Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Rugs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wromer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wromer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rugs
    Posted: July-25-2019 at 8:30pm
I have a question on the installation of new rugs, My 1996 SN is ready for a new interior.
The shop said they were going to lift the motor to install the new run under the aluminum frame that bolts to the stringers. I'm not sure if that would cause an alinement problem after they bolt it all back together.
Just wondering if anyone had new rugs installed that could shed light on the correct process.

All gave some......Some gave all
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2019 at 2:11pm
I never pulled the motor to replace the carpet.
woodyelc
wromer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wromer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 10:49am
Woodyelk,
When you did your rugs how did you deal with the carpet that was originally installed under the motor frame.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 3:07pm
Razor knife no need to put carpet under the frame.
woodyelc
wromer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wromer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 6:14pm
My concern is leaving the open end of the new carpet subject to the heat, moisture, etc, in the engine compartment. Did you use a slip-channel to slide the new carpet into? I think that might work.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 6:23pm
William,
I feel you are "over thinking" the cut carpet edge. There's lots of carpet out there with cut edges under the doghouse with no ill effects.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 12:22am
Well William, I installed my new carpet under the engine mount frame.   Of course, I was in the process of refurbishing the entire boat and had pulled the engine anyway. But if I wasn't going to be installing a new engine I likely wouldn't have gone to that much trouble, though I think every case is a bit different. Lifting the engine - even just enough to slide new carpet under the frame would require you to unbolt not only the frame from the stringers, but the shaft coupler from the engine. In my opinion with only a max of .003" tolerance there would be no way you're going to get that all bolted up again within tolerance without realigning the engine and shaft. Quite a bit of headache just to alleviate that cut edge.   If you are worried about water or rot, etc, do what I did around the cooler and battery compartments. I caulked all the seams down with white Flexseal. Worked great, dried fast and creates a watertight seal.

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
wromer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wromer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2019 at 1:18pm
Thanks for the replys, I was thinking it wasn't a good idea to move the
motor to do the carpet, Flex seal who knew ;-)   I was thinking a slip channel screwed
to the deck with the carpet slid into it might do the trick, maybe some sealant in the channel.

William

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by wromer wromer wrote:

Thanks for the replys, I was thinking it wasn't a good idea to move the
motor to do the carpet, Flex seal who knew ;-)   I was thinking a slip channel screwed
to the deck with the carpet slid into it might do the trick, maybe some sealant in the channel.

William

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

William,
I feel you are "over thinking" the cut carpet edge. There's lots of carpet out there with cut edges under the doghouse with no ill effects.

EDIT quote:
There are cut edges everywhere besides under the dog house.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic