Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Alternator Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tofasttoocare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tofasttoocare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Alternator Wiring
    Posted: May-05-2020 at 9:54pm
I am replacing the alternator in my boat (see information in signature). I bought a new Mando alternator and wired it according to a diagram I found online (see picture below). The wiring on my old alternator is below as well. The problem I am having is when I engage the starter the main 50A breaker pops and there is no power. After about 10 mins it closes and I have power again.

In an effort to diagnose the improperly connected wire, I disconnected the wires one at a time. Each time with any one of the wires disconnected the breaker would pop. I also tried disconnecting two wires. I tried all of the combinations and it still popped. Last I disconnected all of the wires and it still popped. To check that I hadn't messed anything up, I reinstalled the old alternator. Everything worked fine. I am not sure what the problem could be. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

1996 SNOB

350 Chevy Pro Ski TBI

PCM 1.23:1
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 1:51am
The wiring diagram below might shed some light on your situation.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 9:19pm
TFTC

I think the only way that makes any sense is :

the big orange wire hooked to the output terminal

The green wire is excitation and would go to the excitation terminal on the new one

Black wire is ground.

The sensing wire that you don't have on the old Prestolite could be a short jumper from the sensing terminal to the output terminal that the orange wire is hooked to or if you have a lot of loads run the wire from the sensing terminal back to the other end of the orange wire where it hooks to the main breaker for a little better sensing of system voltage.
Either way works.

And this is just me thinking, since I don't have a Mando sitting in front of me
Tofasttoocare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tofasttoocare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 1:24pm
Thank you for the responses. I am wondering what the difference is between the S terminal and the EXC terminal. They are very plainly marked on the alternator, but I am wondering if they have a similar function the EXC wire from the old alternator needs to go on the S wire for the new alternator.

Thank you

1996 SNOB

350 Chevy Pro Ski TBI

PCM 1.23:1
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 1:59pm
TFTC

The Green excitation wire from your harness would go to the excitation terminal on your Mando.

The Orange wire from the harness goes to the output terminal on the Mando.

In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned a jumper between the sensing terminal and the output terminal

In your picture of the Mando, that jumper is already installed from the factory it's that flat strip covered by a piece of insulating sleeve. Leave that the way it is and just hook up the 2 wires as mentioned above and you should be good.

You don't want to hook the excitation wire to anything but the excitation terminal

It gives the alternator the kick in the butt that it needs to start making some electricity.

If it doesn't work like that you have other problems, which may be the case since it looks like you've replaced multiple alternators when looking at your old posts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic