Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Southwind Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CTYSouthwind20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Southwind Restoration
    Posted: April-29-2021 at 10:49pm
My engine shop did a great job on the rebuild and balancing of my 351W.  We picked up the engine today, one step closer to new and perfect 78 Southwind!  

We're looking for a source for a part specific to marine engines.  There's a torque coupling plate between the crankshaft and transmission.  Mine's in bad shape, I'm looking for any suggestions on who would provide a new one.  Photo below:

Charlie
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 10:53pm
Call Vince at www.skidim.com
803-345-0996
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 11:34pm
Thank you Jonny Quest, I'll call Vince tomorrow!

Charlie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2021 at 12:23am
It’s called a damper plate.  You need to provide engine and transmission info.  You mentioned a Ford small block Windsor 351 above. Velvet Drive tranny?
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2021 at 5:28am
Jonny self admittedly likes to spend other people's money.

This (SkiDim plate) is a good example of that. Wink

For a 78 Southwind with a Borg Warner transmission, you can buy an ALTO/Sachs damper plate with a lot less of your money if you want.

It's an ALTDA-106A talked about n the link below. 

link. to the thread

You can get the 106A which is pre trimmed to fit your Ford with a Borg Warner 71C or you can get the 106 which needs trimming to fit.

Here's a link to the 106A

Here's a link to the 106, since the 106A may be out of stock

Here's a link to what SkiDim will sell you, unless maybe they'll sell you their Chevy plate (looks and priced a lot like an ALTDA-106 Wink)  and tell you it can be trimmed to fit

Over the years, plenty of people here have used the 106A plate or bought the 106 and trimmed it themselves.

The recommendation originally came from FFI marine transmissions

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2021 at 9:24am
The folks at www.skidim.com are great people.  I like to steer business to them whenever possible.  Vince has helped out many CCF members — often without selling anything, only providing solid advice.  No doubt that you can find parts cheaper elsewhere, but price isn’t my only consideration.  I’ve bought many items from them over the years and will continue to do so.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The folks at www.skidim.com are great people.  I like to steer business to them whenever possible.  Vince has helped out many CCF members — often without selling anything, only providing solid advice.  No doubt that you can find parts cheaper elsewhere, but price isn’t my only consideration.  I’ve bought many items from them over the years and will continue to do so.

JQ

Without a doubt, Vince has helped many but here Ken has, and continues to exceed at helping. The added benefit to Kens help is he always recommends a less expensive route for the same or better product. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2021 at 10:04am
Jonny and Keno, thank you both.  I ended up ordering the damper plate Keno recommended, but from SkiDim.  Richard at the service desk was really helpful and acknowledged that one will work "and guys use it".  I like the spring design better than my OEM part.  Mine had several chunks broken out of it.

I appreciate both of the sources, I hadn't heard of, or ordered from either.  
Charlie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2021 at 10:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Without a doubt, Vince has helped many but here Ken has, and continues to exceed at helping. The added benefit to Kens help is he always recommends a less expensive route for the same or better product. 

Well said, Pete.  KENO also exceeds at helping and providing valuable advice -- he also has a "nose" for finding good values and low prices.  And you, Pete, are another CCF member that exceeds at helping and providing valuable information and advice.  Thanks to all those here on CCF that generously donate your time and experience to assist our fellow Correct Craft owners.  This website is an awesome resource.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2021 at 12:38pm
Aw shucks, Ken would probably say that it's good to have choices available when you're looking for parts and spending your money,

Once upon a time you had some choices to make Jonny and you're probably glad you made the choices you did on a carburetor and distributor among other thingsWink

And Pete..........you're not supposed to say anything nice about me, it's not what people expect around here (us agreeing with each other), but Thanks.

But be careful.............I think they might figure out that we're really the same person with multiple personalities. 

And.......maybe SkiDim will update their website to say that the cheap Chevy plate fits a Ford with some trimming and sell a bunch more..

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2021 at 6:04am
Excellent, ken and Pete getting along
Coming next: pictures loaded from your phone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic