating assembly that is un-damaged with the block that it was married to. This would eliminate a lot of expensive machining if you choose to build on a budget. This is not the preferred method but it is done frequently with good results.

If you choose to splurge and add power, at your elevation you should be able to bump compression up to 9.7 :1 to 10:1 and still run 87 octane fuel. My Century Resorter runs
9.7: 1 CR on a stroker motor at 4500 ft. elevation on 87 octane without problems.

At least with 63 Skier's method you know what you have and will be up and running in spring, instead of beginning to sort out issues and possibly end up needing a new short block any way. At worst purchase a short block and install a reverse rotation cam and then bolt all of the stock hardware back on. Short blocks are not that expensive if you do not purchase all the hi end stuff.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 8:37am
I've done what your trying to do. I got a Bronco engine and reversed it.
The piston pins in mine were offset by .125 so I lightly honed the cylinders
and swapped the pistons right bank for left. Easier than turning the pistons
around on the rods. Installed new rings and bearings a reverse rotation cam
and crank seals. The r/r/ main seal was around a hundred bucks itself.
I also hopped it up some maybe 300 + hp It's got a couple hundred hours on the rebuild now and going strong.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

dubseven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 1:28pm
What year was your Bronco engine?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 3:38pm
The block is an 89 I think.
Didn't use the lifter spider, Cam Research marine R/R cam and lifters
85 & newer cranks are 1 piece rear main seals
The block and crank need to be alike or you can use a "speedy sleeve"
on an older crank (2 peace rope seal) to fit it to a newer block.
I bought the book "How to rebuild a small block Ford (lots of good info)
Also marine engines like to be built loose because they run under constant
torque. (load)
I used 1.7 Ford racing roller rockers instead of 1.6 so the valves will open about .031 more.
If you bolt on GT-40p heads stock there worth about 40 hp mine are lightly ported.
There common in early 90s ish Explorers w/302s just open up the head bolt holes
from 7/16 to 1/2 inch
Runs well flirt's with 50 mph
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2016 at 5:58pm
If someone is parting out a Nautique with the 1.23 tranny and prop you could swap trannys and run a Std rotation engine while keeping the reverse rotation prop drive.
You would need the tranny and prop which would be very expensive new but maybe available in a boat parting out.

The piston issue on Piston Pin offset.   Ford did use a .060 Piston Pin offset in the 351W.
This was done for years to help the pistons take a set rather than rock in the cylinder.
This is thought to make the pistons run quieter, less piston slap and better ring seal.
Most Forged pistons ran zero offset as the goal was less friction and higher RPM ability.

If you run your std rotation engine in reverse with the right parts the piston offset will not cause any issues at all.   Many rebuilt Marine Reverse rotation engines are running with the piston offset reversed and no one knows because it causes no issues.

I knew Professional NHRA racers that ran the pistons intentionally reversed, offset on wrong side because they wanted less drag internally. RPM was the goal.
Any loss in Ring Seal was so minimal it was not a concern. The class rules mandated they run the factory type piston so they did but reversed them hoping for a gain.

Some pistons will have valve clearance issues if you choose to put the piston in reversed.
The engine spins reverse rotation but the heads are the same on both std and rev rotation engines. Intake valves are larger than exhaust valves and reversing can cause Valves to hit the piston if the valve relief is not cut the same for intake and exhaust valves.   
slansman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 7:52pm
Hey guys,
I am in the process of rebuilding my reverse 351 and this post have provided some great insight. I have the stock style sealed power pistons as are mentioned above and would like to install them "backwards" or with the notch to the back as suggested for reverse rotation. Was just wondering if anyone could confirm that there would be no valve clearance issue as it appears the dish is slightly offset to one side. Additionally I am running gt40p heads.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 9:16pm
Look at the eyebrow cuts or valve reliefs in your pistons. If they have 4 reliefs per piston you are good to install, if they have 2 per piston you probably can't reverse them.
slansman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slansman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 9:21pm
I am using the sealed power 463p pistons they have one big relief dish however the dish is slightly offset. I think flipping them will make that offset shift to the opposite side and I didn't know if this would cause the valve to be on the edge of the dish.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 12:02am
The 463P has a large dish and 2 valve reliefs but they are on opposite sides of the connecting rod and opposing.   You might call Sealed Power Tech Line for help they are really good. 800-325-8886.   They have access to the piston blue print and can tell you the depth and size of each eyebrow.
This piston is .060 offset.
On that piston I would set your top ring gap at .016, second ring gap at .023. This has proven to offer the best ring seal in these engines. The second ring will run fine as tight as .008 but opening it to .023 helps the top ring seat better under power.. You can do some reading on this but Sealed Power proved this in the 90's and is standard procedure in engine building today.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic