Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT 40 Which Distributor Gear?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT 40 Which Distributor Gear?
    Posted: September-22-2017 at 7:02pm
I want to replace the distributor on 2002 Ski Nautique GT40. It is corroded inside and the PIP is not staying fixed in place. I tried gluing the pip in place and my engine missing got worse so I removed the glue.

The current Motorcraft Distributor has a casting mark E9TE-12131-KA. Does this distributor have a cast or steel gear?

EDIT 9/28/17 , After pulling out the distributor I see a decal with a different serial number. E9TE-12127-CA is marked on the sticker. The removed dizzy is definitely cast iron

Edit" A car forum said that flat tappet motors use cast iron gears. The GT 40 is flat tappet engine. The car forum said roller cam engines get the steel gear dizzys".

Any tips on replacing the distributor? NAPA can order a reman one.

Thanks

Jay

2007 Ski
2002 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 9:02pm
Here's a picture, cast iron on the left, steel on the right

Cast iron is rough looking, steel smooth and machined looking

You can compare your 2 gears and swap if necessary There are other ways to distinguish between the two, just google it

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2017 at 9:43pm
As far as swapping distributors, there are numerous different ways that people do it, I'd suggest you google that too and decide which way works for you, because if one person writes something you'll get 3 others with a different way and things will get confusing for you
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 1:12am
Your problem comes up in the fact that 351/5.8 Ford came in flat lifter or in 94-97 roller. What distributor is the one for sale,do they ask for the year of the engine? Worse case you buy the distributor and put your gear on if you have to.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 1:44am

Parts house was clueless for GT40. I asked Ford F-150 351 1995 distributor. I'll pull the old dizzy and compare the existing gear to Keno's pix for confirmation.

Bought this
Dizzy edited
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 2:28am
Other than gt40 gt40p parts I don't think Ford used that term except for marine engines. Your link didn't work for me.
Every replacement on Rock Auto say's they have the cast gear....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 11:35am
Thanks Gary. I edited my link.

Rock Auto carries the same one I bought. Rock's is much cheaper.
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 12:11pm
When you install make sure to open the cap and plug the vent, that's the only difference between auto and marine.
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 3:29pm
Thanks gun-driver. I'll use my current PCM cap on the new dizzy and I'll plug the auto one as advised for future use.

I believe I found the SPOUT connector and read that it should be unplugged while setting the base timing to 5 degrees.

Do you add lubricant to the new distributor gear just prior to installation?
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by JayG80 JayG80 wrote:

Thanks gun-driver. I'll use my current PCM cap on the new dizzy and I'll plug the auto one as advised for future use.

I believe I found the SPOUT connector and read that it should be unplugged while setting the base timing to 5 degrees.

Do you add lubricant to the new distributor gear just prior to installation?

Since the gear is new, some assemby grease sure wouldn't hurt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 4:14pm
5 degrees with the spout disconnected is right

Do you have a PCM GT-40 manual?

If you don't and you click on the link below, then you will have one, courtesy of the CCF reference section

GT-40 manual
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 6:52pm
Always thought the gear material should match the cam material. Cast-iron to cast-iron, steel to steel. When in doubt, use a bronze gear.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2017 at 9:10pm
Should be 5° BTDC spout disconnected @ 2000 RPM
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Your problem comes up in the fact that 351/5.8 Ford came in flat lifter or in 94-97 roller. What distributor is the one for sale,do they ask for the year of the engine? Worse case you buy the distributor and put your gear on if you have to.

I know this is an old thread but I came across this tonight. Gary…I’ve never heard that the GT40 came in both flat tappet and roller depending on year. I thought all PCM GT40’s were flat tappet and required cast iron gear and high zinc oil (or zinc additive) for the flat. Am I mistaken? Or are you referring to the 5.8 automotive engines came in different varieties?
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 11:06pm
Technically Ford called that engine a 351W marine gasoline engine electronic fuel injection Matt, PCM called it the GT40. Ford built those engines using the same block for both but while their own vehicles they used roller cams they used flat tappet for marine use. Don't know why.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2023 at 9:27am
Ahh! great thread for blue oval gear heads...
My thoughts on bronze dizzy gears, only if the cam shaft can support them. the "industrial" 351-w was not engineered to utilize bronze gears and a performance engineered camshaft is recommended when doing so.

I should do a video on how to get an honest extra 5 hp out of early gt-40 95-97,,,, with only a 7/16" socket and and a clamp!!

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mosinee77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosinee77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2023 at 11:36am
Really, the only time a bronze gear is needed is when you have a billet steel performance camshaft. Many aftermarket full roller performance cams are steel billet, normally the factory roller cams, while they may be steel,  will need a normal Melonized cast gear as they are not a full billet steel camshaft.

Bronze gears require frequent inspection and replacement as they are considered as a "wear item" in a performance engine.

Look for a standard gear for factory flat tappet and full roller stock applications. If the gear is noted as Melonized you are good to go on both.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2023 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Ahh! great thread for blue oval gear heads...
My thoughts on bronze dizzy gears, only if the cam shaft can support them. the "industrial" 351-w was not engineered to utilize bronze gears and a performance engineered camshaft is recommended when doing so.

I should do a video on how to get an honest extra 5 hp out of early gt-40 95-97,,,, with only a 7/16" socket and and a clamp!!

Since you said it, I guess you should do it. or put it into words and pictures Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic