NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SJRR 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 4:42pm
Wow, flying a flat kite.  That's bold.  Very cool and, like myself, very old school, but Wow.  Not the safest things in the world, but I appreciate your getting out there and showing the youngsters how things were done in the good old days.  I've never had a crash like that (never flown a kite) but I just smacked my ribs a little bit last spring while swervin' and even with that I know what you are saying about dreading the unexpected cough and sneeze.  Just when you think you are getting better you sneeze and it feels like you've been shot in the chest with a .45 at close range.  Heal quickly Art.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 7:41pm
Art,
Wishing you the best for a good recovery. 

BTW, those flat wing kites never were safe so stay off it! 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 8:06pm
Feel for you Art. Take it easy for a bit
But what is this flat kite thing you were doing.
I googled, but are you riding it.
Pictures please
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 8:16pm
Daryn,
You're old enough so you should remember the old days with kites but, here's a picture for you: Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 8:59pm
Pete, I'll have to good-naturedly defend defend the reputation of the flat kite. 
There have been some nasty injuries; the best-known might be Ken Tibado, one of the pioneer flat kite enthusiasts.  He was flying behind a car on an old airstrip in Sebring, FL with his wife driving the car.  He crashed, and his wife didn't notice it for several (or more) seconds.  He was pretty badly beaten up and lots of road rash, but continued to fly following recovery.  He was the main kite flyer for Cypress Gardens in the 1950s, and had a business in Lake Wales, FL building and selling flat kites..  I copied a Tibado that was owned by Rob Shirley when I built mine in 1967. 
We know of one death as a result of a crash; at a ski site in Minnesota when Kathy Chapman crashed and unfortunately landed on the tow pylon of a ski boat that was parked on the beach. 
Contrast that with Delta wings, or hang gliders as they are sometimes known, which have taken the lives of nine (9) or more people who I personally knew, and there have been dozens of others who I cannot name. 
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2021 at 10:00pm
Ouch Art!  Hope your doing better.

Check out this guy- he has managed to incorporate old school tubing with a kite ! A true sign of a Champion. Hold my beer and watch this! Wisconsin's state motto. 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 5:48am
WoW! You ARE the Man Art!!!!!! Not that you didn't have respect around here in the first place I'd say after a stunt like that; you've tripled the Art Cozier respect meter. Can't wait to hear this story in person! Take care my friend and heal quickly. See you in a month!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 7:59am
Hope you are healing quickly Art! Another tip on healing ribs, do not laugh!!

Smith Family has been laying low and out of the loop! We missed booking a cabin but will continue to monitor and likely, at least, join on day trips. All the kids are busy but the boys, who are a little upset for my mismanagement of booking!!

Js
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 8:46am
Art, Get well soon.  Thankfully, the crash was not worse.  I didn't know people still flew kites.  I saw a show at Cypress Gardens in 1968 and the finally was the kite going up maybe 300' and releasing from the boat and circling down and landing in front of the bleachers.  Really impressive.  I had neighbors that had one in the 1970's and drove for them once in their Resorter 16.  Pretty intense with the observer telling the driver to go faster, go slower, and a panicky faster faster faster...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 8:50am
Well. I would not believe it if I did not see that picture. I can not believe Art was riding/flying that. Those are old school, I’m guessing NEW version is the parasail
Unbelievable
(Thanks for pic Pete)
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Art, Get well soon.  Thankfully, the crash was not worse.  I didn't know people still flew kites.  I saw a show at Cypress Gardens in 1968 and the finally was the kite going up maybe 300' and releasing from the boat and circling down and landing in front of the bleachers.  Really impressive.  I had neighbors that had one in the 1970's and drove for them once in their Resorter 16.  Pretty intense with the observer telling the driver to go faster, go slower, and a panicky faster faster faster...

Thanks for the encouragement.  Every day there is something that hurts less.  The kite that you saw at the Gardens was a different breed from what I have.  Mine is known as a "Flat Kite" and is simply a frame with a flat sail attached.  As opposed to a Delta Kite, or "Hang Glider" if you prefer, the flat kit never detaches from the boat except in the event of a mishap or an intentional landing.

A flat kite behaves in the air in much the same way that a slalom ski behaves on the water.  Shift weight left and right, the kite follows to some extent.  Altitude is controlled by air speed and the length of the towline.  In the heydays of flat kites, there were tournaments that included slalom and tricks,  Slalom was run similar to slalom skiiing, except that instead of buoys the course consisted of water geysers connected to pumps.  Tricks consisted of moves such as flipping one's body over the trapeeze bar, turning the body upside down and steering with the feet, and many more.  There are even unconfirmed stories about one of the pioneers in flat kite flying and his wife getting r-e-a-l-l-y chummy when flying double. 

Someday, if I can get someone to show me how to post photos on this site, I will do so.  I'm as close to being computer llliterate as one can be. 

It had crossed my mind to bring my kite to the River Ruckus, but it is a lot of trouble and prep, and of course the injuries will probably not be completely cured by then.  Phyllis has had experience driving for me back in the 1960s - '70s, but I think she will refuse to drive me ever again.  I would have to bring the guy whose kite I was flying when I crashed. 

"Art"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 9:49am
Me:  "I'm pretty tough.  I'm 66 and routinely do long line back deep barefooting, take some pretty mean falls and run the slalom course that includes some pretty rigorous OTFs.

Art:  Hold my beer.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 10:03am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

It had crossed my mind to bring my kite to the River Ruckus,

What could possibly go wrong
(Ken Spurling on JoeInNYs parasail, benjamin bayou gathering, 2011.)

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2021 at 9:37pm
Now, that's a unique way to ride a sail.  Am I seeing the photo correctly; are his feet in the harness?  Perhaps too hard a hit coming off the ground?  
"Art"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2021 at 7:31am
If you look at the spectators, they're watching someone narrowly escape serious injury or death.  At take off, the flyer fell to his butt, skated across the lawn towards a wall and lifted off just before the wall.  He was upside down when he lifted off, but got right side up and gave a thumbs up and had a good flight.  Fortunately, the driver knew what he was doing and did not panic and chop the throttle.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2021 at 8:22am
Yikes!  That looks exactly as described---a perilous situation--
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2021 at 9:35am
bigwavedave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2021 at 9:39am
Good morning unfortunately Big Wave Dave and the crew will not be able to make the river ruckus. My friend Clay Reedy has gotten his new schedule at the hospital and hast to work that weekend. With Covid there is no exceptions. We were booked in the squirrel cabin and I canceled it this morning. We were all looking forward to the trip and seeing all your great people.The best part of it was Clay and I are bringing a friend that we ski with (unfortunately a Malibu boat owner) to show him how great Nautique people are. Hopefully things will get back to normal this summer and we can plan a huge river ruckus next year Dave
bigwavedave
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2021 at 11:33am
Dave, why not let Clay repair hearts and you drive up for an afternoon or a day.  I will probably not be bringing the '61 SN as I will probably still be on the mend from a flat kite crash and won't be doing much boat-riding unless my ribs heal faster than expected.  Doc says 6 weeks.  Phyllis plans on us just hanging around the camp grounds and visit with people as they come and go. We are staying over Friday and Saturday nights. Broke at least 3 ribs and a fibula bone in the lower leg.  I'm not bandaged up or cast, but moving slowly.  It happened a week ago Saturday at Lake Silver, WH.  
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2021 at 12:07pm
Sounds like a great plan thanks Dave
bigwavedave
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2021 at 4:16am
Okay Gang less than a month away so it's time to start chiming in on what you're bringing to the cookout Sat Night. Talked to Les Todd last night and he said he'd be there. He usually hits the Blackwater Inn for dinner on Thursday night so I told him we'd see him then. Here's who we Got attending and what you're bringing to the table.

Morfoot - Spec Hole - Desert

mmfarmer1 - Ms Auds - BBQ Ribs

Flat Kite Art AKA Crash Cozier & Phyllis - ???- Utensils

Jbear - Bear Den

rebel skier - Eagles Nest

chessie - RV

skibum - Bluegill

Nautiquehunter - ???

Nautique John - Deer Hunter

ReidP - RV

LesterT - local

Woody - Local

It'll be here before you know it and I for one have a lot to do to get Scarlett, her carriage, and tow vehicle ready. Get it done kids. We'll be creating a River Ruckus on the St. Johns River SOON!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Okay Gang less than a month away so it's time to start chiming in on what you're bringing to the cookout Sat Night. Talked to Les Todd last night and he said he'd be there. He usually hits the Blackwater Inn for dinner on Thursday night so I told him we'd see him then. Here's who we Got attending and what you're bringing to the table.

Jbear - Bear Den

rebel skier - Eagles Nest

chessie - RV

skibum - Bluegill

Nautiquehunter - ???

ReidP - RV

LesterT - local

Woody - Local

It'll be here before you know it and I for one have a lot to do to get Scarlett, her carriage, and tow vehicle ready. Get it done kids. We'll be creating a River Ruckus on the St. Johns River SOON!
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2021 at 10:49am
Correct!  Art (with rapidly healing injuries from kite crash) and Phyllis already have:

Decent quality paper/plastic plates (not the floppy ones)
Solo cups
Plastic "silverware"
Paper towels (A.K.A. Napkins)

What else might we need??  (Serving utensils like tongs, serving spoons???) 
"Art"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2021 at 11:05am
Just watched river ruckus video 2019 on YouTube jealous looks fun
Please take 2021 video, so we can join in

Do not see beer on any list
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Do not see beer on any list

We used to provide a keg for all to enjoy but it usually went to waste. Maybe half of it was left behind. Most of the weekend is spent on a river or in the springs so there just wasn't enough time at Parts more a to consume it.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2021 at 8:04pm
Simple solution: BYOBABSFYF2*
*Bring Your Own Beer And Bring Some For Your Friends Too. 
"Art"
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2021 at 10:11am
Art-that is a good one!  It is also some of the best advice one could give to anyone attending a get together!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
mmfarmer1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmfarmer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 2:50pm
Only a few weeks away........Make sure everyone checks and double checks your supply list, you wont want to be looking for things once on the water!!!!

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Jbear - Bear Den

rebel skier - Eagles Nest - Juli and I will 1- plan to make up a broccoli and bacon salad and 2- I will bring a couple packages of wings again to also throw on the grill.  Mike grilled them up so good last time.  

chessie - RV

skibum - Bluegill

Nautiquehunter - ???

ReidP - RV

LesterT - local

Woody - Local

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
mmfarmer1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmfarmer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 3:34pm
How are we looking friends!!!! What are we bringing for Saturday's cookout???
Farmer's-Ribs
Morfoot- Dessert
Art/Phyllis-Utensils,plates
Rebel skier/Juli-Broccoli and bacon salad, Wings
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic