Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - jack up tranny/rear of engine for oil drain line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

jack up tranny/rear of engine for oil drain line

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jack up tranny/rear of engine for oil drain line
    Posted: May-18-2021 at 2:03am
Guys, my '97 SN 197 (project boat) doesn't have an oil drain hose; I have to suck it from the dip stick tube (we ordered our '96 and now that I think about it, we ordered just about all options, which apparently the drain hose is).

I got a drain hose kit from SKIDIM.  Because the bottom of the oil pan where the drain plug is is so close to the hull, the only way to get the fitting in is to lift the rear of the engine.

I replaced my tranny in my old boat but I don't recall how I lifted/supported it when I did it.  So a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to jack it up from the bottom of the bell housing where the tranny bolts on?  Or can I from the bottom of the tranny housing (or since it is aluminum I'll torque it if I do it anywhere other than the bell housing)?
2. While I will realign the prop shaft when I'm done, I'm thinking that if I support the engine/tranny and remove these two bolts from the tranny mounting blocks, I should then be able to jack the engine/tranny up (I don't have anything to lift it with).  I don't recall if there are any pins in these blocks, or if they are just supported by the two bolts (I'm assuming if I pull the top and bottom bolts out on both sides (after putting a jack underneath), it will jack up with no problem:

3.  Do I need to loosen these engine mount bolts so it will pivot when I raise the rear of the engine/tranny?

Thanks in advance.  It's been about five years since I replaced the tranny so don't recall how these blocks come off.  If this works, then there's a good chance my prop/tranny will be very close if not spot on like it is now.

Thanks,

Gordon 
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 5:15am
Most people loosen the front pinch bolts in your second picture, unbolt the rear mounts from the cradle, leaving the mounts attached to the transmission, and jack the back up from the bottom of the exhaust manifolds after the shaft is uncoupled from the transmission. That way you don't have to flail around with the  bolts in your first picture. The bottom one isn't much fun at all to get at 

Or you could lift from above with a hoist setup instead of the jack 9but you don't have that)..

It must take a really really low profile jack to fit under the bell housing or transmission.Wink
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

It must take a really really low profile jack to fit under the bell housing or transmission.Wink

I remember now how I did it when I replaced the tranny.  I bought a scissors jack from Harbor Freight that I could just get under the bell housing.  Since I don't have a hoist, I'll do it that way again.

Thanks for the points on loosing the front pinch bolts (I figured I'd need to do that).  Good idea on just pulling the bolts from the cradle.  Much easier!

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly this evening.  :)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 3:19pm
OK, dumb question time on my part............if the drain plug is close enough to the hull in a 97 SN that you have to jack up the engine in the back to install the drain kit, how the hell can you fit a scissors jack under there?

Why not just use it under one exhaust manifold and block the other side up with wood, just in case you have a "jack accident" .

Also just a reminder that on the pinch bolt, you loosen the nut to the end of the threads and smack the nut with a hammer to loosen the bolt
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

OK, dumb question time on my part............if the drain plug is close enough to the hull in a 97 SN that you have to jack up the engine in the back to install the drain kit, how the hell can you fit a scissors jack under there?

Why not just use it under one exhaust manifold and block the other side up with wood, just in case you have a "jack accident" .

Also just a reminder that on the pinch bolt, you loosen the nut to the end of the threads and smack the nut with a hammer to loosen the bolt

I don't recall exactly how I got the scissors jack under, but I think it was at an angle and I put wood in as soon as I got it up.

Are you saying that I can jack up the exhaust manifold on only one side and it goes up okay?  Was trying to get as close to center at the flywheel housing as I can.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 5:02pm
What I found when I replaced the tranny on my '96 it was not a big deal to pull the old one out.  But it's essentially a one-person job, and it was very hard to try to align the new one (heavy) until I jacked up the back of the engine so it was easier to align the tranny to the engine.  I then lowered it back down.  I still have that jack somewhere.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2021 at 7:06pm
I've always jacked under one manifold without problems.

Just have the front pinch bolts loose so it pivots easily on them.

PCM's are lightweights compared to a Borg Warner Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic