NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fact or Fiction: Alternator Test?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fact or Fiction: Alternator Test?
    Posted: August-05-2021 at 10:56pm
Hey guys,

So today I tightened up my alternator belt as it was super loose and I'm charging up my battery tonight and will try to crank her up tomorrow. My question is about something my (sometimes) crazy uncle told me about this engine (1992 SNOB 5.8 Pro Boss): Once the engine is running, take the ground off the battery and see if the engine still runs. If it does, then alternator is good; if it doesn't, the alternator is bad. I've seen things online that this can fry the alternator but it seems like that's only on newer cars with voltage regulators? Can I do this test on my engine? Only asking because I don't have a multimeter! I plan to buy one in the future though.

Thanks guys,

Alex
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 5:39am
Alex,
Don't try it. Your uncle is probably old and goes back to the days of generators rather than alternators on engines. 

Get a VOM. A basic meter can be had for $20 or less. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 6:10am
Alex

You could mention to your uncle or yourself that your boat just might have one of those alternators complete with a voltage regulator like newer cars Wink

The voltage transient can turn a good alternator into a bad one kinda quickly.

It might work, but why take the chance.

What's your dash gauge read if you turn the key from OFF to the RUN position?

What's your dash gauge read when the engine is running?

Compare the 2 readings, that'll give you an indication of whether it's doing any charging

As far as the multimeter, since you plan to buy one in the future, the future should be now Wink

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 8:13am
A multimeter can be bought for a lot less $ than a marine alternator.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 8:33am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A multimeter can be bought for a lot less $ than a marine alternator.

Plus you can use it in the house and on the car and or truck too. Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 1:26pm
So..............you got this figured out yet?  Wink
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 1:53pm
Hey so sorry guys I've been crazy busy with getting ready to move to a new place...

Brought the boat to a mechanic since it hasn't had a general lookup since I purchased the boat last month:

Mechanic put in a new impeller kit as well as a new starter & solenoid (must've been the reason why it wasn't starting since I tried to start the boat while charging the battery overnight and only got "click" "click").

Took the boat right from the mechanic to the upholstery shop to get all new cushions (pics to come!), so I won't be able to test the alternator until I get the boat back in ~3 weeks.

The starter & solenoid does make sense to me though because when the engine did start, volt meter on dash was reading between 13 - 13.5 volts, which seems right to me if I'm not mistaken.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 2:02pm
If the voltmeter on the dash read about 12 ish and went up to those numbers, it's a pretty good indication that the alternator is working Wink
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2021 at 2:05pm
Awesome thanks for the reply KENO, I'll be sure to get some accurate numbers for you guys when I get the boat back to confirm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic