Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 SN GT40 Starter Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 SN GT40 Starter Problem
    Posted: August-06-2021 at 11:36am
Hello, 
I hope everyone's summer has been going good.  First a little background on the boat. Purchased her this spring.  Previous owner replaced the starter in it while doing other repairs to engine not sure what/if there was an issue with old one.  I've put about 15 hrs on the boat and the only issue I've had is the safety lanyard was giving me intermittent issues (start and immediately stall, restart stall etc....) but since I've bypassed it I've had no issues since.  At the end of a weeks worth of everyday use boat,  turned off boat to switch skiers and go to start boat and starter free spins but doesn't sound like its engaging ring gear.  Pulled starter to inspect and bench(dock) test.  Starter and ring gear looked ok at a quick inspection and when activated with jump pack gear pops out and spins.  Ok so reinstall, same thing.  Tried a few times and then it cranks and starts.  Figured we would ski while it was running without shutting it off and put on trailer when done.  Looks like the starter installed is a 3268N not sure of origin.  Now I have it back home in the shop and I plan on pulling the starter again and may partially disassemble it.  I'm thinking the nose cone needs to be greased?  I have already purchased a cheap charlie Amazonian starter for $50 SFD0001, which I think "might" fit, for a back up but would like to figure out what's wrong with the installed one.  Naturally I'm going to rotate the engine over with the starter out to inspect the ring gear.  Any other suggestions out there?  Almost forgot, my 2 yr old son "may" have, meaning he did, hit the start button while the engine was running right before this happened.  Any chance this could have damaged it?

Thanks in advance,
Burton
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 12:51pm
Sure, try to blame it on the kid Wink

The 3268 number is a Lester number for that particular style of starter. The Lester book is like the bible for starters, you'll see lots of different brands using/referencing that number.

Your cheap Chinese starter SFD0001 will fit and work..........but it's not "marine".

Click on the link below and you can see the difference between the Auto and Marine starters.(it's not much) You can also see where Ford stamped the part number if he replaced it with a Ford one. (Probably not)

It's fairly easy to take the nose cone off and check the arm that the solenoid acts on to shove the pinion gear out for engagement. It's nylon and could have been damaged when Junior hit the button or you may have shaft corrosion and a cleaning and light lube of the pinion shaft will help.

Things like the solenoid and the whole nose cone with the pinion gear and shaft will most likely interchange if your present one needs too much work. Most every part interchanges
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 1:33pm
Thanks Ken,
I already visited the link above and used your breakdown of the starters to help in my decision to order a cheapo temporary spare unit.  Good info on the nose cone removal/rebuild.  I intend on removing the starter tonight to disassemble and inspect.  I will check out the solenoid, arm and check the lube.  Seems likely that Junior's actions may have created this.  Lucky for me he is all about fixing things with daddy.  Come to think of it, maybe he did this on purpose!!!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2021 at 9:35pm
I would recommend caution if you are considering a non-marine starter.  The "marine" epithet or USCGA approval is all about fire/explosion protection.  The non-marine starters can produce a significant spark when the starter is engaged.  The location of the starter is low in the bilge at the underside of the engine.  A build-up of gasoline fumes and vapors plus a spark from a non-marine starter can be a really bad scenario.

Just my $0.02

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2021 at 10:22pm
Seems like a little RTV in the gap where the plug goes would be a lot cheaper than paying for the marine version. 
When you buy the distributor cap for a GT-40 the only difference between the “marine” and the auto one is RTV in the vent hole. Sure seems like the same thing to me.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2021 at 10:58pm
Just buy the Arco, aren't we tired of Chinese junk yet? Lets quite enabling them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Seems like a little RTV in the gap where the plug goes would be a lot cheaper than paying for the marine version. 
When you buy the distributor cap for a GT-40 the only difference between the “marine” and the auto one is RTV in the vent hole. Sure seems like the same thing to me.

Sounds like an old Brylcreem commercial................"A little dab'll do ya"  Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2021 at 6:56am
Burton..............just curious, did junior help you fix this yet or did you find any issues?  Wink
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2021 at 2:28pm
Hey Ken,  
Jr. and I were able to pull the starter out over the weekend.  I inspected the ring gear and saw some signs of wear but nothing I would consider to be excessive.  My budget minded/overseas starter didn't arrive until last night so I wasn't able to install it yet, plus I still need to "marinize" it.  I was able to tear down the old starter and did find quite a bit of rusty dusty and lack of lubrication.  I'm suspecting it just needs a good cleanup/lube/reassemble.  

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2021 at 4:22pm
Is the little nylon plug hiding in the picture, or maybe Junior is using it as a new toy or did it not have one?

I think that starter came out singing a chorus of  "I've seen better days"Wink

Maybe the PO didn't spend much on a replacement however many years ago he replaced it. (That's just another way of saying that maybe the old starter was an automotive one from some other country)

PS Your workbench reminds me of a little cleaner version of mine.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 9:21am
Ken, the nylon plug I think you are referring too is the one in the aluminum nose cone?  The old starter didnt have one..... New one got silicone installed.  Burned a tank of fuel in the boat with no starting issues with the el cheapo amazonian custom marinized starter. Im still not sure what the fate of the old starter is but i will likely clean it up and keep it as a emergency spare.  

My father built 2 of these work benches out of hardwood sourced from our property and milled by my uncle and cousin.  Very solid well built benches but not fun to move around.  He has one at his workshop down in FL and I was fortunate to get the other.  

Thank you to everyone for the input thus far 

burton
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2021 at 5:29pm
Here are some pictures

First one is the wide open spot that gets filled by the nylon spacer (you can't see it unless the nose piece is off the starter).

It's at the bottom of the starter on the motor side of the drain hole that's in the nose piece

Some places use the spacer, some use RTV and some use nothing at all on their "marine" starters.

How they justify what they use or don't use in place of the spacer, I don't know  Wink

Second one is the spacer installed

Third one is what the spacer looks like clipped into place

Fourth is the drain hole that stays open

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic