NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping your Protec EFI with a DUI system

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 4:52pm
I used to work for an electronics supplier and we provided total support for anything we ever made as a matter of good faith. Low volume companies like PCM should be totally responsive for their legacy product, particularly since the Pro Boss system is failing and they don’t have the means to supply out of production components.

Perhaps where there’s a will there’s a way is all we have to go on!
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 4:55pm
Way to go getting it running.

To post a picture, hit the post reply button and a new window pops up. Use the button at the tops of the page with a tree and an arrow. Navigate to your picture on your computer and select it. It will upload to the site and insert a link. You can use the Preview button to see what it will look like.

Before you upload you might need to lower the resolution so it is under the file size limit.

From a smartphone or tablet, you have to use a photo sharing site and I haven’t messed with those.
'92 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 5:01pm
Before the party starts............make sure it runs under load on the water.

Then the celebration can begin   
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Mikewolf Mikewolf wrote:

I tried 10k and 5k and also 8.2 and 4.7 ohm

With the 10k and 5k, there was no signal getting to the ecu. With the 8.2 and 4.7 ohm, the ecu was getting signal, but the distributor was being grounded out.

It sounds like the tach wire has a limit as to how much current it can source (this could vary under load) and the EFI module has a minimum current requirement. Depending on what those numbers are you may not have much margin. Given what you have found out the ideal situation would be to use the tach wire to drive a circuit that connects to the EFI module (just like the Protec unit did) so they are isolated from each other and wouldn't limit current.   You may have been able to use the old Protec unit to supply the signal. Just connect power/ground/tach wire and the EFI module wire.

Hopefully it runs well as is.   Good job to all!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 5:46pm
Congratulations on proving it could be done. It's sad that the "parent" company could care less about supporting their Protec system. Now if they could only figure out how to stop prop shafts from breaking!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 6:07pm
I just tested it out. Ran an indicated 48 mph. With the failing protec ignition I couldn’t get it above 35 mph. Thanks everyone for all the help and info posted. Need to go out for a ski now.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 6:27pm

I just tested it out. Ran an indicated 48 mph. With the failing protec ignition I couldn’t get it above 35 mph. Thanks everyone for all the help and info posted. Need to go out for a ski now.

Well, let's get this party started

Good job
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 6:47pm

Sweet!! Big thanks to @Dreaming and @malcolm2 for providing old Pro-Tec parts for me to bench test. Really excited we were able to figure this out!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 8:23pm
The magical powers of the inter web net thingy never cease to amaze me. This thread was so far above me and my skills but sure was a great follow. Good work and happy skiing.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2018 at 8:33am
So................does this thread ever get a good finish like a writeup,of just what was done, and a diagram for somebody to follow if they're trying to do the same thing?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So................does this thread ever get a good finish like a writeup,of just what was done, and a diagram for somebody to follow if they're trying to do the same thing?

So will the good finish ever happen so that the next guy that wants to do this has something useful to work with?
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 12:01am
I will happily send someone a picture of my wiring diagram to post, but I don’t have a computer to post it myself.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 1:04pm
deleted
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2018 at 10:38pm
I emailed you my wiring diagram. It’s the green/ purple wire on the ecu you connect to.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 5:38pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 5:49pm

So will the good finish ever happen so that the next guy that wants to do this has something useful to work with?

Thanks, now we have the good finish

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 8:00pm
Glad it is working.

I am wondering if there is any shift in FI timing, using the DUI pulse as opposed to the OEM signal.

If there is, apparently it doesn't affect performance.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 10:51am
With a throttle body injection, the timing of the fuel injectors is based on the amount of air coming in and not based on the ignition.

The Dui unit has a mechanical advance for ignition timing. So everything is good.

Also as an update, I’ve put 30 hours (probably 25 of them pulling skier, boarders, and tubes) on the boat since I put in the Dui unit and it’s still working well. I appreciate the help from everyone here.
Mikewolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2019 at 10:28pm
One more update. It’s been more than a year and the ignition and injection are still working well. Definitely recommend this for anyone who’s ignition is failing.
darylforman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylforman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2023 at 10:52pm
Does anyone have the wiring diagram or pics?  I have a 94 Ski Nautique with the Protec EFI.  This sounds like a good option for my boat!

Daryl
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2023 at 9:32am
I think I have the drawing that Mike sent me somewhere.  I'll look for it.  It's basically just a voltage divider between the DUI tach output and the EFI input.  It reduces the new signal level down to the level of the old signal.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2023 at 11:36am
I can't find the diagram but these are the statements that Mike posted:

I’m using a 680 ohm and a 330 ohm in a voltage dividing circuit. 680 between the tach and ecu and 330 between the ecu and ground. 

It’s the green/ purple wire on the ecu you connect to.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2023 at 11:40am
So just connect two resistors together, a 680 and 330.  The 680 open end goes to the DUI tach output.  The 330 open end goes to ground.  Connect a wire to the point between the two resistors and connect it to the ecu green/purple wire.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2023 at 1:06pm
Here's the non artist's rendition of Mikewolfs non artist's rendition that disappeared. Wink

I scribbled it down back when the thread was new,

It matches desertskiers description.

Any other info is in the thread.

No pictures of the process or description of what components like the proTec module and associated wiring were removed.

darylforman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylforman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2023 at 11:52pm
Thank you KENO for the pic you posted.  Between that and the info from desertskier I now understand how Mikewolf made it work.  I will give it a try and report back when I have some results.  
Daryl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic