NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Somebody help this guy find a Mastercraft

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 11:49am
Slightly off topic but since your talking cheap boats and you guys like CCs. My daughter and her boyfriend just picked this up at the local auction for just slightly over your budget.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 12:35pm
Cracks me up when people judge a ski boat's ride by saying it is bad in rough water. It's a freakin' ski boat, not an ocean going fishing boat. When are you going to be using it in rough water? My Mazda Miata is an ok car but I cant fit my family in it and it has lousy trunk space (just an example....I dont really own a miata)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 2:10pm
In all fairness the MC and supreme do ride horribly in water that is still perfectly skiable. Crossing wakes is back breaking. Even the vintage cc’s ride 10x better.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 2:58pm
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

https://www.copart.com/lot/26036120

You might as well start sending links to cars ...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

https://www.copart.com/lot/26036120

You might as well start sending links to cars ...

I agree.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2020 at 9:06pm
My 1988 2001 hull rides much better than my 1979 Ski Supreme did. Wake was far superior in the Supreme though for skiing. Was quite surprised.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 5:56am
Desert Skier, looks like your daughter came up with a nice boat. I hope it does not need much work to get it back on the water.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 6:50pm
Went and looked at it this morning. It's a '99 Pro Air with a GT-40. Interior is a little crispy but overall it looks pretty good. Not sure if runs or not yet. Expect I will be looking at the GT-40 thread in the near future.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2020 at 9:17pm
I have to agree with your (TRBenj) choice of workhorse for your purpose...a '83-on Pslot is a rugged tug with lots of grunt. These were used in the day at the original Marine World then in Redwood Shores, Ca. in the ski show. The early all-glass hulls rode rough and 'rattled' and were noisy, but they didn't break.

First-gen Malibus of that era had mold problems resulting in a asymmetrical hull that would chine-walk when turning. They rode unevenly, very hard to get level. If pressed hard enough, the company would literally replace the hull under warranty.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

A friend of mine has what I think is a 96 Malibu Tantrum. The wake is great for barefooting and it gets used like a tractor. Pulled up three fatties deepwater (one bacerds) last summer. It gets the job done and does it well. but I still let all my allegiance lie in the CC family.

Tim- becasue I love to look for used boats, I am on the prowl. I am almost sure you have never been to Nebraska and this would be a great excuse!

The Tantrum is a sportster hull I believe... and that’s a nice simple pulling rig. I’ve seen a few Tantrums for short money and they’re tempting... but all that purple and the really horrific gauge placement (plus the cheap plexi windshield) gives me pause.

Find me a Nebraska boat, would love to visit!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 4:58pm
Long ways from CT but a 1982 Stars and Stripes in Santa Rosa
Based on the Prop I think it is a powerslot boat.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/santa-rosa-mastercraft-stars-stripes/7058040049.html
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 5:25pm
If you can judge prop pitch from a picture you’re a better man than me!

Unfortunately he’s probably right about the year and definitely wrong about the stringers, that’s not a composite boat- so I’ve ruled it out. At that price i think he’ll have it for a while too.

Keep em coming!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you can judge prop pitch from a picture you’re a better man than me!

Unfortunately he’s probably right about the year and definitely wrong about the stringers, that’s not a composite boat- so I’ve ruled it out. At that price i think he’ll have it for a while too.

Keep em coming!

Tim if you have any interest in this boat call and ask him to verify the composite stringers. Like CC, Mastercraft had crossover years but that dash pod came out in 83 so maybe it's a late 82 with 83 construction?   Still a bit of money but may be worth a phone call.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 5:59pm
Composite stringers were a mid 83 change... and I can see that the engine mount is sitting right on the stringer in his pics. The composite boats have the engine sitting on a piece of angle inboard of the stringer (no need to notch the floor)... so I’m fairly certain.

I’ve seen that pod on other 82’s if I’m not mistaken- lots of weird things happening in that timeframe- like the inconsistent switch over to the square framed windshield. My 81 had one but have seen 81-82 boats with the round plexi. Weird.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 6:05pm
Your 90 SN also didn’t have the correct windshield. Things happen.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 6:21pm

Composite stringers were a mid 83 change... and I can see that the engine mount is sitting right on the stringer in his pics. The composite boats have the engine sitting on a piece of angle inboard of the stringer (no need to notch the floor)... so I’m fairly certain.

I’ve seen that pod on other 82’s if I’m not mistaken- lots of weird things happening in that timeframe- like the inconsistent switch over to the square framed windshield. My 81 had one but have seen 81-82 boats with the round plexi. Weird.

Agreed on weird stuff between those years. My 82 had the round plexi windshield and did not have that hideous dash pod but I've seen just the opposite on other 82's as well. Mine also had a textured deck which was pretty cool.

Not that it matters but the round windshield and the double bump dash for the speedos was a great look. That pod was just horrible.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 8:54pm
The floating pod doesn’t bother me, the bug eye one my 81 had was not my favorite. The square framed windshield just looks proper to me, but the plexi isn’t bad looking at all. Just what I remember growing up.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2020 at 11:51pm
Not all memories are good memories .
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 7:58am
If you're considering any different brands Tim, let me know and I'll start another thread for ya'.

This one has been pretty entertaining
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you're considering any different brands Tim, let me know and I'll start another thread for ya'.

This one has been pretty entertaining

Despite a very generous offer, this one was just not available, so he moved on.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 11:25am

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

A friend of mine has what I think is a 96 Malibu Tantrum. The wake is great for barefooting and it gets used like a tractor. Pulled up three fatties deepwater (one bacerds) last summer. It gets the job done and does it well. but I still let all my allegiance lie in the CC family.

Tim- becasue I love to look for used boats, I am on the prowl. I am almost sure you have never been to Nebraska and this would be a great excuse!

The Tantrum is a sportster hull I believe... and that’s a nice simple pulling rig. I’ve seen a few Tantrums for short money and they’re tempting... but all that purple and the really horrific gauge placement (plus the cheap plexi windshield) gives me pause.

Find me a Nebraska boat, would love to visit!

The plexi windscreen makes for great a hairdoo when you plop in the drivers seat after a ski run! We never have to clean it to see through it though! Ah yes-purple and guage placement might give everyone pause. In my 20's it may have prevented me from getting in it but now that we have come to terms with the fact that the "chickies" do not care about the grey haired generation, we just ski, laugh, have a few beers, and enjoy ourselves! Come visit whether a boat is found or not. We would be happy to have any and all!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 5:00pm
Found this by accident... maybe a fit?

S+S MC SoCal
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by RealDeez RealDeez wrote:

Found this by accident... maybe a fit?

S+S MC SoCal

No, but thanks.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:15pm
I’ll bite....why not TRB. Motor, stringers   
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:20pm
Doesnt need me to speak for him, but re-read his criteria. Price and distance.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:20pm

Willing to consider any 83.5+ boat but it has to be cheap.

Plenty of options at $5k and above... I am looking well south of that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:33pm
Ok. I was kinda digging for your thoughts on equipment motor etc
Good to know something else
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:38pm
I went back. I see your plan. You must have spare big block sitting around
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2020 at 8:42am
Here's a possibility for ya' TRB

From Ball of Spray but he also spends some time here on CCF

It seems to have been nicknamed the SaladStar 190   

Maybe he'll come along with some info about the creation of this gem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic