NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1956 Collegian restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2023 at 8:32am
Looking great ! Nice to see some progress.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2023 at 11:15am
Ahhhhhhhhh Retirement.... Life is good and Alan is again working with wood. Must be Fall!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2023 at 5:13pm
Overdue for an update but I have a good reason this time.  I mentioned a few pages ago that I have been dealing with some Covid related Auto immune issues and Although I was feeling pretty good this spring I slowly started to go downhill again over the summer.  Started feeling lousy, lost 40 lbs and just felt tired all the time, one evening I got a fever, my BP dropped and so did I.  I woke up on a gurney on the way to the emergency room.   Long story short, I spent 5 days in the hospital and a good 5-6 weeks recovering from a serious blood infection but I once again feel great.  Not how I wanted to drop 4" off my waistline but I do look pretty good right now!  

On to the boat,  Started planking a couple of weeks ago and making some good progress.  This type of work is kicking my butt as I lost a lot of strength but doing anything physical right now is good for me.  I'm hurting at the end of the day good it's a good hurt.

Four strakes installed on the port side, strake five and above will need steaming so that will slow me down a little.  Taking the extra time to get my plank joints real nice and am very happy with the results so far.

I'm going to start a new thread about the engine as I have some rebuilding questions.

I spent a lot of time fairing out the plywood sides, that is really helping with getting good results with the planking

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2023 at 6:12am
Glad to see some progress on the boat going again and that you seem to be back on the mend. Getting Old ain't for sissies! Just start doing laps around the hood backwards like you're bride and you'll be back in shape before you know it. 40lb loss? Shocked I'm sure your knees appreciate it. Tou'll be back on a stick this spring.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2023 at 7:42am
Sorry to hear you were still battling Corvid last summer. Have a nephew that was doing the same last summer. It will take a while to build your strength back to where you were before. Glad to hear you’re back at it on the boat. You’re moving right along even though it may be a slower pace. Keep it up, it will be better!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 8:28am
Glad you're feeling and doing better Alan!
And awesome to see some progress on the boat...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 8:33am
Good to hear you are on the road to recovery it will take time, so just enjoy yourself and the boat looks great as always Clap  
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2023 at 9:05am
Glad you're feeling better, Alan.  I look forward to seeing this thread continue.  Merry Christmas to you and Dana!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2023 at 4:14pm
one side down one to go.  It won't look sexy until I start shaping it in but this is by far the best of the three boats I've done ....so far!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 5:41pm
Installed strake #5 today and steam bent strakes 6&7.  If I can put 2 days together next week I'll have both sides installed and then a quick holiday break.  Transom is next.

30 minutes in the steam box and clamp it in place.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2024 at 8:20am
Always hugely enjoy craftsmanship... And boy, this is craftsmanship.

Very nice Alan!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2024 at 8:54am
Beautiful work. Very rare these days
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2024 at 11:02am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Beautiful work. Very rare these days

Ehhh, woodworking skills and craftsmanship are so yesterday.  Why mess with all that when for a quarter-mil you can pick one of these up and be out destroying a lake near you by this afternoon.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2024 at 6:19am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Ehhh, woodworking skills and craftsmanship are so yesterday. 

I am a yesterday's man... Tongue

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 10:12am

I’m from a family where we grew up on a lake, grew up with wooden boats, grew up with two generations of craftsmen before me, my dad and my grandfather.  Continuing that hands-on experience to my son and daughter. Yes, we need to continue the beautiful traditions of the old ways or it will be lost.  Even repairing gelcoat takes skills and patience.

Enjoy watching this project getting closer to being finished.

To the yesterday's men and women out there!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2024 at 5:09pm
Amazing skills, this is really fun to watch!

We saw the movie "The Boys in the Boat" a month or so ago.  Really enjoyed the movie, but I mention it because one character is the older gent that is making the wooden rowing shells, not that they show much detail but it does give you a sense of the care and skill it took to make a competitive boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2024 at 4:06pm

Making progress, Sides are completely installed and finished up the transom as well.  Started installing wood plugs, That is a miserable, time consuming job but it has to get done to move forward.  

Also got one coat of paint on the inside of the boat, I'm going to wait to do a second coat until all the mechanical work is roughed in.

I'm a little behind with the engine as I'm still waiting for the stroker kit to come in, could be several months before I have a powerplant to drop in and start fitting.  I also have a transmission to rebuild so I'm really behind on mechanicals.  I really wanted to do all my fitting before I installed the deck but I don't want lose momentum so I'll start laying the deck out next

illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2024 at 4:25pm
Beautiful work as always
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2024 at 11:00pm
Agreed. Fun to watch and learn. Will you comment of the two layers on wood on the sides and transom. Looks like an inner layer w hard wood on the outer layer?
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2024 at 9:46am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Agreed. Fun to watch and learn. Will you comment on the two layers on wood on the sides and transom. Looks like an inner layer w hard wood on the outer layer?

Yes there is an inner layer of 1/4” marine plywood then 3/8” mahogany planking is applied to that using 5200 and silicone bronze fasteners.  Correct Crafts are one of just a few manufacturers that used the double plank method on bottom, sides and deck.  Most other brands only went double plank on the bottom and then used a single plank on batten technique everywhere else.  With the use of 5200 and double planking on the entire boat you create a very water tight hull that is trailerable and does not need soaking to get it to stop leaking.  Bonding the outer planks with 5200 helps retain nice tight plank seams for much longer than a batten built boat (That’s my opinion of course but hey I’m a Correctcraftfan)
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2024 at 9:51am
Very cool and great to know about the ability to trailer better and not having to soak to be water tight.  I would love to do a wood boat as a project when I have more free time.  This work thing and two young kids seem to monopolize my time.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2024 at 4:11pm
60+ degrees today so I took advantage of it and rolled the boat outside to get started on fairing in the sides.  First pass is with 40 grit on the  grinder Milwaukee grinder.  That thing gets heavy right hour 5, lol.

One side is done, hopefully the other side tomorrow before the snow returns.  After that it will get another pass with 80 grit on grinder and then I'll switch to long boarding it by hand.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2024 at 7:36pm
I hope your back and shoulders hold out for another day!  Project looks to be coming along nicely. Appreciate the photo updates. 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2024 at 11:27am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

First pass is with 40 grit on the  grinder Milwaukee grinder.  That thing gets heavy right hour 5, lol.

One side is done, hopefully the other side tomorrow before the snow returns.  After that it will get another pass with 80 grit on grinder and then I'll switch to long boarding it by hand.

How ya doin' on 80 Grit? I know a guy! Wink
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2024 at 7:46pm
Outstanding and thanks for the updates.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2024 at 12:02pm
Still here, Still sanding!

Starboard side is sanded through 80 grit with the long board.  Port side is about 50%. I’ll wait to do the final 100 grit long boarding until just before staining.  

I think this is a little overkill but this is my procedure for long board fairing.  After 80 grit at 45 degree angle to the grain to fair the planking I then use a 6” Festool  orbital sander to take out scratches.  I then draw diagonal lines with a pencil about 1” spaced down the entire side of the boat to use as a guide to find the high and low spots so I can level them off.  After that it’s back to 80 grit on the long board but this time with the grain, this will remove the orbital marks from the power sander. The  pencil lines will reveal areas that need to be leveled.  

So one side is completed but my arms needed a day or two before I could get back to side 2 so I decided to fit and temporarily install the forward spray rails.

Ps. The pencil lines reveal every high and low and in the process of sanding the boat has earned a new nickname “Lumpy”. 
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2024 at 7:52am
Astonishing... just astonishing.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2024 at 11:48am
Just an amazing attention to detail, really enjoy your descriptions!

My arms were sore when I woke up this morning from thinking about you doing all that sanding. Smile
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2024 at 6:04pm
Any Fitbit users out there?  Thursday was a marathon sanding day.  367 minutes in the zone and 14000 steps even though I never left the garage.  Entire boat is now long boarded.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2024 at 9:30pm
Fabricated and test fitted the rear spray rails today.  The curved transom was a challenge but it came out ok. Still need to shape it to fit the stainless rubrail and then finish sand but after this it’s on to the deck.  The top of the blue tape is the top of the waterline as taken from the old planks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic