Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Couple of engine/transmission issues - 1996 SN GT4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couple of engine/transmission issues - 1996 SN GT4

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
emerscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emerscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple of engine/transmission issues - 1996 SN GT4
    Posted: June-29-2021 at 8:12am
Hi All:

Hoping for some help on a couple of issues that have popped up with my brother's 1996 SN with approximately 460hrs that we are troubleshooting. I've done some research but could use additional guidance. Boat has been out three times this summer since being de-winterized. I've summarized the issues below:

1. Squeaking from belt pulleys with possible harmonic balancer issue
    1. At idle, squeaking noise coming from pulleys. See link below for a video of it. This is at idle with transmission in neutral. Once throttle is applied it goes away. My biggest concern is the bottom pulley and harmonic balancer appear to be spinning out of round. I can't tell if it is an optical illusion or in fact the issue. There is a bit of belt dust but according to him the belts are original (he bought the boat from the original owner about 6-7 years ago). We've also had a recent low voltage issue that I resolved with a new battery but the voltmeter is still reading around 11. We are going to check the alternator but it was supposedly new about 6-7 years ago. 
    2. Here is a video of it - couldn't get it embedded - http://youtu.be/BpZof-pHNv0
  2. Transmission fluid leaking out of dipstick tube
    1. We've recently found transmission fluid in the bilge. All lines appear to be dry. The only place we are finding the fluid leaking from is the dipstick tube. I noticed at the beginning of the season the transmission fluid was low (we haven't changed it yet) so I topped it off with a 1/3 quart of Dexron/Mercon. I had noticed a little bit of fluid in the boat our last outing of the 2020 season but attributed it to the fact that we live at the top of a 1/2 mile steep driveway that has a bit of a pothole about halfway up that causes the trailer to bounce. I thought maybe I hadn't fully pushed the dipstick in all the way and that it had caused the fluid to slosh out.
    2. Now that we are seeing it in the bilge and coming out of the dipstick, I'm wondering if I either overfilled it or we have an issue with the oil cooler and that it is taking water into the transmission. I'm not seeing strawberry milkshake so I'm not sure if its taking in water. I don't think that I overfilled it since it measured properly before I took it out. There wasn't much transmission fluid in the bilge the first two times but definitely a lot more yesterday when we went out. You can see it in the picture of the the trans cooler below.
Brother's Boat - 1996 Ski Nautique GT40 EFI PCM-40A
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 8:18am
Peter,
I'd check the sheave alignment:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
emerscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emerscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 9:23am
Pete - thanks for responding. Just updated my original post with a link to the video. Let me know your thoughts. I'm not familiar with the pulley setup so I'll have to look at the sheaves. 
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 9:42am
Peter,
You mentioned that the PO swapped out the alternator so, do look at it closly for alignment. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 12:12pm
If you want to find the squeak, take off one belt at a time and see if the squeak goes away.

For example take the alternator belt off and run it at idle for 30 seconds or so, and see if the squeak is gone.

If the squeak is still there, take the Raw Water Pump belt off and run it for 30 seconds or so and see if the squeak is gone. You won't do any damage to the engine, exhaust in a short time like that at idle.

It'll also give you a chance to spin the alternator by hand and listen for any funny noises.

After you find out whatever you find out, you can fix the issue if you find it.

As far as testing the alternator, with it installed take a multimeter//VOM and hook one terminal to ground and the other to the output terminal on the alternator and with it running at about 2000 rpm see what the voltage is. It should be 14 ish if it's doing it's job.

Like mentioned in your Planet Nautique thread,  the most likely culprit for transmission oil in the bilge is the front seal, unless you really, really overfilled it, or the dipstick is/was really loose, 

Or it could be the rear seal or a gasket or O ring where the transmission bolts together

It sounds like the leak is getting worse from your description so it should be relatively easy to find.

Your hand or a piece of cardboard etc. under the bellhousing should tell you if the front seal is leaking.

Same thing under the back of the transmission, to see if the rear seal is leaking.
emerscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emerscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you want to find the squeak, take off one belt at a time and see if the squeak goes away.

For example take the alternator belt off and run it at idle for 30 seconds or so, and see if the squeak is gone.

If the squeak is still there, take the Raw Water Pump belt off and run it for 30 seconds or so and see if the squeak is gone. You won't do any damage to the engine, exhaust in a short time like that at idle.

It'll also give you a chance to spin the alternator by hand and listen for any funny noises.

After you find out whatever you find out, you can fix the issue if you find it.

As far as testing the alternator, with it installed take a multimeter//VOM and hook one terminal to ground and the other to the output terminal on the alternator and with it running at about 2000 rpm see what the voltage is. It should be 14 ish if it's doing it's job.

Like mentioned in your Planet Nautique thread,  the most likely culprit for transmission oil in the bilge is the front seal, unless you really, really overfilled it, or the dipstick is/was really loose, 

Or it could be the rear seal or a gasket or O ring where the transmission bolts together

It sounds like the leak is getting worse from your description so it should be relatively easy to find.

Your hand or a piece of cardboard etc. under the bellhousing should tell you if the front seal is leaking.

Same thing under the back of the transmission, to see if the rear seal is leaking.

Keno - thank you for this. I'll start with taking the belts off and testing. I'll also put some cardboard under the bellhousing and back of transmission to chase down the leaks. I don't have a "fake-a-lake" handy and based on some reading it sounds like they aren't preferred. I'll do some more reading but sounds like I can stick the RW hose into a bucker or add the "Timmy T"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 2:34pm
I'm wondering if it is really leaking around the dipstick if it's getting a internal pressure build up. Are there breathers like on a velvet drive on these PCM trans?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by emerscape emerscape wrote:

I'll do some more reading but sounds like I can stick the RW hose into a bucker or add the "Timmy T"

Either setup works, sorta personal preference

Kinda like the age old .............Ginger or Mary Ann debate Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm wondering if it is really leaking around the dipstick if it's getting a internal pressure build up. Are there breathers like on a velvet drive on these PCM trans?

There's a breather right on top of the transmission  above the shift/pressure control valve.on a PCM transmission

R034034 is the part number.

On a Borg Warner it's normally closed and opens at a slight pressure. On a PCM.......beatsthehellouttame 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic