Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stalling out and loading up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Maxdog154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxdog154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stalling out and loading up
    Posted: August-01-2018 at 1:06am
Hello and new to the forum. I have a 1988 Martinique with a 351 which I bought during the winter. Have had a lot of problems getting it sorted out. When running at wide open it will start to stall out and sputter.I back off on the throttle and it will start running again and will stay constant at 3/4 throttle. Had the fuel tank out and checked it out and it was clean.looked at the one way check valve and it looked okay. The boat shows 570hrs and the motor looks like it or it’s been changed. It has 125lbs compression in each cylinder . It also looks like it has a new carb but it is loading up bad as there is black soot and gas smoke when idling .
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 10:40am
Yeah you have carb issues, power valve, or boogared float valves or idle fuel orifices.
but thats not why its failing at wot

You describe a fuel flow issue and although you had the antisiphon valve out once so far...

I suggest take the fuel pickup back out and disassemble the dip tube from the elbow, and see if they snuck a conical screen filter into the dip tube. that likes to clog first and show itself in high flow conditions first..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 11:00am
I would check the filter at the carb inlet (if so equipped) first, as opposed to pulling the tank/pickup. Have seen that cause the bowl to run dry at wot, and like tom said you’ve got some boogered up passages in there too... I’d be looking for fine sediment throughout.
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 11:14am
I had a similar issue and thought it was the anti-siphon valve. I replaced it and the issue went away for a bit but the problem came back yesterday. Turns out the gasket between the vacuum secondary housing and the carb had disintegrated for some reason and was clogging the hole, causing the secondary throttle plates not to open. Just posted about it here this morning.
Andrew
Builder
Maxdog154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxdog154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 5:12am
Quit stalling out by changing power valve, all fuel lines and reset timing to 10 degrees. Talked to a tech at Holley and he told me to check vacuum at idle which was 16. He said put a power valve in 1/2 what the vacuum is but I could only find a 6.5 locally. Took out a 2.5 which the 4160 Holley marine carb came with But still will not run above 3300rpms but does not stall out of fuel at WOT. ( So any ideas why it will not run above 3300 )
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Maxdog154 Maxdog154 wrote:

But still will not run above 3300rpms but does not stall out of fuel at WOT. ( So any ideas why it will not run above 3300 )

Bob,
What prop is on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:38am
Have you verified secondaries are opening?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Maxdog154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxdog154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 2:38pm
13-13 prop which I put on last night but would not turn up with a 13-12 which I went from. It just seems like it’s lacking on power because it will not turn up. Someone put a lot of new parts on this boat like carb ,starter,alt,and the motor still has the paint on heads like the motor could have been changed. It runs smooth but will not turn up. The boat shows 570hrs and I bought it from a estate auction and had to put a floor in it over the winter so it’s had bugs which I am pulling my hair out . The boat is in great shape now but a lot of time has been spent on it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic