NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

general question about engine parts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: general question about engine parts
    Posted: June-20-2019 at 12:27pm
Hello, first let me say this is a great resource.
This is a question that I think I know the answer to but...
I have recently picked up a 78 Southwind 18 for a rebuild project. (I wanted a Mustang but found the SW close and right price). The SW has the 350 OMC motor.
My question- Can I use Mercruiser (GM) parts on the OMC?
Things such as coil, Distributor etc.
I think yes but I am ignorant in this area.

little info on the SW...
got it for 300.00
previous owner bought it back from the guy he sold it to in 87 for sentimental reasons then decided he didn't have time.
PO though motor was blown, No oil on dipstick so I poured some in, put a battery in her and motor cranked, just wouldn't fire then I noticed pretty sever oil leak....turns out there was no oil filter..
Hull is in great shape, no real issues other than age and a poor attempt at buffing that skinned the SW logo.
The interior is in great shape except the tomato red and the original AM/FM cassette with built in 5 channel EQ..
After pulling the seats out I have deck rot which probably means stringers as well...this was expected due to the age.
the plan is to salvage/rebuild the existing motor myself and pay to have a pro tackle the flooring...I am thinking about tackling the stringers myself but I am not that handy and I lack patience. From reading the forums, both are important to tackling stringers.
Rough budget for everything is 4k. That hopefully gives me a great running classic boat with minimal costs. From their I will either keep it or find my mid 70's Mustang...
Appreciate the help and this is a great forum, tons of good info....

Brett
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 1:07pm
Brett,
Are you trying to scavenge parts off a Merc? Before you just start replacing parts, see if you can determine the problem. The first thing I'd recommend is to clean the contact faces of the point set. Over time they can form an oxide film that prevents them from grounding the coil. Disconnect the - wire off the coil, rotate the engine until the points are closed and then check continuity across the points. It should be close to zero resistance. If not, run some fine abrasive paper through the faces and repeat the test.

BTW, you may get a better response if you post in the engine repair section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 1:42pm
Brett, having run an old GM/OMC for 14 years, parts should be no problem.

Depending on what route you go for distributor, points or electronic, I think any marine, small block chevy distributor would work. I had to shop one a few years ago and got a mallory marine (now sierra) points distributor. I wouldnt do that again, as it gave me problems, I would go electronic. I ended up putting a mallory espark module in mine and it was fine after that. No need to worry about reverse rotation with the SBC because the cam is gear driven, not chain driven, so it turns the "normal" direction any way. Coil also pretty generic, only a function of type of distributor, as some want internal ballast, others want external ballast.   Mallory 29219 has internal, Mallory 29216 needs an external resistor. My boat had a prestolite (dont have number handy, but can get it) on it forever, which I finally replaced with the same.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 2:07pm
Sorry- first post FAIL...
I am talking about replacing with new parts.
I was assuming (I Know) that GM parts would be more readily available.
My thought is that an old motor which has not ran in at least 4 years would probably need these type items replaced eventually. Figured may want to do them now.
BTW- the motor only has 770 hours.

Thanks
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 2:09pm
Thanks, I appreciate all the info...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Brett Brett wrote:

PO though motor was blown,
Brett

Originally posted by Brett Brett wrote:

My thought is that an old motor which has not ran in at least 4 years would probably need these type items replaced eventually. Figured may want to do them now.
BTW- the motor only has 770 hours.
Thanks

Brett,
I suggest trying to get the engine running before you start replacing parts that may not be needed. There are plenty of engines out there with way more time on them, are older and still running great. My 65 year old 1954 still runs great. My 55 year old 1964 still runs great. My 42 year old 1977 still runs great. Also, they still have the original distributors and coils!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic