NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dirty exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mikeski2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dirty exhaust
    Posted: August-19-2020 at 11:23pm
I have a 2000 Ski Nautique with the 5.0 Gm throttle body fuel injection system.
I get a lot of dark soot on my transom after skiing. I run 91 octane fuel and put a bottle of sea foam in every couple tanks. Every 50 hrs or so I have to clean my plugs because they get fairly fouled by then. I do a new cap and plugs every season, or about every 100 hrs.
The perfect pass says 800 hrs (300 by me) but it might be more. My gauges failed so I replaced them when I got the boat 4 years ago.
I am not an gear head but I’m handy. What does my engine need, or is it heading to the train station ( Yellow Stone reference).
If it needs replaced how much, if any of the parts can be re used on a 5.7 if I re power it.
It still runs really well, pulls nice through the course and holds speed it’s just a bit of a dog out of the hole and tops out at 41mph
Sorry for being long winded.
Mike
Mike
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 7:01am
Are you running without a tstat?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 7:51am
Could also be dirty or leaking injector.  
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 8:48am
It has a new 170 thermostat in there last year the old one would not let it get above 135 or so.
I have cleaned up the throttlebody a couple times with throttlebody cleaner and I run fuel injector cleaner through the gas is the fuel injector something I would be able to work on myself
Mike
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 10:56pm
You only need 89 octane fuel...not 91.  It is a myth that "premium" fuel makes your engine run better.  That MAY contribute a little to your soot problem as higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane fuels.

What spark plug are you running?  If the plug is too cold, that can cause soot in the exhaust

As stated above, I would first look for a bad injector that is not properly atomizing the fuel and/or leaking.

If your EFI engine has a mass air flow sensor, make sure it is properly cleaned.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 11:55pm
That’s interesting about the fuel. Most places I fuel up the only non ethanol option is 91.
They are the mr43lts. they are the Plug calles out in the manual.
Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2020 at 10:49am
Mike:  bad injector(s) is the most likely culprit.  In my old 1994 SN, I had the throttle-body Electronic Fuel Injection and one of the injectors was dribbling quite badly. That produced a lot of dark gray to black smoke that wound up on my transom after every trip.  The engine would load up on too much fuel at lower RPMs.  High RPM was OK. 

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2020 at 12:09pm
Ok that makes a A lot of sense. The exhaust is bad or really dark especially after pulling my kids knee boarding or skiing under 20 mile an hour I Rarely see it when slaloming.
Are the injectors marine specific or can I get them at auto zone or the like.
Thanks
Mike
Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2020 at 12:38pm
Pull out an injector and look it up.  I use www.RockAuto.com.  It shouldn’t be marine specific.  I would change them all out at the same time.  Don’t go cheap and try to save a few buck$ — put in good quality injectors.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2020 at 1:05pm
You bet after 20 years I’m sure they’re both due.
Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 6:47pm
I replaced both of my injectors. The service manager that I talk to said another problem might be my O2 sensor or oxygen sensor. He thinks those may cause it to run to Rich as if it were at altitude. I haven’t run it yet but I wonder if I should look into that as well
Mike
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Mikeski2000 Mikeski2000 wrote:

I replaced both of my injectors. The service manager that I talk to said another problem might be my O2 sensor or oxygen sensor. He thinks those may cause it to run to Rich as if it were at altitude. I haven’t run it yet but I wonder if I should look into that as well

Does this mean you replaced both injectors and you're still getting the same dirty exhaust?

Looking for an O2 sensor on your engine would be like looking for a non existent needle in a giant haystack.Wink

I think you should talk to somebody besides the service manager, since he thinks you have an O2 sensor on a Model year 2000 TBI Pleasurecraft marine engine.

And..............nowhere near the train station or at least it shouldn't be.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 1:06pm
I’m going to water test today. Ran great on the hose, and looked like it was spraying well.
Service manager was thinking 94 Chevy truck, since that’s how we found the part number for my injectors. I say boat and I get a Deere in the headlight look or they tell me they can’t help me at all
Mike
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2020 at 10:11am
Is this the” Deere “in the headlights look you got LOL

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2020 at 12:13pm
It’s always “I can’t look up a boat! We don’t carry any boat parts. Have you tried the marina?”
My marina services jet skis and pontoons. Everything else is guess work
Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2020 at 9:18am
Just got back from the lake. Had a lot of hesitation when I punch it and lost 2 to 2½ mph of the top end. Didn't respond well to PP at 34 mph. Was up and down not holding speed at all.
The injector tip on the replacement was about an ⅛" shorter than the original. Now to see if I can find the right ones.
Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 11:27pm
Looking at a different option on injectors. My GM 305 tbi replacement injectors were not functional.
Thinking about refurbished injectors from rock auto or a complete replacement like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Man-5235279-TBI-Fuel-Injector-Kit-Regulator-GMC-Chevrolet-5-0L-305/292963979289?epid=74260124&hash=item4436039019:g:xloAAOSwFlNcZteD
Sorry I made this ridiculous link. Can’t figure out how to shorten it
Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2020 at 2:23pm
Finally got good injectors. Just water tested and it ran really smoothly. A lot less gas smell in the exhaust and transom is clean.
Oh and my son ran 6 slalom sets in 45 deg air. Great day
Mike
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2020 at 3:01pm
Glad you got it figured out.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic