Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need a shorter spark arrestor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a shorter spark arrestor
    Posted: June-04-2004 at 2:19am
I finally got around to putting the motor cover on the boat, and low and behold it doesn't clear the spark arrestor. There's about a 1" gap between the cover and the floor up by the pylon.

I rebuilt the engine with an Edelbrock Performer intake, I knew it was a little taller than stock but others said it should fit fine.

My spark arrestor measures 3" tall and 5.75" in diameter. I see skidim sells one that is 2.5"x7". That may provide just enough clearance, but it'd be nice to get another .25-.5" just to be sure. Anyone know where you can get spark arrestors of different sizes?

Another option I thought of was to eliminate the 1" spacer under the carb where the PCV valve plumbs into. I could plumb the PCV into one of the pipe plugs in the intake manifold. Since the pipe plugs are further down the manifold I'm concerned that most of the blowby gases from the PCV valve would end up in 1 or 2 cylinders and would cause them to run lean. Any thoughts?

Thanks
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 3:52pm
Have you seen any of the older style, low profile arrestors that I know were used on old Chryslers. I'm not sure of the overall height above the carb including the neck, but the air intake band portion is only about an inch thick, and they are nice stainless. That's not what you already have, is it. I can't remember what engine you were running. But if it turns out you could use one of these, I can hook you up.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

cisom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 6:19pm
I put a performer intake on my 351W and had the same issue. Glen-l sells a low profile arrestor. 1.5" tall.

http://www.glen-l.com/

danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 6:04pm
awhite check with summit racing, they have a k&n filter/spark arrestor that is 2" tall about
$80, I am thinking about buying one for mine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic