Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GT40P Heads - How Much Performance Improvement?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40P Heads - How Much Performance Improvement?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40P Heads - How Much Performance Improvement?
    Posted: June-04-2017 at 8:56pm
Gents:

I have a 1994 PCM High Output "Pro Boss" 5.8 engine. 700 hours on the clock. I keep reading about people upgrading to the GT40P heads. What improvement could I look forward to if I were to add the "P" heads to the current configuration over the standard GT40 heads that I currently have?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 9:22pm
Think you already have the GT-40 heads on that motor. I'm sure others will chime in- but the HO has Gt-40 heads. Look on your motor. That year would have three lines on the end of the head.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 9:23pm
To answer your question. PCM told me 50 HP.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 10:05pm
Going from GT-40 to GT-40P heads with all else being equal will lighten your wallet and provide negligible gains.

With only 700 hrs your heads should be in good shape and doing the swap, I'd say you wouldn't see any difference at all in performance.

It would be easier to change spark plugs though

Going from the earlier 240 HP heads to the 40's or 40P's is where people see some impressive gains especially with cam and intake changes

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 10:15pm
But if your GT40's are cracked which many have done, the P's will will leave your wallet heaver than getting another set of plain 40's . Not many Fords came with 40's but every late model V8 Explorer and Mountaineers had the P's so they are easier to find.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2017 at 10:24pm
Here is a flow chart from a Mustang site

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 12:48pm
I put P's on my '95 GT-40 motor because I had a crack in the original head, mostly because of cost and availability.
Can't really say if I got any more performance because I also changed the cam at the same time.
I can say that the combo netted me some nice performance gains, mostly hole shot and mid range performance. Can't seem to get it over the 50mph mark.
All that being said I wouldn't change heads unless you needed to, if your going to upgrade other parts for more HP there's much better power to be made from other heads for a few dollars more. JMO
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 5:06pm
Remember performance is limited by the exhaust. The Marine exhaust may be the limiting factor for higher RPM.
I think there are notes on this in this forum to look up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 6:56pm
I'm not sure how much merit that argument has, the PCM pyramids look a lot like shorty headers internally (there are cross section pics from Alan if you do a search). Only a few folks have built engines that want to spin more than 5200 or so for peak power, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. Even with stock exhaust.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 9:59pm
If you are going to turn up over 5000 I would highly recommend ARP rod bolts,   The stock ones are okay but most Mustang sites recommend not going over 4800 rpms. ARP makes some awesome bolts that can take a beating and stay together. But they are not cheap. You can look at there web site for all the technical details.,

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic