NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Repowering '54 Shepherd

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2022 at 8:21am
Great story line and a cool old woody.  Very nice.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2022 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Great story line and a cool old woody.  Very nice.  

JQ

Thanks, it's been a good project without too many setbacks. Now that it's "done" I'm thinking of what needs to be fixed on the boat next, to make it even better. The steering is a pain, I want to figure out how to convert the steel rod to a modern cable system. 

But anyway, my father-in-law took the boat to church yesterday, which was the first time anyone had driven it with the new engine, without me in the boat. Of course, it ran perfect, and now I really feel like it's complete. As complete as any boat like this ever will be, that is. 

All boats are sinking, it's just a matter of how quickly.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2022 at 9:56am
Your FIL must have arrived at church early...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2022 at 10:02am
Dang...church where you can attend IN A BOAT.  Nice.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2022 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Dang...church where you can attend IN A BOAT.  Nice.

JQ

This is how I ended up meeting my wife, if you didn't see that or if I failed to mention it. She went to church on this island one day with her dad, and I drove a shuttle boat out there. I knew her dad because I had chatted with him about the boat in the past. So I went to see about this girl who was with him that day and the rest is history, as they say. 

050851 Church Island, Squam Lake, White Mountains, New Hampshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2022 at 10:20pm
By the way, another Sunday, another Church Day for the Squamasee. 

I got to use the boat later in the day. It's running great. Not much else to say. 

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2022 at 10:21pm
That’s a great story!  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2022 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

That’s a great story!  

Thanks, it's been fun getting this boat back in service. I might have built up a lifetime's worth of father-in-law credit at the same time, which is never a bad thing. He also met his wife here on the lake, which is funny. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2022 at 10:54am
While the boat is still an old wooden boat, and will provide me and others with a lifetime of headaches, err, tinkering opportunities, I'll call this a "final update." 

The boat ran great all summer. For the first time in many years, it brought my father-in-law to church and back every week without incident. And also for the first time in many years, every church service took place on the island itself - if it's raining, they go to a backup location on land. But it didn't rain a single Sunday morning. And to finish off the summer, my wife and kids and I all hitched a ride to church on the final Sunday of the summer (yesterday). Since the boat was the reason my wife and I met in the first place, and we met ON the island where church takes place, it seemed fitting to end the summer with a family trip to church, with her father in his boat. I feel like the circle is complete. I slept well last night. 

Oh, but I do need to tighten up the shift lever, now that I think about it. 

I suppose all that's left is to have @ArtCozier come up and go for a spin, as he was so instrumental in the engine replacement process, namely in getting us a running engine! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2023 at 8:51am
One more update! This week I finally got around to taking the shift linkage apart on the steering column and I made a few improvements. 

The shift linkage had a few points where it could have come loose, so I sought to correct those weaknesses. At the top end of the shift rod near the steering wheel, the rod threaded into the top piece; that same piece houses the shift lever you operate with your hand. If you push too hard toward reverse, you can unthread it a little, which changes where F-N-R would be located for you. So I drilled through and pinned this end. 

And at the bottom end, the rod is splined as is the arm that connects to the shift cable, so it can't rotate. But in theory, if you lifted up hard enough on the shift lever - maybe by accident, hitting it with a leg or something(?) you could pull the rod out of the arm and then you've got no connection to the shift cable. So I again drilled through and used a cotter pin there to prevent this. 

I did a couple other things to the boat while I was there, and now I feel as though it's ready for another great season. 

The steering is still very, very hard to operate despite lubricating everything I can find. It operates by sliding a literal pipe forward and back through holes in the ribs. It's more or less original to the boat (some modification was required with the 351) and it's not any worse than it's ever been. I'd just love to find a way to make it a lot better. That aside, the boat looks good and I feel great about putting it back in the water in a few weeks. 

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2023 at 6:37am
Great thread - we miss that part of New England 
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic