NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 72 Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 10>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2023 at 5:57pm
OK...............somebody has to ask why that rope guard is so tall Wink

O

Here's one on a 72 SN.  More curve, less height

72 brochure

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2023 at 5:07pm
Jesse was able to pick up the seats today. See pics below. The white tabs on the rear cushion will be orange vinyl in a few weeks.

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2023 at 1:33pm
No can pile this time around...wasn't a compressed time frame like last time.  Heard from our engine guy this morning and he is talking 2-3 weeks.  So fingers crossed.  We would then have to paint some ancillary parts and put it all back together and wire it.  Sooooo...plenty left to do
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2023 at 8:46am
I'm going to have to take the time and review this thread from the beginning, you guys do great work.  That gel work looks amazing and the flooring is classic.  This is going to be a great looking boat when done. 
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2023 at 6:24am
Looking good fellas.  How is he comparison of empty Bud heavy's compared to the Tique rebuild measuring up?

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2023 at 8:17pm
Got the gas tank installed along with some T-trim. Also mounted the throttle. The upholstery is ready and unfortunately we didnt get to pick it up. Hoping to hear the engine is done soon. We will see. Next up, probably start wiring.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2023 at 11:36am
Another item we are looking for...there is a plastic shoulder washer on our morse control.  These are wear parts and were not used in later style controls.  The later style has the brass pivots in the metal arm hole.  This style has the shoulder washer between the pivot and the arm.  With Ron's help at SkiBoatPartsOnline, I found them at McMaster http://www.mcmaster.com/products/shoulder-washers/.  Will probably order them (100pk).  Anyone have some?  Or does anyone need any?  

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2023 at 9:40am
Thanks Ken...I'll look for an anti siphon barbed fitting...see that Skidim has it for our next order if I can't find locally.  And just to confirm, since these fittings are NPT, NO yellow tape is needed, correct?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2023 at 9:11am
You would just screw the anti siphon valve into the 90 degree fitting.

The anti siphon valve is barbed and has the spring loaded ball check inside of it

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2023 at 8:12pm
Spent the weekend at farm/lake. Got the rubrail done, steering installed, throttle on (the lever was in my truck in need of a set screw). Also bent a rope minder out of a 3’ half round stick. Not perfect but a decent first try. May try again. Think 2.5’ would be better as it would be a little shorter. Also got new step pads from jet on eBay. They are awesome. Have the old ones that are in decent shape if anyone wants to make an offer.

Tried to get the wiring started but the 10’ wire harness we bought from skidim seems short. I remember it being tight on the Tique but it seemed even shorter this time. Thoughts?  EDIT: It is short.  Last time we used a 16' harness from Ebasic Power.  Ordered one and will do elec soon.

Another question. Can’t see the tique gas tank right now. What fittings should be on fuel tank to connect fuel line? Right angle>>check valve>>barbed fitting??? Thanks.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2023 at 6:07am
David when I replaced Kermits rubrail I followed the above with the exception of NOT having a screw in the center of the bow I started on the stern first since its a double bend meaning you have two corners to bend around. You damn sure don't want the end/start of a new piece on a corner or just after a corner, If I had to do it again I'd use some 3/16 rope or paracord and tape it in place all the way around where your rubrail is gonna go Pick a starting point and mark the rope with a sharpie every 12'  ( I think a stick is 12 feet long) and that will tell where the seams are gonna land. On the last shortest piece don't measure and cut it before you install it. I did that and when I installed it I ended up about 3/16" short leaving a gap. CensoredCensored. Looking great! Gotta start working on a name for it if you haven't aready. "Tangerine Dream!"

And as far as the driver goes.... I did manage to talk to him this past weekend. No surprise but he is still on the go. Daytona for the race, Working on his tan in the islands Mon'. He'll be at the Ruckus so I'll see him that copilot with him so I'll get in person confirmation that he still exists. Word has it that CQ may end up at the Ruckus too but he's harder to get  hold of than Pinky.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:32pm
It doesn’t seem quite believable but every time I talk to him lately he is on the road to a job site doing work for Quinner - it doesn’t make no damn sense and yet it’s true
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Who is that driving your boat Wink...haven't seen that guy in a bit.  

No kidding.  He can be pretty elusive.  I even stopped in at his shop (work, not BBC) one day when I was in Mooresville on business (well monkey business, picking up a seat at the upholstery shop).  His person up front said he wasnt there, was out "on a job site" (wink wink nudge nudge)
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Who is that driving your boat Wink...haven't seen that guy in a bit.  

No kidding.  He can be pretty elusive.  I even stopped in at his shop (work, not BBC) one day when I was in Mooresville on business (well monkey business, picking up a seat at the upholstery shop).  His person up front said he wasnt there, was out "on a job site" (wink wink nudge nudge)
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:26pm
I can assist with some Bud heavy’s at the launch
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 8:45pm
And I might add leave the Coors Light and CQ at home too LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 7:19pm
I would grind a line through the gel above where the screws go and below the top of the rub rail as is the current production method of preventing straw cracks making their way from the new screw holes up onto the deck.   Rubber hammers, wood forms, and patience. Reid has probably done it more replacements than anyone at this point take it over to the bbc on a work night and have him supervise
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 4:21pm
Like the 2x4 tip.

Gary.  I see your screw in the very front.  So it can be done.  I have a set of those drill bits, good advice.  We will put in screws as we go.  Who is that driving your boat Wink...haven't seen that guy in a bit.  

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 2:25pm

When I did mine I used the exact same holes that I could that were already in the boat. I started and ended in the same spots that Correct Craft did. This is about the best picture I have. You can see a screw directly in the front. Tapping with a rubber and plastic hammers help but don't skip a screw when trying to bend your curve ie place screw in rail,attach then bend. The actual hardest part is across the stern you have to bend the rail horizontally across the back. Get yourself a hinge drill bit- it centers the drill bit in the center of the countersunk pre drilled hole in the rail making the screw sit flush when done.  2 person job take your time 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 1:52pm
Not an expert, never have done it, but I remember JoeinNY saying he bent rub rail around the bends by pushing a 2 x 4 around it to push it against the hull.....if that helps at all.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 1:39pm
This is the place I like to share as it is the place I learned and I like the thread style...I can't even figure out how to find a post on FB after I refresh the screen.  I need a lesson.  

I filled the existing rubrail holes with thickened epoxy (cabosil).  Used a ziploc bag with the corner cut off to fill (like a cake icing bag).  Wish us luck as we plan to put it on this weekend.  It will look so much better.  Any tips or tricks for bending rubrail?  We have a plan but if anyone has tips from bad experiences we would love to avoid mistakes!!!  Any tips as to where to put joints?  I have read not to have screw hole on the bow/nose as the hole can deform so we are going to try to position a screw just off the nose.  

As for when the boat will be ready...depends on the engine and upholstery (those two are out of our control).  Tough to go without engine.  Upholstery is optional...5 gal buckets/lawnchairs and we are some motorboating SOBs.  We are getting there with everything else...would think Apr/May.  Fingers crossed!  
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 1:17pm
You guys do great work.  Looking forward to seeing it this spring?  Summer? on Badin.  Also pleased that you are sharing your progress (complete with photos!!!) here vs the website that shall not be named.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 12:03pm
Looking good!  What are you using to fill the rubrail holes?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 1:43pm
Boring update but worked quite a bit this weekend:

-airguide tubing
-rear floor hatch  
-vent tubing and blower
-filling rubrail holes (this boat had a lot of them!)

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 10:59pm
Wow David!  Looking Great.  Thumbs Up
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2023 at 9:49am
And a little more gets done in the evenings:

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2023 at 11:50am
More work done. Got the flooring glued in. Still need to add t trim to the batt box cover and rear floor. And starting to put some parts and pieces back on. Next time we work will be the windshield and gauges. Boat will get all fresh wiring and fuse panels. Engine is at shop and we hear progress is being made. Valves and springs were shot so they are being replaced and new rings. Upholstery went to the shop last week as well.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 9:32am
Our floor will be a slight mod from original. We really liked our design we did in the tique and copied it. Ply floor with glass over. The entire floor is smooth and will have one sheet of Nautolex. The rear floor will still pull out with T trim like original.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 11:47pm
I’m guessing Tim’s engine was too pretty to run right and had to come back apart. all the best looking one’s always do… I wasn’t trying to mess up the orange skier thread too much - but can report no twin turbos running around my parts - some new CorrectCrafts some CorrectCraft setbacks but I’ll try to play with Imgur once the boats come out the barn
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2023 at 6:03pm
Damn Tim, that's a sweet engine.

Interesting location for the pitot equalization tube at the rear of the engine.  I also want to know a bit more about the blue GT-500 in the background.  The color seems to match the engine pretty well.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic