Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone recognize this sound from the engine?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone recognize this sound from the engine?
    Posted: August-23-2020 at 5:31pm
Been working on my 1990 Ski Nautique with the PCM Ford 351 engine.
Yesterday, I noticed a strange clanking while the engine was running on the FlushPro in the driveway. Sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine and it continues for about 30 seconds after the engine has been turned off.
Any ideas on what it might be?

Here's a link to a 15 second YouTube video of the issue:

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2020 at 8:11pm
Not off hand but - something clicking that loud has to be felt.With it off like that get your hand on the starter,solenoid and maybe the choke and see if you can feel that tapping. Does it do that every time you turn on the key or does it have to run first? 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Not off hand but - something clicking that loud has to be felt.With it off like that get your hand on the starter,solenoid and maybe the choke and see if you can feel that tapping. Does it do that every time you turn on the key or does it have to run first? 

It only happens after the engines runs. Sounds and feels like it's coming from underneath the valve covers.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2020 at 8:56pm
Bert,
Do you have the garden hose turned on all the way? To me, it almost sounds like a thermal tick from cold water in a hot engine. Is there a T stat installed on the engine? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2020 at 9:10pm
Peter,
Appreciate your reply.
I did not have the garden hose turned up all the way, but a thermal tick is possible because the noise appears to move around, from one side to the other. And the engine does have a 143F thermostat, recently installed.
Also recently:
  • replaced spark plugs
  • replaced distributor cap and rotor
  • replaced exhaust riser gaskets
  • changed transmission fluid
  • set ignition timing at 10 degrees BTDC
  • replaced ignition wires
  • replaced ignition coil
  • replaced exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts
Did not notice the noise until after replacing the riser gaskets. May have been a coincidence.

Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 7:11am
I didn't know how far I should turn up the volume when I watched the video so it's kinda hard to decide how loud the noise is Wink 

I'm kinda sorta maybe thinking it sounds like a hot engine/manifolds that weren't being cooled too good when it was running and some hot metal is contracting

How's your flush pro working?

Is the RWP moving water?

Did you have the  RWP off and reinstall it upside down?

How's the impeller in the pump?

Getting plenty of water out the exhaust when it's running?

So many questions Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 8:02am
Ken,

The FlushPro works well as does the raw water pump.

I had the pump off and replaced the impeller a couple of weeks ago, and reinstalled correctly with the cam screw oriented towards the engine block (LH engine).

Lots of water is coming out of the exhaust.

When I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets yesterday, I noticed fairly heavy rust on a couple of the mating surfaces. I did not remove the manifolds from the risers and inspect them carefully. 

Is it possible that one of the exhaust manifolds has rusted to the point that water is leaking into one or more cylinders?
What are the symptoms of that?

Thanks 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 9:27am
BTW, I started and ran the engine for about 30 seconds this morning. Could hear the noise for a few seconds after turning it off. So it is probably not thermal tick caused by cold water on a hot engine - because the engine was still cold.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

When I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets yesterday, I noticed fairly heavy rust on a couple of the mating surfaces. I did not remove the manifolds from the risers and inspect them carefully. 

Is it possible that one of the exhaust manifolds has rusted to the point that water is leaking into one or more cylinders?
What are the symptoms of that?

Thanks 

I'd pull the plugs and turn the engine over with the starter and see if any water comes shooting out from any of the plug holes.

And look at the plugs as you take them out for any signs of moisture Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'd pull the plugs and turn the engine over with the starter and see if any water comes shooting out from any of the plug holes.

I pulled the plugs and did not see signs of moisture on them.
Also, checked compression. Low was 133, high was 145, avg. was 138.
Did not see any signs of water coming from cylinders with spark plugs out. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 8:12pm

I pulled the plugs and did not see signs of moisture on them.
Also, checked compression. Low was 133, high was 145, avg. was 138.
Did not see any signs of water coming from cylinders with spark plugs out. 

That's all good news for you 

I decided the noise sounded like my pan cooling off after I fried a couple of eggs this morning Wink ................but that doesn't exactly do you any good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 10:48pm
Friends,
This issue stumped a number of experts including a former PCM tech executive.
It turned out to be a valve train lubrication issue.
Changed the oil and filter, added a bottle of Rislone oil treatment, and the noise went away.
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 7:09am

Friends,
This issue stumped a number of experts including a former PCM tech executive.
It turned out to be a valve train lubrication issue.
Changed the oil and filter, added a bottle of Rislone oil treatment, and the noise went away.
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

So how was this figured out?

A shot in the dark oil change, some Rislone "magic" or something else?

The skeptical little voice in my head says maybe it'll be back at some point. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 7:43am

The skeptical little voice in my head says maybe it'll be back at some point. Wink
Isolated the source of the noise to the valve train and did some research online.
Found this blog: https://soundproofpanda.com/silence-noisy-lifter-tick/
Oftentimes, the solution to a complex problem is simple.
This was one of those times...

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 7:50am

Isolated the source of the noise to the valve train and did some research online.
Found this blog: https://soundproofpanda.com/silence-noisy-lifter-tick/
Oftentimes, the solution to a complex problem is simple.
This was one of those times...

The little skeptical voice in my head still says the same thing Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 7:57am
Eventually, the Earth is going to get sucked into the Sun and burn up without a trace...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 8:01am
If you say it's fixed, it must be, it's your boatWink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 8:16am
I think something was interfering with proper lubrication of the valve train. It could have been a clogged oil passage, degraded or contaminated oil, a clogged oil filter, or something else. The boat hadn't been used in six years and I neglected to change the oil and filter when it was brought out of storage.

So we'll see what happens. In any event, I appreciate your efforts to help.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 8:26am
I hope it works out for you.

I think if you mentioned the 6 year storage and no oil change in the first post, that would have been good info for people to know and somebody would have at least suggested an oil change

If you want good help, good background info is usually pretty helpful Wink

Get some hours on that thing now.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 8:27am
You might want to change the oil & filter again after a few hours of use.  It sounds like there was sludge build up & now that is inside your filter.  If it clogs, oil bypasses.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 8:28am
That's good advice and I will follow it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 8:39am
Hang on Buck

About the time you think the thread has wound down, (like about now) the oil recommendations will probably start rolling in. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic