Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starts and then cuts out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starts and then cuts out
    Posted: May-17-2021 at 12:22pm
I have a '97 Sport Nautique with the PCM (chevy 350)  It originally had the EFI but two years ago I swapped it for a Holley carb, mechanical fuel pump, and distributor with a built in coil.  I took it back to basics as much as possible without having it pulled by a horse from the shore.  It had worked great over the last two years.  Unwrapped it and prepping before launch this past weekend.  It started right up ran for 20 seconds and then died.  if I give it a few minutes to rest I can get it going again, runs for 20 second (even at 3500 RPM) and then dies like you are cutting the throttle.
Ideas?  Diagnostic tips?
If it is fuel (first guess) I was thinking of taking a spray bottle of gas and hand spraying into the carb as it dies to see if it keeps going. i.e. confirming fuel is the issue
Could it be that it is using up what is in the bowl and the pump is too slow to keep up with it once that is gone? Could a fuel filter clog over the winter?  Are there any common issues with water trapped in the fuel system and then freezing and breaking something like a pump diaphram?
I did put Stabil in it before winterizing and I did sea foam the intake until it stalled out to protect inner surfaces.
Could it be an ignition thing?  Are there ignition issues that would work fine for 20 seconds and then cut out?

Thanks,
Adam
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 4:41pm
Adam.  The spray bottle method can help you determine if there is a fuel delivery problem. I’ve done this several times with good success.  Just be safe and keep an extinguisher handy just in case.

If it is fuel related, I would look at:
- debris in fuel lines and/or tank
- fuel water separator 
- fuel pump
- carb float bowl issues

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 6:11pm
After it quits, besides turning the key, what do you have to do to get the engine running again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2021 at 10:54pm
It looks like it was a stuck float.  I took the line off the mech pump and it was working fine.  I took the line off of the carb and sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner into the bowls.  Let it sit for a while.  Then hooked it all back up and got it running.  It idled fine.  I think that even though I put Stabile in there I need to run more with that last tank.  I will look to see if I can drain the carb as well at the end of the season.
Now that some carb cleaner and a bunch fo starter fluid has gone through the system what would you advise as far as protecting the cylinders or should I not worry about it and just run it a bunch?  I guess I am asking if I should fog it to get a good oil coat on there.
Thanks for the help and input!
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 5:03am
Everything you sprayed in there is long gone. it's been vaporized, combusted, vanished, don't worry about it. Wink
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 8:24am
My experience is that if the float sticks, the carb is gummy in other ways too.

So long term, taking bowls off & giving it a good scrub may be worth the effort.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 11:29am
ok.  I also am going to look to see if it has a drain.  I could empty it when putting it away.

When you change the oil do you pump it out or run the hose through the hull to a pan?  How do you remove the filter without spilling oil in the hull?

Thanks everyone for the quick response.  You guys are the best.

'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

ok.  I also am going to look to see if it has a drain.  I could empty it when putting it away.

When you change the oil do you pump it out or run the hose through the hull to a pan?  How do you remove the filter without spilling oil in the hull?

Thanks everyone for the quick response.  You guys are the best.

If you want to drain the carburetor bowls pull out one of the lower bowl machine screws/bolts with a little container underneath to catch the gas. One on the front and one on the back

If you're gonna pull the bowls to check and clean them, then you might as well pull the carburetor and clean the rest of it too, since all those tiny little passages will clog up and get cruddy too if the bowls are getting cruddy  and the floats are sticking Then you might as well have a rebuild kit so you have any extra parts/gaskets since you'll tear/lose the wrong part at just the wrong time Wink

Bags and rags and towels and a little creativity work pretty good for the oil filter removal

Either way works to drain the oil, unless you don't have a pump
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 11:16pm

I run the oil drain hose through the drain plug in front of the engine.  I let the hose dangle into a 2 gallon used oil container.  Warm up the engine first as the oil will flow better.  If you want to drain cold oil, let the oil drain for several hours or overnight.

It can be difficult to remove the oil filter on a SBF without spilling a bit.  I always place a couple of shop towels under the filter to catch any spills / drips.  I keep the towels in place for the filter re-installation as I like to install the new oil filter that has been pre-loaded with with oil to help get the oil pressure up quickly on re-start.  I usually fill the filter to about 3/4 full with oil.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 6:43am
I'm not  too sure Bacco  really cares about changing the oil filter on a SBF Wink

See post #1 sentence #1 for the brand of his engine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 9:25am
What is a good additive to run int the fuel to help clean the carb during the season?  Sea Foam?  Marvel Mystery Oil?

What is an SBF?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 10:40am

What is a good additive to run int the fuel to help clean the carb during the season?  Sea Foam?  Marvel Mystery Oil?

What is an SBF?

I run ethanol.

SBF: "small block Ford"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic