NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hull stain

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hull stain
    Posted: April-21-2020 at 11:33am
I obviously don't know how to search as I can never find what I'm looking for. So here I am again searching for ways to remove the water stain(yellow/brown) on lower hull.
Suggestions
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 11:45am
Lots of choices like stuff advertised to clean it off for a fairly high price (Starbrite, Mary Kate On -off etc)

Or you can go cheap with toilet bowl cleaner

Or when the going gets tough, click on the link below

link

By the way if you're dressed right for the stuff in the link, that coronavirus probably won't get ya
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 11:48am
John,
Have you ever visited the FAQ thread in the maintenace section? Lots of great info in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Have you ever visited the FAQ thread in the maintenace section? Lots of great info in it.

You're right but then I wouldn't get any of your great replys
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 12:53pm
As someone whose boat sits in the water, I rely on this stuff. For years, I used the regular on-off. Good stuff, but splattery. I took a many year break from harsh hull cleaners due to having a painted boat, but now I am back with them. This round, I am going with this stuff.

The gel version is great. Stays on/doesnt splatter. Put it on with a paint brush. Swirl brush around a little bit on more stubborn spots. Let it sit a few minutes. Hose off. At 24 years young, my hull finish is still showroom.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 12:55pm
I attached a bristle brush to an old broom handle so I could scrub it from a distance without the acid stuff getting on me. It still spatters a bit so wear eye protection. I used a pan that I could dip the brush into. Maker sure & rinse the trailer off, that stuff eats paint.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 2:32pm
John - the below (put in a spray bottle) has been my go to for water line / hull stains for a long time. As others stated........use proper PPE and rinse trailer well

https://www.dollargeneral.com/the-works-disinfectant-toilet-bowl-cleaner-32-oz.html
SRB
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by burban65 burban65 wrote:

John - the below (put in a spray bottle) has been my go to for water line / hull stains for a long time. As others stated........use proper PPE and rinse trailer well

https://www.dollargeneral.com/the-works-disinfectant-toilet-bowl-cleaner-32-oz.html

Here's a direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2023 at 12:38pm
Thread Bump on this one as I was cleaning up the 99' this weekend. Had some serious water stain on the white portions of the hull. Kinda rusty /GA red clay color to it and I was about to do some light wet sanding to it to get it off but remembered guys here using oven cleaner I thought to remove the stains but nope that was glue residue. Did a Google Search and on a couple of sailboat forums and maybe PN responses to the same question said use Goof Off RustAid remover. I needed to make a run to Lowes anyway and picked up a gallon of the stuff (ie 3 boats) and man I gotta tell ya that stuff worked GREAT!! Put it in a spray bottle, and went over all the stains and within 5 mins the hull was white again. Dropped the lift in the water to give it rinse and whamo! He's ready to go.It even took the stain off the platform brackets. It's good stuff.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic