Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FCC Retrofit Conversion for a '95 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FCC Retrofit Conversion for a '95 SN
    Posted: June-01-2017 at 11:55pm
1995 Ski Nautique with PCM GT-40/Ford 351 with the the discontinued 962 PFI High Pressure 3024A fuel pump.

After dealing with no starting issues due to a loss of fuel pressure at the rail and considering other options, I finally decided to purchase the #82316 FCC Fuel Pump Retrofit Kit from Discount Inboard Marine.

It arrived with no instructions at all, just the FCC, low pressure pump, some fuel lines, a couple of brackets and a bunch of nuts, bolts and washers.

I am looking for installation pictures or instructions from anyone who has done this conversion previously or for pictures of a 1995 or 1996 with factory installed FCC that I may be able use for guidance.

I did a couple of forum searches, but I wasn't able to come across anything (how do you access the advanced forum search feature instead of the quick search option?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 12:49am
Yea I talked to a PCM rep back in March about it and decided to make up my own "kit". First thing I asked- were there any instructions? Nope. Asked about a parts list for the GT40,they told me to go on their web site, Web site only has Chevy lists. Not too helpful.Sent an email a few weeks ago to the person I had talked to,no response. I feel at times I could get more product support from Holman Moody. Did you get a wiring harness? Does it have a part number you can share?

Here is the GT40 parts pdf pages F2-1 and F2-2 might be helpful as might a call to Vince at Discount Inboard Marine GT40 pdf when they reference standard riser that means direct drive boat,reverse riser means V drive boat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 1:24am

Green arrow is fuel feed to FCC from low pressure pump
Blue arrow is fuel return to tank
Now the next 2 on mine are different from this picture but one will be in line with the pump obviously the outlet to the fuel rail and the other is just an open ended,meaning just dumps back into the FCC,fuel return from the fuel rail.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Here is the GT40 parts pdf pages F2-1 and F2-2 might be helpful as might a call to Vince at Discount Inboard Marine GT40 pdf when they reference standard riser that means direct drive boat,reverse riser means V drive boat.

Off subject but now you've done it Gary!!!!   If you look in the PDF at the exploded block view part #2 is listed as a .... wait for it....... Plug, Freeze brass 1 1/2 OD
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 11:34am
Arrh Matey freeze plugs they be !
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 11:53am
I did find the discussion I recalled before.

1995 GT-40 Fuel Pump/FCC conversion

Any additional pics or tips from other who have done this conversion would be appreciated.

I will document my experience and post my pics as well. I hope to get started this evening.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 8:00pm
Gary   Thanks for the pics. I did get a wiring harness in the kit. The P/N on it is: 8114086

I will post pics of parts and my progress over the course of the weekend.

Again, if anyone has additional pics or tips on the conversion it would be appreciated.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 8:14pm
I have a 95 that has a FCC which I assume was added later.

I'll be at the boat tomorrow and can post some pics.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 11:55pm
Are the ports on the circumference of the FCC interchangeable ? (meaning in Gary's pic above, could the blue and green arrows be switched without any issues?)

The FCC in the kit I received came with (1) 90 degree fitting, 2 plugged ports, and some extra fittings. The position of the installed fitting hits the alternator when I mount it to the bracket The other 2 plugged ports are on the opposite side. Can I plug the port with the fitting in it now and use the other 2 ports for fuel supply and return. It looks like they all just dump into the canister, but I am not sure.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 12:15am
Yes as far as I understand. Technically only the output (pressure) is the one that can't be changed. The return on the top can't either only because the 90 on the fuel rail return hose fits there. Like you say they all just go straight in (or out in case of the fuel return to the tank) make a 90 then dump into the FCC
While you have the FCC apart can you take a picture or post the numbers on the high pressure pump please? Is it a Walbro? if it is it will have a number like GSS ___
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 12:36am
(edit: I didn't see your post above Gary until after I posted this)

The 3 circumferential ports are labeld 1, 2, & 3 in the picture above. My question is if these are interchangeable. The fitting in location 1 hits the alternator. I am wondering if I can move the fitting to position 2 or 3.

Also, I am assume that port A is the fuel supply to the rail. This seems to line up with the pump outlet.

Another assumption is that the low pressure fuel pump bracket mounts here on top of this cover ?!?! the bolt hole spacing seems the same.

What is the cover for? (i.e. what is behind it?)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 12:46am
That just covers the mechanical fuel pump boss for carburetor motors Ford just used the same timing chain covers for all engines. 10 posts down on here is a closeup of a gt40 FCC. I'd just mount your new fittings into where they are on this FCC. You can also kinda see how the low pressure pump mounts too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 12:46am
Gary, the FCC pump is marked Walbro   first line: 05217-1     second line:   AOU269
I don't see any other markings on it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 12:53am
No GSS ___ then ? I'm learning alot about these pumps,seems they are built just for PCM with numbers that don't match any Walbro numbers,Thanks Tim
As to your FCC I think I'd just put the plug into #1 spot, feed from low pressure pump into #2 and fuel return to tank in #3 thats the 90 with the hose barb.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 12:54am
I will take another look at the pump tomorrow with my glasses on , but I didn't see any other markings.

Thanks Gary, I think I will switch the plugs and fittings around. Otherwise I have to rotate the FCC counter clockwise to the bracket and can only mount using 2 of the 3 bolt holes. I would prefer to use all 3 !

I'm also 'gonna need a new, longer fuel line from tank to the new position of the low pressure fuel pump and a new, slightly longer coolant hose to the left side manifold as I had to rotate the manifold fitting up to clear the FCC bracket.

Another question.... I noticed the FCC has a filter in it. I also have an inline fuel filter between the tank and low pressure pump. Do I need to remove this or is it OK to leave in place? I am planning to leave in place to protect the LPP unless someone thinks total restriction in the system may be too high with both filters.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 1:05am
You might need a longer return to tank too,I know I will because with my engine being in the boat backwards the FCC mounts to the starboard side head above and along side of the trans. Mine have never been changed so it might be time anyway.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 1:16am
As to the fuel filter I was planning to remove it only because FCC boats didn't have it. I do know that the LP pump under those 3 top mount studs has a plate that comes off and under that is a filter screen that must be there to keep big chunks out of the vanes of the pump.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 7:32pm
No other markings on the FCC pump other than Walbro, 05217-1 / AOU269

I got everything figured out, mounted up, & electrical connected, I bought some automotive (temporary only) heater hose and fuel line to accommodate the new routings and once she filled up with fuel she fired right up.

I left the in-line fuel filter in place, mainly because I didn't have enough fuel line to make the whole run.

Once I clean up some of the fuel line and wiring harness routings I will post some pics of the new install.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2017 at 11:46pm
Great news then glad it worked out
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2017 at 10:19pm

Dos anyone know why after the regulator, the fuel line can't just return to tank? Instead it goes back to the FCC and then returns to tank. Other than the FCC high pressure pump outlet (blue line), all the other ports on the FCC appear to have fluid passages direct to the FCC canister. It certainly would clean up the routing if the orange and red lines in my schematic could be eliminated and the excess fuel could just return to tank after the regulator.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 12:06am
Nice drawing Tim. Good question I know the 6 liter and up Chevy's are different,the regulator is built into the FCC and a different pump is also used. Contacted Walbro to find out more but pump number is not in their list. Here is their reply-
"I was unable to find any information on a GSS 439 pump on our end. Not
to say that it couldn't exist but it could be a pump that you have to
get from the application manufacturer directly. Let me know If I can be
of further assistance for you."

Here is the top,no return just the hi pressure feed-

This is looking inside,the internal regulator sits down in this well,the drilling in the side of the well goes straight into the pump feed outlet. This is stopped from directly returning to the FCC by the regulator that sits in here

Regulator removed-

I plugged this drilling by tapping with a 1/16" pipe tap and installing a plug

Then I drilled the FCC cap thru where the top of the regulator sat and tapped it with a 1/4 npt for the fuel rail return.

My plan as of now is to take a fuel pressure reading as it sits with the original pump. Then change the system over and check the pressure of this 6.0 pump. If it's too high I might try a Walbro GSS 340 they look to be identical to the PCM pump,handle up to 500 hp and they are 50 bucks.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 12:44am
Good luck   I hope it works!

I didn't like paying the $$$ I did for the retro fit kit, but the peace of mind of knowing that my starting issues are (hopefully) behind me is worth it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 1:33am
I understand completely. I'm glad PCM came up with an alternative. If I was having trouble I'd just spend the money too since our season is too short. But since mine is running I have time to experiment    Mine is low hours but I really think the difference is the large engine compartment of the V drive where as with the enclosed doghouses like yours it must get hotter inside which I thinks hurts the pump. Right now I have about 175 invested,I need to get the 3 braided fuel lines at about 50 a pop,the wire harness,fuel filter,new 3/8" fuel line and possibly a new HP pump.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 3:13am
Gary, we kicked this around quite a bit a year ago.
The only reason we came up for the 2nd return line that goes back to the HP feed is that it would be a redundant source of fuel should the boat hit rough water and the fuel feed is disrupted for brief periods.   
In the Automotive world they always dump the return line direct to the fuel tank and this allows for a cool supply of fuel to the fuel rail at all times.
If my High Pressure pump goes out I will eliminate the second return line and install a new Carter pump exactly where the original pump is now and for $80 and a few retro fits the boat will be running again.
I am not new to fuel pumps, in the 90's I attended a week long Electric Fuel Pump School at the Carter Fuel factory in St Louis. I helped mechanics diagnose fuel pump issues for Carter for about 15 years so this is nothing special to my thinking.
I was not an engineer but I got to speak with them any time I had a question and needed expertise.   Carter was sold off several years ago so I have lost my inside contacts but this is old technology and easy stuff.
Gary don't worry about having too much pressure. That is what the pressure relief valve is for. It will return all excess back to the tank and keep your supply cool.
Normally a pump will be able to deliver at least 20 PSI more than your pressure relief is set at. Just make sure your pump of choice has enough Gallons per hour rating to cover a 351W.

I believe PCM was very new to fuel injection and put together a mix of parts to get the 1995 Pro Boss released.   Notice they changed to a better system one year later.
Mine is a 95 and runs like a top so they did not miss by much.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 10:35am
Interesting Mark I must have missed that. I think that's what Paul (gun driver) did ? FCC and   fuel pump I have was from Jody and is off the ZR 409's and 8.1's so it should have the volume for a 351. That was the reason for me to contact Walbro,to get it's spec's but you see what that got! Thanks for the info.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 2:20pm
You are correct it was Gun Driver last time around. I assume his boat is running this summer?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 10:30am
Yes that was me.
I found an original new 764 pump on ebay that I'm running in between testing so I'm back up and running
I did do some testing on the pump from summit that did away with the stainless braided line connecting the return to the pump. Problem with that pump was the fitting for the bottom of the pump was an oddball size (cant remember size off hand) I found a fitting that would work at a place by me that makes custom hydraulic lines it needed cut down before using.
It seemed to work fine but unfortunately I didn't get enough testing on it in hot weather to confirm it was a solid fix or not so I did not feel comfortable enough recommend to all.
Hopefully I'll get more testing this year and a solution will be less than $100.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic