Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 takes longer to start when warm

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:18am

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

Well at least the money you saved on injectors can be thrown at some other parts that might solve your issue or if nothing else you'll have a good spare parts collection.

Maybe you missed it earlier, but what's your idle speed in Neutral and in gear? (there's a reason for asking)

by memory 650-700 in gear

Sounds normal

If your ECT sensor. ACT sensor or MAP sensor are reading out of range, a default value gets fed to the computer and the idle is set at 800 rpm by the computer.

I think like SNObsessed said, I'd be looking at sensors and the wiring to them and throwing money at sensors next. A sensor can be reading bad and not be out of range.

The only way to convince yourself that it is or isn't the LP fuel pump will be to change it   

Ive got the TFI sensor in my cart lol

Any others I may need to look at?
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:22am
Here's an old thread with "similar" issues.

Good reading but AndrewB obviously didn't know how or didn't
want to share his fix

He replaced more parts than you, so I wouldn't feel bad about replacing stuff

Without the right diagnosis tools, you don't have much choice but to go on suggestions and what you think.

link

C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:22am
It does not bother me one I-ota to throw money at parts that I know can fail to help my peace of mind. I've towed and been towed and neither were fun. This boat is heavier than my last 2 boats combined. I cant imagine having to float it on the trailer while wading in 4 feet of water with a dead engine while the dock is full of people fighting over 2 ramps
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:28am
I think you mean the TFI module, but there are the ECT, ACT and MAP sensors to consider.(plus a few more)

Spare parts on hand is always a good thing   

And change one thing at a time then test but I figure you know that.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:39am
ECT is engine coolant temp
MAP is absolute pressure

whats Act?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:43am

MAP is absolute pressure

whats Act?

Air Charge Temperature (incoming air temperature)

See section 2 of the manual for a good description of the control system
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:52am
By the way, you'll find things in the manual that don't pertain to your engine since it's more accurate for the OMC/Volvo versions of these engines and it would seem that PCM just rubber stamped it without a good proofreading

It ain't the best but it's all we got
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 11:52am

MAP is absolute pressure

whats Act?

Air Charge Temperature (incoming air temperature)

See section 2 of the manual for a good description of the control system

Im googling! lol ill check it out

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:23pm
Another thing you can do while you’re waiting on parts is... in the manual is a section called “Theory of Operation” it explains what all these sensors do and and how the fuel system works to make the GT40 run.
Helps with trouble shooting when you understand how it all ties together.
It starts on 2A-17
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:38pm

It does not bother me one I-ota to throw money at parts that I know can fail to help my peace of mind. I've towed and been towed and neither were fun. This boat is heavier than my last 2 boats combined. I cant imagine having to float it on the trailer while wading in 4 feet of water with a dead engine while the dock is full of people fighting over 2 ramps

Chris, I'm with you on that. There are times when I'll spend $100 because when I put my head on the pillow at night I know that part isn't likely to be the next problem. And you are doing a good job of testing and trying to figure out the problem, a few more sensors may solve it.

Plus, I'm hoping you spend all the money, pinpoint the problem, then I'll just take your fix and do it on mine!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Another thing you can do while you’re waiting on parts is... in the manual is a section called “Theory of Operation” it explains what all these sensors do and and how the fuel system works to make the GT40 run.
Helps with trouble shooting when you understand how it all ties together.
It starts on 2A-17

dang right i need that thanks!
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Chris, I'm with you on that. There are times when I'll spend $100 because when I put my head on the pillow at night I know that part isn't likely to be the next problem. And you are doing a good job of testing and trying to figure out the problem, a few more sensors may solve it.

Plus, I'm hoping you spend all the money, pinpoint the problem, then I'll just take your fix and do it on mine!

ill be the guinea pig i dont care lol
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:43pm
I don't believe these sensors are marine specific (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and while I like to support Nautique Parts and SkiDIM, sometimes their engine components are absurdly overpriced (i.e. low pressure pump).

It would be great if somebody has NAPA or similar part #'s for any of these things if they posted. Could save us all a few bucks if we don't have to buy the PCM offering.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 1:05pm
You are correct they all have Ford part numbers. PCM just repackages them. I have most if not all numbers at home,unfortunately with all going on it might be awhile before I get there. I'll have to make up a list and post.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You are correct they all have Ford part numbers. PCM just repackages them. I have most if not all numbers at home,unfortunately with all going on it might be awhile before I get there. I'll have to make up a list and post.

you still on that 100x40 lot and burning up? lol
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 1:19pm
But then again you can't really support SkiDIM and Nautique Parts if you only buy more obscure or inboard specific parts there, then buy anything that can be found cheaper elsewhere. They can't be expected to sell at the same price as a national parts supplier.

Kind of like buying everything on Amazon and then wondering why your local store closed.
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 1:40pm

But then again you can't really support SkiDIM and Nautique Parts if you only buy more obscure or inboard specific parts there, then buy anything that can be found cheaper elsewhere. They can't be expected to sell at the same price as a national parts supplier.

Kind of like buying everything on Amazon and then wondering why your local store closed.

I don't disagree and don't have a problem paying a fair markup at the "local" retailer to support them. I feel good in knowing I have purchased plenty through those channels. But there is a point at which that's no longer reasonable.

Take the low pressure pump I mentioned. That is sold for $215 at the "local guys." I purchased the exact same pump for $69 elsewhere (and they are still marking it up). That represents an increase of 212%. That is past the point at which I'm willing to be generous with my business. In fact, it feels more like they're trying to stick it to me which I don't appreciate.

But this is what makes our country and capitalism great. If the small guys can get people to pay that then more power to them!
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 1:45pm
Yes I am and I'm sitting inside just like if I was back north. It just hit 90 out and it's 35 at the other end

I hear you Dave but it is tough paying 212 for a pump that's around 50 - 70. I have never bought anything from White Lake. You call them no one answers leave a message. After Zach left N3 I have had that happen there too. Not a fan of that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 2:37pm
I agree on the service point, obviously if you are not receiving good service then they don't deserve your business. And I grant you on the LP pump, that is just too much of a difference.

I guess I'm just sensitive to this from hearing too many friends rail about the price difference of this or that at a smaller shop, then when they need some special fastener they want the same shop to spend a half hour figuring out the right $17 part and special order it.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 2:44pm
As for parts changing/troubleshooting, more than once I had a shop change a bunch of parts on my dime, they said that they were all 'weak'.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 2:59pm
I hear you Dave. That's why were are in trouble today. The money we saved by having stuff outsourced is now gone how many times over. Hope this is a wake up moment
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 3:08pm

true but im not paying $215 for a LP pump when its $70 elsewhere. Ill pay a fair markup and thats far from fair. Ive probably spent $2500 this year at NP. Some things I have to just pass on though.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 4:21pm
Spark plugs are a good example of getting it stuck up your behind     

Click on the link below for some reading

link

In this case it's PCM doing the gouging, just like most other OEM's of things like tractors, cars, ATV's, snowmobiles ..............and on and on. The dealer could easily sell you the same plug without the packaging for a lot less

If you want genuine OEM supplied parts in genuine OEM packaging, which is all that some people will buy, you're gonna pay for that.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2020 at 11:57pm
Still on it! I replaced the LP pump today with a new one and the fuel pressure regulator. Timing check coming next. The LP pump had a little trash in it but not much. It was 7 years old so I replaced it anyhow. That’s most of the fuel system besides fuel rail and injectors lol. I’ll report back after I put a timing light on it. Thanks guys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2020 at 12:02am
Don’t forget there’s a certain way to check and set the timing.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2020 at 1:42am

Don’t forget there’s a certain way to check and set the timing.

I’ve got the checking down I think. I’m not doing any setting till I report back lol
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 12:40am
Update: I did the LP fuel pump and pressure regulator. Still a long hot start. Say 5 seconds. Timing is next. Just and update for others with same issue. I’ll report back after checking base timing.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 2:52pm
Update on the updates! Ordered 2 relays today, FUEL and EEC. It has practically turned winter here so no lake test until this weekend if Im lucky. Ill report back. The New LP pump and regulator didnt change things, still long start when warm, Im getting closer to this gremlin lol. Thanks guys!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 3:42pm
Well at least now I know where to go for used GT40 parts.
Those relays can be cheaply purchased at the local parts store.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 4:36pm

Well at least now I know where to go for used GT40 parts.
Those relays can be cheaply purchased at the local parts store.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic