Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water temp sender

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water temp sender
    Posted: August-19-2020 at 4:32pm
A couple weeks ago I finally got around to replacing my Thermostat on my 98 SN with GT40. It was running good but since I purchased it the temp gauge always runs around 150-155. I have verified that my temps were closer to 140-145 with and IR gun. sure enough there was a 143 thermostat in it. After installing the new 160 deg. my temps are now showing in the 170-175 range. Again verified that my temps at the sensor on the water pump and the intake, and heads is in the 160-165 range now. 
I want to try an new temp sensor and wondered if anyone has a cross reference number for the R020002 PCM number. would like to pick it up locally. 
TIA
Tongue

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 5:47pm
Looks like thread sealer on the sender.  I install mine dry.  Might make a difference. Never seen an electric gauge that was right on the money anyhow.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Looks like thread sealer on the sender.  I install mine dry.  Might make a difference. Never seen an electric gauge that was right on the money anyhow.
I see bare brass pipe threads. Confused

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

I see bare brass pipe threads. Confused

I see a finely manicured thumbnail Wink

Kinda like mine
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 8:40pm
Martin 

If you want to replace it you'd probably be best off getting the PCM replacement so that you have a sender that's matched to the gauge or you could find one that has the same ohm range of 30 to 240 and is made for a meter with the same range as yours. It's not the easiest thing to do.

Jonny Q should be along to tell you all about his temperature gauge experiences. He was on the "replace one a year program" for a while Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 9:47pm
(KENO...this response is for you)

I have bad luck with PCM temp senders.  I must be snake-bit.  I now buy 'em at Costco by the case...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Kinda like mine
Ken,
Yes they closed the boutique I normally go to so I have to use a rasp file at home! TongueCryCry  Where did you see the Ohm for the sender? this one was reading over 500 at about 75 degrees yesterday?
Duane, 
I don't believe there is any sealant on this and I checked for continuity prior to removing and it was 0 ohm to ground. 
JQ,
I've read some of your post about luck with sensors and was wondering where you were getting themLOL I might take a look at the   resistance readings at the gauge VS the sender and see if I have some resistance in the wire somewhere. 

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Kinda like mine
Ken,
Yes they closed the boutique I normally go to so I have to use a rasp file at home! TongueCryCry  Where did you see the Ohm for the sender? this one was reading over 500 at about 75 degrees yesterday?
Duane, 
I don't believe there is any sealant on this and I checked for continuity prior to removing and it was 0 ohm to ground. 
JQ,
I've read some of your post about luck with sensors and was wondering where you were getting themLOL I might take a look at the   resistance readings at the gauge VS the sender and see if I have some resistance in the wire somewhere. 

I got the numbers from some Teleflex paperwork that I have.

240 ohms  equals 120 degrees      70 ohms equals 180 degrees             30 ohms equals 240 degrees  I think it's an industry standard (think is the key word here)       Edit ....and the more I think about it, I think it's not a standard Wink

Your 500 ish ohm reading at 75 degrees sounds reasonable. See the link below

The Teleflex link below has lots of good info on gauges and stuff. Wink

Page 22 of 23 has inboard temp gauge info

Most important thing is that the gauge and sender are matched to each other.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic