Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2011 200v won't start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brew0001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brew0001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2011 200v won't start
    Posted: August-28-2017 at 3:23am
Boat started fine the prior time out, a week earlier.   This week, it doesn't even try to crank, . Tried jump start, nothing, put battery on a charger, it was at 95%. All other electrical working fine. boat is in neutral, lanyard on kill switch is in place, checked fuse breakers under the dash, & fuses in the motor compartment all look fine. Also checked ignition fuse switch fuses in the motor compartment (not sure if that is the right term for them?) by replacing both one at a time & then both together. - nothing! When we attempt to start it, the starter isn't even trying to crank, but there is the sound for a few seconds of i think a small electric motor whining like it is starting up, like it is supposed to then engage the starter?               any ideas?    anything i am not checking before taking it to the dealership?
Brew
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 4:58pm
could be as simple as a starter problem.   You need to get out a multimeter and check to see if your getting power at the starter, and if the starter receives power when you turn the key.    Could be as simple as a solenoid that has gone bad, or could be that the starter has cooked itself.   The breakers in the engine compartment also can go bad, so you need to check that you have power both in and out of them.   If this is over your mechanical ability, then a mechanic might be the right choice, if not, then we can walk you through each step.
welcome aboard!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 5:20pm
I almost want to say tap the starter with something, lol.

Betting the noises you are hearing are a perfect pass actuator and/or your fuel pumps. Before you do anything I would clean and tighten your wires/terminals at the battery & starter.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 5:58pm
Yea, we flooded our boat (forgot the plug) a couple weeks ago. When I went to start it after a week of fans and drying out it did nothing.

Well, it clicked once, but that was it. Was sure the starter rusted up/locked up. Checked the battery and coincidentally, I guess, the negative side was loosey goosey. Tightened it up and she fired right up.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2017 at 6:23pm
I'm just going to throw this out there because I really haven't much experience with direct drives or CC as yet. Water inversion? Have you pulled a spark plug? Perhaps not a concern with CC's, but I had a very similar incident many years ago with my big I/O - symptoms were nearly identical.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Brew0001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brew0001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2017 at 9:36pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, some i had done, tried the others, took it to the dealership & apparently, the starter failed. Seems strange that it would go so abruptly, perfectly fine one day & nothing the next. Supposed to pick it up Fri for Labor Day weekend, thank God!
Brew
Brew
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 5:17pm
And Quinner is the winner. Tap on the side of the starter :)

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Brew0001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brew0001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 11:36am
Yeah, i should have taken the handle to a screw driver to it! Picked up my boat from Silver Spray Sports in MI Fri , New starter & working good. Weird that it would go out that sudden. Getting ready to hit the lake for Labor Day weekend.....
Thanks again for the suggestions, nice to have this forum. Wishing you all a Safe & Happy
Labor Day Holiday weekend on your favorite water!       Brew
Brew
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 11:53am
All that and not a single picture of the boat... Come on, you know we all love pictures!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 11:56am
You would have needed to replace it anyway. But, my Dad was a mechanic. Saw him get many cars running (particularly trucks and vans) by wrapping on the starter. It' all good. BKH
Livin' the Dream

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 5:54pm
By all means lets see pictures.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Brew0001 Brew0001 wrote:

Yeah, i should have taken the handle to a screw driver to it! Picked up my boat from Silver Spray Sports in MI Fri , New starter & working good. Weird that it would go out that sudden.       Brew

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

You would have needed to replace it anyway.

I have a feeling all the starter needed was a commutator clean up and not a replacement.
Originally posted by Brew0001 Brew0001 wrote:

took it to the dealership & apparently, the starter failed.
Brew

Did they give you any details like how they "tested" it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 7:01pm
And another motion to see pics of your craft.   In fact, I'm not even sure what we're talking about.... don't think you ever mentioned exactly what your boat is.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

In fact, I'm not even sure what we're talking about.... don't think you ever mentioned exactly what your boat is.

The title of this thread:
"2011 200v won't start" Don't worry, I do the same all the time too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 8:42pm
Probably right Pete. But, probably only like you and three other people in America take apart a starter anymore.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 9:02pm

Probably right Pete. But, probably only like you and three other people in America take apart a starter anymore. BKH

Brian,
I'd say you're close to correct too! But, I'd say four other people since I'd include Ken!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2017 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Probably right Pete. But, probably only like you and three other people in America take apart a starter anymore. BKH

Brian,
I'd say you're close to correct too! But, I'd say four other people since I'd include Ken!

Yea but Ken takes apart a good one just to show us how!!!!
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Brew0001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brew0001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:32pm
/Users/williambrewbaker/Desktop/IMG_4174.jpg
/Users/williambrewbaker/Desktop/IMG_0288.jpg
/Users/williambrewbaker/Desktop/IMG_5429.jpg
/Users/williambrewbaker/Desktop/IMG_5441.jpg
Brew
Brew0001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brew0001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:39pm
sorry folks, trying to add some pics of our boat.....

hope these come thru, time to head to the lake!
Brew
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 2:30pm
Great Looking boat and lake. St Johns? We used to have an engine bearing plant in St Johns and I have actually been there.   ( not nearly so pretty in the Winter! )
That was in the mid 1990's.
Since the starter went swimming it probably developed a little rust in a bad spot.
The whack with a ball pen hammer most likely would have got it working again and since it was a one time submersion it might have continued to live a long life.
We used to run Jet boats with the starters way down at the bottom of the bilge and that happened to us many times and the hammer trick would get it going most times.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 4:20pm
Sharp, Sharp, Sharp - gotta love the formality of Black and White. Very Nice!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 9:41pm
Nothing beats a good hammer    I used to watch our work mechanic get a bad in tank fuel pump going by using a hammer. 2002ish we got a batch of new Chevy vans. Within a year every one had the fuel pump go bad. He started at 4pm,any truck towed in during the day was dropped in the lot. Working by himself he could not push them in so he'd grab one of us as we came in at 430,had us try to start it as he hit the tank. Worked every time.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Brew0001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brew0001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 11:10pm
Thanks for the kind words! it is a nice lake, (damed up river) 3 miles long, high banks...
it was a very windy day today, but we still found some glass! putting a hammer in the boat tool bag. Hope you all had a nice Labor day weekend!
Brew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic