NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glass Layup Schedule on '82 2001?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
Nautique Newby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2022 at 12:30pm
I finally got the engine back in the boat over the 4th weekend.  Trying to get everything connected back up and chasing my tail on getting the shaft flanges aligned just right (.003").
I got a new Holley 4160 carb to replace the auto carb on the boat when I bought it.  It still needs a spacer for the throttle linkage to work and I plan to reuse the alum that was on it.  It's hollow on the bottom so concerned about vaccum leaks.  I read on other threads that the PCM RM0054B gasket from Skidim will seal spacers but wanted to make sure it will work on the one I have. 
I may flatten the bottom of the spacer just make sure it's not warped or nicked.

I hope I don't screw this up!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2022 at 3:53pm
Finally got the boat back in the water yesterday after 6 long years fixing it.  Engine ran really well.  Smooth and strong.  The new Holley and DUI HEI did the trick.  The only issue I had was a vibration in the drivetrain around 2000 rpm and up.  Got really noticeable around 3000.  I took great care in aligning the shaft so unless it's a prop issue I'm not sure what it would be.

The strut was not in alignment when I got the boat but it was not bent thankfully.  I replaced the bearings in the strut and put it back on using a split bushing/spacer in the shaft log and aligned the strut with the shaft in the log bushing and strut making sure it was not binding (rotating with least resistance).  Then adjusted the engine mating flanges alignment.
Prop came with the boat and has some "chewed" edges but it doesn't seem too bad.

Any ideas on a likely culprit?

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2022 at 8:41pm
Chewed edges is more than likely the problem.
 Prop is probably bent and or the shaft could be bent.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2022 at 1:03pm
The prop was what I was thinking.  I rolled the shaft on a large piece of polished granite before I reinstalled it looking for variations in the gap under shaft and saw none.  I realize this is not the preferred method but I don't have the equipment to do an accurate dial indicator test. But I assumed this method would be good enough to see if it was bent enough to cause issues.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2022 at 1:53pm
Took the boat out again this weekend and kept it under 2000 rpm for about an hour and a half and it did fine.  I did notice however when I put it up that the prop was not seated on the shaft taper.  it was loose, which is surprising since I lapped the prop and shaft to each other before I put it back on and it was tight on the shaft at that time.  I've removed the prop to try some rough testing to see if any of the blades are heavier than others.  I will lap it again and reinstall for another test run before I completely give up and replace the prop.
Also discovered the rudder housing was leaking water around the base so I've removed that assembly to clean it up and reinstall with 4200.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2022 at 1:28pm
Before I spend a lot of money on a new prop and possibly a new shaft I've kept tinkering with what I have to remedy the vibration.  After lapping the prop to the shaft 3-4 times I still cannot get an even fit.  I'm always left with blue on part of the shaft (see photos).  So I pulled out the dial gage and tested three points along the shaft taper, one just above the nut, one about mid way and one just above the key slot.  I got about .003 variation at the nut end, about .002 mid way and ,002 at the strut end.  The variation on the taper seems to be consistent with the keyway side of the taper being closest to the gage and falls away on the opposite side.  Based on this and the blueing photos I'm thinking maybe the keyway has mushroomed slightly from use with improper prop install and therefore cannot get proper seat.  I may take a file or stone to the keyway side to see if I can correct.  If that doesn't work I guess the only other option is new shaft and prop.

I welcome any other thoughts.

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2022 at 7:01am
Where in Alabama are you or do you ever come up to Nashville?  I have 2 spare Federalists from my 85 and  you are more than welcome to throw one of them on it to see if it is the prop.  I am in Franklin on the south side of Nashville.  

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2022 at 2:10pm
That's very generous of you and I greatly appreciate the offer.  I live in B'ham area.  I've attempted to remove the high spot at the key way on the shaft and reseated the prop.  I got a better fit but still not as good as I wanted.  I'm going to try running the boat again to see if the vibration is still there.  If it is then I'll have to figure out my next step. Thanks again.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2022 at 2:00pm
How about a picture of the prop. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2022 at 1:55pm
Pics of prop.  It has some nicks on the edges. 

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2022 at 4:34pm
The lapping (or lack thereof) isn’t going to bother that mantlepiece.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2022 at 9:44pm
Does seem like the key way on one or both the prop and or the key is garbage- but that prop is junk - for less than the money you spent on a carb and a DUI an acme 540 will provide a much bigger improvement. Nice boat!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2022 at 11:50pm
He had a nicer prop on the boat he parted out. Should have switched them just to try- than got the Acme Wink

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2022 at 9:12am
I agree with all the above ^^^ but hang it in the shed not an the mantle. LOL
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2022 at 10:38am
Table lamp base?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 8:44am
Thanks for all of the replies.  Looks like it's unanimous that the prop needs to be replaced.  What are opinions on the shaft?  I hate to get a new prop and try lapping it to a shaft that I cannot get a good fit with the old prop.  But I also don't want to spend another $500 on something that doesn't need replacing.  If I replace I'll prob go with the double taper.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 8:47am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Does seem like the key way on one or both the prop and or the key is garbage- but that prop is junk - for less than the money you spent on a carb and a DUI an acme 540 will provide a much bigger improvement. Nice boat!

Unfortunately I had no choice on the carb and the DUI.  The one that came on it was an auto carb and the old distributer/coil was junk.  It's starting to feel like a brand new boat considering how much I've had to replace LOL
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 9:25am
Bottom line you need a new prop anyway. Get it and see how it laps in. Did you originally have the shaft out and checked to see if it was straight? If your old prop was worth saving a good prop shop can run a tapered ream in it to clean that area up, but that prop is done.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Bottom line you need a new prop anyway. Get it and see how it laps in. Did you originally have the shaft out and checked to see if it was straight? If your old prop was worth saving a good prop shop can run a tapered ream in it to clean that area up, but that prop is done.....

I'm confident the shaft is straight but the taper might be out by .002"-.003".  I put a dial indicator on it and rotated at three places on the taper and it was consistently out.
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 12:50pm
Where are you located in AL?
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by ScottZ ScottZ wrote:

Where are you located in AL?

Apparently right up the road from you in the Chelsea/Graystone area.  My coworker has a place on Lake Mitchell.  Is that the lake you frequent?
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 4:10pm
Yes.  I have a house on Cargile Creek.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2022 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Nautique Newby Nautique Newby wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm confident the shaft is straight but the taper might be out by .002"-.003".  I put a dial indicator on it and rotated at three places on the taper and it was consistently out.

I would say that when you aligned it and were .002 - .003 out (which is within tolerance) that would transfer down to the taper as you rotate it. 
 I don't think that would give you the vibration your describing, as Gary said you need a prop anyway, so start with that. JMHO

Now if your getting less than that above the taper and .002 - .003 at the taper then it took a hit on the end of the shaft.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2023 at 10:16am
I went ahead and got a new A.R.E. dual taper shaft instead of screwing around with the old shaft.  I know the prop needs to be lapped to the shaft but does the tapered coupler need to be lapped to the shaft too?  I put some marking fluid on it and turned the coupling on the taper a few times.  There was a good bit of blue left.  The photo shows the side with the most residue left.

andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2023 at 10:20am
Pictures have been an issue that is resolved using a third party.  Go to the Common Questions/Adding Images sticky.  Pretty simple after you've done it once.
Builder
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2023 at 10:45am
Thanks for the photo insight Andrew.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2023 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Nautique Newby Nautique Newby wrote:

I went ahead and got a new A.R.E. dual taper shaft instead of screwing around with the old shaft.  I know the prop needs to be lapped to the shaft but does the tapered coupler need to be lapped to the shaft too?  I put some marking fluid on it and turned the coupling on the taper a few times.  There was a good bit of blue left.  The photo shows the side with the most residue left.

If I was gonna do the lapping job on one end of the shaft, I'd see no reason at all to ignore the other end Wink

Somebody might say that A.R.E machined the shaft and the coupling so the fit should be real good, your picture doesn't show a lot of good contact though.

Is it safe to assume you've watched a video or pictorial thread on shaft lapping?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2023 at 9:31am
"Is it safe to assume you've watched a video or pictorial thread on shaft lapping?"

Yes, I watched videos and read Pete's instructions on this forum. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2023 at 3:08pm
Questions for the resident boat wiring experts... last year (and one page back on this thread) I was rewiring the dash and engine wiring trying to clean up a mess I inherited when I bought the boat.  However I did not touch the alternator or external regulator because everything seemed to be running ok last summer and this summer.  But the last time I had the boat on the water I noticed the voltage gauge was reading 17 volts at speed.  Obviously concerned I took the gauge out of the dash and connected directly to the battery.  Per my elec diagnostic meter it should have read 12.5volts off the battery.  Instead it read 15 volts.  So the gauge is bad.
But I started to get concerned about what the alternator actually putting out so I started digging into the alternator wiring.  I discovered that I have a Mando alternator that appears to have an internal regulator.  However the alternator was also wired to the external regulator.  I've included a pic of the back of the alternator below.  The wire to the battery was connected to the positive battery terminal (orange in the photo) which was correct.  The ground wire ran to the black wire on the regulator (which was probably still grounded to the motor so probably okay) but the external regulator green wire was connected to the exciter post on the alternator (red in the photo).  However all other external regulator wires were loose so I don't think the exciter post had any power to it.  If that's the case then not sure the alternator was regulating voltage at all (my understanding is that the regulators on these Mando alternators need ignition power through the exciter to work).
Questions regarding correcting this mess;
- What is the jumper shown in the photo between the main positive output post (orange) and the sense positive post (blue)?  Based on he mickey mouse wiring that was in this boat this jumper looks like it may be factory. But I have not seen that in any diagrams or photos of Mando alternators online. Is the jumper possibly powering the voltage regulator?
- If i run an exciter wire from the ignition to the exciter post (red), does the jumper need to come off to avoid powering both sides?  Again, I haven't seen any jumpers on Mando alternator photos or diagrams.
- What is the positive sense post (blue) for on the alternator?  That may inform whether I leave it connected.

I'm trying to get all of this straightened out without ruining anything else (particularly my new DUI !!) so any help would be much appreciated.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2023 at 5:53pm
Now you can say that you've seen a photo of a Mando alternator with the jumper installed. Wink

That's how it came from PCM. 

It wasn't a wire like yours but it was a strap with some black heat shrink tubing over it. Aftermarket ones came with a wire you could use just like what you have. The sensing terminal could be wired to other spots in the system in a car but in a boat the setup shown works just fine hooked directly to the alternator output.

So............leave it hooked up and run the Orange output wire to the starter solenoid/relay on the same post as the cable from the battery. That takes care of your Blue circle

Your Red circle is excitation fed from the ignition switch and has power in Run and Start just like your distributor and choke wires. That's the Yellow wire in the picture

There's a Black ground wire from the factory in the picture too that people will tend to leave off because the casing is grounded through the mounting bolts. Linda your choice there.

Pretty easy wiring, go back to the second post from the bottom on page 5 and refer to the TRB diagram for the alternator wiring. Since you have a DUI distributor it'll be a little different in other places but you wire the alternator like described above and shown in the diagram

And like mentioned in that same post, the external regulator get's removed, never to be used again.

I think you have it pretty well figured out Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic