NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1956 Collegian restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Is it out of the question to split the hatch? How’s the Hurricane configured?

That does look like a heavy beast.

How about some old window weights and pulleys? More period correct?

I like the window weights the best, LOL

I think splitting the hatch would go too far away from the original look. I was thinking of adding some sort of cantilever hinge to the existing hatch with the cantilever being hidden under the deck and attaching some shocks to that.   Somewhat out of sight. Lot's of time to think about it yet.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2020 at 12:41pm
This collegian restoration is fantastic to see   Thanks for sharing
I have always like the cool look of the split hatch on the 33’ Chris craft barrel backs with 12 cylinders, Lake Tahoe. Seems a legitimate design que from the past
Keep showing us pics and progress, awesome stuff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 11:22am
Got a days work done Saturday, This transom looks simple but it is kicking my butt. It has a slight compound curve because it leans in at the top. Getting this all to line up before final fastening took hours. By the time I got it all glued up I was covered in 5200, The stuff is fantastic but after 10 years of working with it I just can not avoid making an absolute mess! I start with nice clean gloves and long sleeves and about an hour later I'm covered in the stuff to my elbows and the gloves come off because I can't pick anything up and everything I touch makes it worse LOL. It's probably pretty entertaining to watch.

I really wanted to try and do an epoxy glue up but I think that would have been even worse working vertically. When I glued up the transom frame pieces a few weeks ago I ended up breaking out in a pretty substantial rash on my arms so I think I've finally acquired an allergic reaction to epoxy, From what I understand that is a slow process and becomes worse with your exposure to it so I'm trying to avoid using epoxy now whenever possible. I'm going to be exposed to a lot of it on the next boat so I hope this is something I can learn to work around.

In any case I'm happy with the results but I'm on my third boat and I realize I still have a lot to learn.

Next weekend I hope to get the transom frame ends shaped in and add a few more pieces that are needed to support the top deck, then I'll move on to the hatch frames. I plan to pull all that out and replace it with new.

My wife has a healthy obsession with Halloween and the props never get put away.    This guy "Bones" ends up doing something different everyday. Keeps us laughing. He wasn't much help but he did manage to stay cleaner than me!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 2:44pm
Alan - you set the bar pretty high on these projects!

Too bad they didn't make them this good at the factory.

One trick I use when working with goo is to put on more than 1 layer of gloves, sometimes even 3 layers. Then when you have to pick up a tool you can peel a layer off & have a clean one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:19am
Hey Magic,
Project is coming along nicely. Just make sure you protect yourself from that nasty stuff.. We don't need you looking like Bone's there !!!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:49am
Looking good Alan. Try using Hydrocortisone Cream on your arms or anywhere else that's sensitive to the Epoxy. After working with Epon 9396 aerospace resin for 15 years I developed a bad allergic reaction to it. It's gotten so bad I stay away from the stuff at all costs and avoid any parts that require using it to fix them. I do have some great co-workers that warn me when they're using it so I stay away from them. Apply it before you use it to those areas that are breaking out and it may help. You aren't allergic to latex are you? Some guys here are and have to use Nitril gloves when mixing stuff. I don't care how careful you are.... you gonna get it on you!
As far as the 5200 getting everywhere. That's just part of the job. I've ruined countless uniform shirts getting sealer or RTV all over them working on airplanes. If anyone asks just say it's a sign of a working man and I'm really involved in what I'm doing.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 12:02pm
Tripling up on gloves helps with the real messy stuff... just gotta remember to put more on before you’re down to none.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

As far as the 5200 getting everywhere. That's just part of the job. I've ruined countless uniform shirts getting sealer or RTV all over them working on airplanes..

thanks for the tips guys. I do have a few pairs of "5200 Boat jeans" That will pretty much stand up on their own.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 12:06pm
With Snow Friday evening and temps in the teens all weekend, not having any winter hobbies ( I don't even like going out to shovel snow) Dana and I decided it would be a workshop weekend. She lended a hand last weekend and actually had a good time so I think she may be hooked. I know she didn't want to work on the Hurricane with me because that boat was a bit intimidating to me as my first wood boat project. I had a lot to learn and was unsure of every step so she just decided it was best to stay out of the way unless I needed a second set of hands. This boat is completely different and as I said I still have a lot to learn but everything is so much clearer now as to how to proceed that this "Hobby" has now become fun where as the Hurricane wasn't fun at all, too much self imposed pressure on that one to be perfect and in the end it still wasn't.

So here's what we did this weekend for fun! Might not be your idea of a good time but it works for us.

This weeks goal was to get the transom finished, rebuild the hatch framing and start cleaning the bilge to prepare it for paint.

I spent a lot of time thinking about how to trim the transom ends down to match the shape of the sides and figured a jig saw would get it close but then I'd spend quite a bit more time fine tuning it. I finally decided to fasten a scrap piece of 1/4" plywood to the side of the boat to use as a guide for a mutli tool. I trimmed the ends off flush to the plywood then set up a router at a 1/4" depth and used that to copy the contour of the sides exactly. Worked great and all I had to do was finish cutting the top and bottom ends where the router wouldn't reach. It was almost too easy and worked flawlessly.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 12:10pm
After that I fit in a piece of 5/4 to use as a nailer for the end of the deck planks. A little overkill but nice and solid.

Transom is officially complete, There are easily over 40 hours of work there from tear out, prep and steam bending, lamination and final install.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 12:53pm
Next up was the simple, quick job of replacing the deck frames!   That's when the fun started! LOL.

I replaced the forward frame and then started laying out the opening. Set my side frame pieces in place and put a framing square on it and "What the.." it was out of square by more than a 1/2". I started measuring everything I could to try to figure out what needed to be fixed. Turns out I needed to fix everything. There wasn't a frame member on the boat that was square to anything or even parallel each other. We then measured the actual hatch and found it to be 1/2" longer on one length than the other, again head scratch, HUH!

So i went and reset the forward frame where I thought it needed to be and layed out the opening again, now it's square but about an inch off center at the transom, Sound familiar? Same problem they had when they replaced the deck years ago.

At that point I was dumbfounded on how to fix it because we moved frame members several times, each time we fixed one issue we caused another one elsewhere. We finally decided the only important measurement was a centerline to use as a reference point, nothing else matters, If we had a centerline to the keel of the boat and worked our frame members square off of that then the rest is what it is.    At least we would end up with a square, centered hatch and we could build around that.

I know I've been hard on the factory in the past but I can see where these boats were mass produced and not labored over for a day trying to get the hatch just right. They had boats to get out the door and there was a lot of "good Enough" to go around. For the most part they did look good when completed, it's not until some guy with nothing better to do on a Saturday tears them apart 60 years later and thinks he has the right to criticize what someone did to put food on the table so no more critique from me, only comments. Lot's of respect for them because I don't think they had a lot to work with, Correct Craft was darn near broke at the time, you can see where nothing was wasted. there were no nice 5 or 6/4 boards to work with, everything was built up using 3/8 thick pieces because it was faster and cheaper than actually doing the millwork required using heavy dimensional lumber. They were still craftsmen but were not held to a higher standard I believe because of issues out of there control.

Anyway, I ramble but I think about this stuff as I'm dissecting the past. So here's where we ended up on the hatch, Compete except for a little fairing in when we get to working on the deck. I'm going to try to reuse the hatch if I can but it may be easier to build a new one rather than fix this.

Centerline

Meanwhile Dana spent a good part of her day cleaning and sanding the bilge, That was a lousy job but she never complained. As usual I'm so darn serious and there she is singing along to the radio wearing her fingerprints off and of course a high five from her helper who never seems to be too far away.

A little crazy but it sure beats shoveling snow!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 1:05pm
You make it look so easy...
Interesting how in the boat's original production, it went together and looked good with the hatch and deck being that far off.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Interesting how in the boat's original production, it went together and looked good with the hatch and deck being that far off.

I agree, I think since there's nothing square on a boat your reference points are difficult to establish, sort of a moving target. Step back a few feet and it looks great just leave the tape measure at home.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 1:24pm
Alan,
Don't sight or even pull a line down the center of my Atom ether!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 1:33pm
Amazing work. Thanks for sharing all of this
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 1:38pm
So as usual I'm planning the next steps. Hopefully in the next few weekends we'll get the bilge cleaned and ready for paint.

Way back in the beginning of the thread I said we were going to flip the boat and repair/repaint the bottom. I decided to hold off on that until I knew what I had to do to the framework, now that the transom is done and the rest of the framework has been refastened I think with the boat as light as it is now it makes sense to flip it after we paint the bilge so we can get the bottom work completed.

I'll be calling on some locals to come out and help with the flip, beer and lunch will be on me.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'll be calling on some locals to come out and help with the flip, beer and lunch will be on me.

Just say when...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2020 at 2:13am
Call, text.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2020 at 10:22am
I wish i lived closer! I'd love to help with this project. Looks awesome.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2020 at 10:43am

I agree, I think since there's nothing square on a boat your reference points are difficult to establish, sort of a moving target. Step back a few feet and it looks great just leave the tape measure at home.

Wouldn't that imply that at least the finish carpenters building those boats were very good?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2020 at 10:59am

Wouldn't that imply that at least the finish carpenters building those boats were very good?

Yes I agree on this. I'm sure there were different levels of carpenters in the shop. Apprentices probably worked on the frame work and as you said finish carpenters did the rest. When I was an Apprentice builder many years ago I was always told good finish work starts with good rough work. I can tell you that with all these side planks being hand fitted they were remarkably well done so there was some talent there. Also some of the deck patterns Correct Craft did on these boats was fairly difficult to do. They had a lot of inlays where the deck colors changed and they were all done by hand. When I had to replicate the deck on Todd's Commuter I did it all with a router and follower plate and it was still a challenge. Those guys only had band saws and block planes. Well done.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2020 at 11:14am
Bruce,

The three boards that make up the Covering board of Todd's Commuter are three separate pieces and run almost the entire length of the boat. I fitted those with a router and the joints are almost non detectable. The factory 60 years ago did these by hand on a band saw and they were still pretty darn good. And I bet they knocked that deck out in a day where it took me a weeks worth of Saturdays.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2020 at 10:50am
Those details are beautiful and make the quality look to me as good as a Chris Craft or Century. That inlay took a lot of time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 5:59pm
So this weekend we sort of had a lot of small tasks, nothing ground breaking to show but there was still progress. Dana has the bilge degreased and sanded, ready for paint

I spent some time getting the rear seat back frame positioned correctly and started thinking about the ski pylon. This boat didn't come with it but it's going to get one. I found this one on ebay a few years ago and was going to put it in the Hurricane but never got to it, I don't think I'll ever tear back into that boat so it's going to end up here.. The thought for now is since were dropping in a more modern PCM engine with adjustable motor mounts that we would build an engine cradle as well. It will be similar to what's in most Nautiques and will have the pylon support built into it. We're going to make the pylon ring removal so it won't be in the way when not in use. I know we're going to have a challenge finalizing the design because the engine has to come so far forward to fit in the boat I'm certain the water pump will interfere with the pylon but we'll design on the fly when the time comes.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 6:09pm
I then spent some time fitting the side inner layer of plywood. This is where that repair that was done when they replaced the deck came into play. I decided to pull off the covering board to get access to it as it would be so much easier to repair. I'm going to have a fairly substantial repair job there to get that void filled and straighten the landing for the plywood. Might be easier to just replace it, i'm certain I'll find the same issue up towards the bow where they made a similar repair.

You can see my shirt selection was appropriate for the day!   

Plywood is just tacked in place for now while fitting it in but that's where we ended up for the day

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 7:25pm
Alan - You show start a TV show 'This Old Boat"

What a class act!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 8:26pm
Simply amazing. Other than getting Dana to do it how do you go about degreasing the bilge? I would have thought once that wood gets oily your pretty much out of luck but the results speak for themselves
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

how do you go about degreasing the bilge? I would have thought once that wood gets oily your pretty much out of luck

Gary,
I've had very good results using a poultice of a strong solvent like toluene and oil dry ground into a powder. It works especially good on oily frame bonding surfaces.

Alan,
What have you been doing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Simply amazing. Other than getting Dana to do it how do you go about degreasing the bilge? I would have thought once that wood gets oily your pretty much out of luck but the results speak for themselves

Maybe the word Degreasing was the wrong term because all we did was wipe it down with solvent (Xylol) and sand it. There is still a little bit oil in some of the impossible to reach places but I think it's as good as it's going to get.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 7:20am

You can see my shirt selection was appropriate for the day!   

Ha, love the shirt, love that show and particularly like Sue...
Sure hope you won't start calling any of your eventual helpers "Ass Monkey"

Keep the pictures coming!!
You know we all crave pictures on this forum

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic