Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt40 engine shut down

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Don W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt40 engine shut down
    Posted: August-29-2020 at 5:29pm
1997 gt40. Skiing and after a turn the engine surgd a little. Stopped and did a few other idle things then started back up.  It ran fine for about thirty seconds and then shut down entirely.Back at the d I checked and no power to the fuel pump. Ran a wire from batery to pump and it is good. I ordered and installed two new relays. Still nop power to the pump.  Checked voltaqge to the three solenoid switches and they are good.  Checked the ignition voltage and it is good goingto the pump.  disconected the kill switch and hooked wires together, no change.  ohmed out the wire from the relay to the pump and it is good.  I would really appreciate any ideas.Thanks!!

DON W
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 1:47pm
Fuel pump relays on the GT40 are a known problem.  I’d start there.  I keep 2 spares in my boat.  The Napa part number is:

Echlin AR 174

You can search that number on Rock Auto for equivalents.  Not expensive.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Canuck-Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck-Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 3:20am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Fuel pump relays on the GT40 are a known problem.  I’d start there.  I keep 2 spares in my boat.  The Napa part number is:

<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Echlin AR 174</span>
<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; : rgb251, 251, 253;">You can search that number on Rock Auto for equivalents.  Not expensive.  </span>
<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba0, 0, 0, 0; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; : rgb251, 251, 253;">JQ</span>

He said he changed the relays. It could be the ECM. No fuel pump power is a symptom of a bad ECM. They aren’t made anymore but myself and many others have had a lot is success creating ones cheaply with the instructions in the “Hope for GT40 ECM” thread over at Planet Nautique.

Also, interchange number for the Echlin relay that can be found on rock auto is: RY241 and is around $6
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Echlin AR 174

You can search that number on Rock Auto for equivalents.  Not expensive.  

JQ

JQ You should just say " the GT40 engine is a known problem" when it's not running right Wink

And like was already pointed out he's already changed them.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 8:15am
I might suspect the PIP signal to the computer from the distributor as a place to start troubleshooting

If the PIP signal fails it tells the computer to shut off the fuel pumps because it thinks the engine isn't running.

Do you have a copy of the 301 page gt40 manual that's missing from the reference section?  
donw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 9:43am
Thanks everyone.  I did change the relays.. I do have a copy of the PCM GT 40 diagnostic manual but I don't know about a missing page(s). The pip is not something I thought of. Is there a way to check it?? good info on the computer if it comes to that.
DONW
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 2:57pm
It's not a missing page.........the manual is no longer in the reference section.........temporarily Wink

I'd curl up with the manual and read about your symptoms, write it all down because it gets confusing and post here with what you have.

You could check your electrical connections/plugs at the distributor since the PIP is internal to the distributor and make a note of whether you have spark or not while turning the engine over.

Do the fuel pumps cycle on for about 2 seconds when you take the ignition to RUN or are they dead at that time also?

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I might suspect the PIP signal to the computer from the distributor as a place to start troubleshooting

If the PIP signal fails it tells the computer to shut off the fuel pumps because it thinks the engine isn't running.

Do you have a copy of the 301 page gt40 manual that's missing from the reference section?  

I agree, have you checked if you have spark at the plugs?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic